Thomas Dimitroff Q&A

atljbo

Linkology

Q: From your vantage point, what’s the state of the team?

A: We’ve obviously hit some challenges along the road during this season. Some of the challenges were within our control and some were outside of our control.

We continue to be optimistic about the general state of the team, the growth and evolution of our young guys. Granted, we’ve had some inconsistencies this year that need to be taken care of going forward and over the rest of the season.

Q: How have the mounting injuries affected this season?

A: No excuses at all because we feel that we have some depth here that can step up when we do have injuries.

What we are encouraged by is that all of the players that are on injured reserve will come back and will be completely healthy and ready to kick off next season.

Q: Do you have to continue rebuilding the defense with the upcoming draft?

A: We are still in discussions about the direction of our defense. We feel encouraged by some of the younger guys who have stepped up and battled through and continue to compete with fire and passion through these challenging times.

What I find admirable with this team is that there is not a lot of finger pointing. People accept when they don’t step up and make the plays they should be making. ... I’m really encouraged that we are headed in the right direction. We will continue to hone in on this defense and continue to improve it through acquisitions in the offseason.

Q: How’s the cornerback group for this draft?

A: It’s a good group as far as numbers. There is some talent and some speed there.

Q: What are you reading now?

A: “Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman” by Jon Krakauer. He wrote “Thin Air,” that book about [Mount] Everest. It’s about climbing.

Q: Have you been mountain bike riding?

A: Yes, right there (pointing to a stationary mountain bike). I look out the window and pretend that I’m riding outside. I always have game tape on. I’m proud to say that I’ve daydreamed about being outside more. But that will be more of an offseason deal.

Q: I saw some of the scouts at the games last week. Were you all in meetings last week?

A: Yes, this is our first set of draft meetings. We spend a good, solid eight days regrouping and talking about the prospects across the country, determining what we need going forward.

Q: Given your secondary issues, why didn’t you try to sign veteran cornerbacks Mike McKenzie or Chris McAlister?

A: I won’t talk about specific players. But generally speaking, I’m not a big proponent of bringing in a guy late in the season. We did it at the beginning of the season with Brian [Williams].

Linkology

Q: From your vantage point, what’s the state of the team?

A: We’ve obviously hit some challenges along the road during this season. Some of the challenges were within our control and some were outside of our control.

We continue to be optimistic about the general state of the team, the growth and evolution of our young guys. Granted, we’ve had some inconsistencies this year that need to be taken care of going forward and over the rest of the season.

Q: How have the mounting injuries affected this season?

A: No excuses at all because we feel that we have some depth here that can step up when we do have injuries.

What we are encouraged by is that all of the players that are on injured reserve will come back and will be completely healthy and ready to kick off next season.

Q: Do you have to continue rebuilding the defense with the upcoming draft?

A: We are still in discussions about the direction of our defense. We feel encouraged by some of the younger guys who have stepped up and battled through and continue to compete with fire and passion through these challenging times.

What I find admirable with this team is that there is not a lot of finger pointing. People accept when they don’t step up and make the plays they should be making. ... I’m really encouraged that we are headed in the right direction. We will continue to hone in on this defense and continue to improve it through acquisitions in the offseason.

Q: How’s the cornerback group for this draft?

A: It’s a good group as far as numbers. There is some talent and some speed there.

Q: What are you reading now?

A: “Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman” by Jon Krakauer. He wrote “Thin Air,” that book about [Mount] Everest. It’s about climbing.

Q: Have you been mountain bike riding?

A: Yes, right there (pointing to a stationary mountain bike). I look out the window and pretend that I’m riding outside. I always have game tape on. I’m proud to say that I’ve daydreamed about being outside more. But that will be more of an offseason deal.

Q: I saw some of the scouts at the games last week. Were you all in meetings last week?

A: Yes, this is our first set of draft meetings. We spend a good, solid eight days regrouping and talking about the prospects across the country, determining what we need going forward.

Q: Given your secondary issues, why didn’t you try to sign veteran cornerbacks Mike McKenzie or Chris McAlister?

A: I won’t talk about specific players. But generally speaking, I’m not a big proponent of bringing in a guy late in the season. We did it at the beginning of the season with Brian [Williams].

"I wont talk about specific players. But generally speaking, Im not a big proponent of bringing in a guy late in the season. We did it at the beginning of the season with Brian Williams" and Williams was great, do it Dimitroff, please pick up some vet corners for the remainder of the season. I am begging! I love Grimes but let him develop some.

Edited by Ms. PrissyQueen

Thanks Jbo,

I had not read this before either. I found the statement "We will continue to hone in on this defense and continue to improve it through acquisitions in the offseason." Hopefully this means we pick-up a Grade A type FA...maybe an "A" and and "B".

He also mentioned that the draft is deep in Cb which I agree. Wouldn't be surprised if we draft a Cb in Mid Rounds 3, 4 or 5.

Thanks again jbo.

gb

Thanks Jbo,

I had not read this before either. I found the statement "We will continue to hone in on this defense and continue to improve it through acquisitions in the offseason." Hopefully this means we pick-up a Grade A type FA...maybe an "A" and and "B".

He also mentioned that the draft is deep in Cb which I agree. Wouldn't be surprised if we draft a Cb in Mid Rounds 3, 4 or 5.

Thanks again jbo.

gb

Yeah I picked up on the same thing. I think it should be a focal point to get "our guys" in free agency.

I think Williams may be out of it for a while and I never ever felt good about Tye Hill, even though a lot of people seemed to think a Rams reject could be the savior of our secondary.

I'm really hoping we can get Bodden or Fabian Washington and Thomas Howard or Thomas Davis. 2 of those guys had season ending knee injuries, but thankfully neither were as severe as Brian Williams' (which required reconstructive surgery).