John Abraham And The Rest Of The Defense.

B^rooklyn

That was just straight up embarrassing. I can't believe we are in this position. Is it just me or does it feel like the coaches and the FO have given up on this season? I've been a Falcons fan since I can remember (around 78-79) and I can't remember feeling this low, and I've been through some sh##. And WTF is up Abe lined up against the second best TE in the NFL? Its really looking like a coaching issue more and more. Our Secondary is making the same mistakes over and over and over. I really thought it was strictly an injury/personnel issue,but I'm starting to think we need to rethink our DC and Secondary coaches.

That was just straight up embarrassing. I can't believe we are in this position. Is it just me or does it feel like the coaches and the FO have given up on this season? I've been a Falcons fan since I can remember (around 78-79) and I can't remember feeling this low, and I've been through some sh##. And WTF is up Abe lined up against the second best TE in the NFL? Its really looking like a coaching issue more and more. Our Secondary is making the same mistakes over and over and over. I really thought it was strictly an injury/personnel issue,but I'm starting to think we need to rethink our DC and Secondary coaches.

Initially, I gave the coaches the benefit of the doubt, but lately it has been hard not to place some of the blame on coaching.

* Abe on Witten.

* JA98 on Shockey

* Lofton playing Maclin without any help

Those are all things that can be easily avoided. We definitely need a new DC. He is just plain garbage.

Mularkey calls plays like a Kindergarten student, but his work last year and the huge injuries on that side will save him.

Man up and play football. They practiced it all week so it wasnt something we just threw in there game day. They just did not execute. We are not going to change DC's so everyone can get over it. Do we really want all our young players learning a new system?

Having a DE covering an elite TE, or a MLB covering an up-and-coming speedy WR is an obvious FAiL.

There putting our players in a position to fail, thats not suppose to happen.

CMM and CBVG must go. Thet are horrible.

Really? You've been a Falcon fan for the last 30 years and you never remember feeling this low? We've had 6 winning seasons in the last three decades and you can't remember feeling this low?

The FO and coaches haven't given up. We resemble a M.A.S.H. unit more than a football team right now. We have lost our two top draft picks for the season in addition to a huge FA pick up. I have never seen a team, with as many injuries as we have suffered, succeed in this leauge. This is a good football team that just needs to get healthy.

I guess I'm just the opposite. I see the talent we have and know the future is bright for this team. I know the owner has done an admirable job considering what has happened to this franchise. I feel the hiring of Dimitroff and re-structuring of the FO was a huge move that will pay dividends in the future. I love our coaching staff. I think our HC has a great mindset and the players fight hard for him.

Regardless of what happens this season. The future is very bright for this franchise.

Really? You've been a Falcon fan for the last 30 years and you never remember feeling this low? We've had 6 winning seasons in the last three decades and you can't remember feeling this low?

The FO and coaches haven't given up. We resemble a M.A.S.H. unit more than a football team right now. We have lost our two top draft picks for the season in addition to a huge FA pick up. I have never seen a team, with as many injuries as we have suffered, succeed in this leauge. This is a good football team that just needs to get healthy.

I guess I'm just the opposite. I see the talent we have and know the future is bright for this team. I know the owner has done an admirable job considering what has happened to this franchise. I feel the hiring of Dimitroff and re-structuring of the FO was a huge move that will pay dividends in the future. I love our coaching staff. I think our HC has a great mindset and the players fight hard for him.

Regardless of what happens this season. The future is very bright for this franchise.

REALLY?!?!? Have you watched how teams keep them on the field in 3rd and very long situations?? I can understand the philosophy that you wanna start young and sustain and improve your D, but let's be real... this is a BUSINESS!! I live in Toronto Canada and notice that the games are nowhere close to being sold out. You need to keep fans in the seats and that's not happening. Granted that there are a significant amount of injuries this season, the schedule is a lot tougher and the rest of the league has made adjustments to what the Falcons will throw at them. So with that being said, I think we need MAJOR help at the corner position. Grimes and Houston continuously give up big plays and Houston always looks lost after he gets beat or gets flagged for P.I.. Decoud and Coleman have done ok especially Decoud. My question is... if the league makes adjustments to you, why not make adjustments to them?? The Saints signed 2 corners due to injuries at that position that had an impact in the New England game. Why couldn't the Falcons sign them to help in the secondary and also help bring along "the future"?? Grimes and Houston are fast, but don't have the size and strength to compete with a lot of the receivers in the league and especially the ones they play this year and next year

I don't think they've given up at all. They're simply under talented and undermanned. BVG defenses are basic 3 and 4 man rush defenses...most blitzes are poorly timed or if you look at the film players ...are lost. He doesn't run stunts very much either. The D linemen have to be exceptional for this D. It's a combination. We simply don't have the depth to overcome these injuries. Bottom line--we aren't very good past a few players. Abe being kidnapped isn't helping. Anybody find him yet? Anyone else have thoughts on this?

REALLY?!?!? Have you watched how teams keep them on the field in 3rd and very long situations?? I can understand the philosophy that you wanna start young and sustain and improve your D, but let's be real... this is a BUSINESS!! I live in Toronto Canada and notice that the games are nowhere close to being sold out. You need to keep fans in the seats and that's not happening. Granted that there are a significant amount of injuries this season, the schedule is a lot tougher and the rest of the league has made adjustments to what the Falcons will throw at them. So with that being said, I think we need MAJOR help at the corner position. Grimes and Houston continuously give up big plays and Houston always looks lost after he gets beat or gets flagged for P.I.. Decoud and Coleman have done ok especially Decoud. My question is... if the league makes adjustments to you, why not make adjustments to them?? The Saints signed 2 corners due to injuries at that position that had an impact in the New England game. Why couldn't the Falcons sign them to help in the secondary and also help bring along "the future"?? Grimes and Houston are fast, but don't have the size and strength to compete with a lot of the receivers in the league and especially the ones they play this year and next year

It's no secret our db's have struggled. We did make moves to bolster our db play by trading for Hill and signing Williams. Our defense has struggled as a whole. Not getting consistent pressure has put undo pressure on a young, injured secondary.

I'm not saying that I'm happy the way the season has played out. I'm saying that the direction this club is going is the right way. We were 4-1 before losing 5 out of the next seven. Injuries played a major part in the meltdown. This is a good football team when healthy. Do we have holes? Yes. Most teams have areas of weakness. Can it be fixed? Yes. And I believe we have enough pieces in place for that to happen soon. I realize that this season has left many of us disappointed. I realize our shot at making the post-season is a long shot. I also know that making wholesale changes in coaching staff and team philosophy would set back a team headed in the right direction. We all want gratification from the team we adore but I wouldn't trade anything that has happened the last 3 years for the direction I believe the Atlanta Falcon Football Club is headed.

It's no secret our db's have struggled. We did make moves to bolster our db play by trading for Hill and signing Williams. Our defense has struggled as a whole. Not getting consistent pressure has put undo pressure on a young, injured secondary.

I'm not saying that I'm happy the way the season has played out. I'm saying that the direction this club is going is the right way. We were 4-1 before losing 5 out of the next seven. Injuries played a major part in the meltdown. This is a good football team when healthy. Do we have holes? Yes. Most teams have areas of weakness. Can it be fixed? Yes. And I believe we have enough pieces in place for that to happen soon. I realize that this season has left many of us disappointed. I realize our shot at making the post-season is a long shot. I also know that making wholesale changes in coaching staff and team philosophy would set back a team headed in the right direction. We all want gratification from the team we adore but I wouldn't trade anything that has happened the last 3 years for the direction I believe the Atlanta Falcon Football Club is headed.

I understand what you're saying. Now it may not be the best thing to bring a new DC but if you can bring in someone that can make an immediate impact, and if need be bring in some help with secondary (ie New Orleans), them all fir getting rid of Van Gorder. It's one thing to have a weak D and then try to correct some of those mistakes, but they CONSISTANTLY get beat in the secondary. It's embarrasing to lead the league in "explosive plays" allowed. My frustration rises when they hold a team to only a few yards and then have them at 3rd and way too long and let the drive continue. Can someone explain to me why this happens?? It's like they play timid on 3rd down. It's to the point now where I don't even watch the play and hope to be pleasantly surprised, but the majority of the time I'm not

i Never Seen a defense put in this positions so often, we need a new Dc.

Well Philly definitely out schemed us last week. Many of their pass plays were designed to run off the CB and safeties and isolate a speedy WR or a back 1 on 1 with a linebacker. Every week it seems like the opposing WRs are running free on our defense.

Maybe part of it can be injury.

John Abraham's game is speed rush running around the edge. Just about every play he used to run a 10 yard sprint around the T to the QB. When the OT over commits to the edge, Abraham would use a spin move and rush to the inside. This year it looks like he's just trying to rush straight up. He's playing DE like JA98.

Maybe he has a foot injury or he's lost a step an can no longer depend on speed. At 266 pounds he's not going to get anywhere trying to bull rush a 330 pound OT.

If I'm a coach for the opposing team tasked with trying to figure out how to stop the Falcons pass rush, I do it by assigning two O-linemen to block him and sending to RB to chip him. There's no way I let Abe beat me. There's no one else on that line that scares me.

And that's what's happening. Abe never goes 1 on 1 anymore.

Edited by Striker42