Should the Saints/Colts rest their players soon?

Big Bubba

Well, title says it all.

Should they rest their starters?

The Saints play the Falcons/Bucs/Panthers/Cowboys in their last four regular season games.

The Falcons are without their starting qb/rb, a defense that is decimated and actually have the poor stats all around to show for it. - Surely some of their players can rest this week and still come away with the win.

Bucs- With the year they've been having, I'd think Payton would think about resting his main guys in this game also and come away with the win.

Cowboys- All the main guys need to play in this one, depending on how well the backups played against the Falcons.

Panthers- If the Saints are 15-0 heading into week 17, I don't see Fox playing them as hard as he normally would. After seeing him try to give Brees a chance last year at breaking that record, I think he has a healthy respect for either the Saints as a whole, Payton or Brees.

*edit*^ Unless of course all the stars align and a miracle happens that the Panthers have won the previous 3 games and the other WC hopefuls have fallen apart, paving way for the Panthers to get in at 9-7 if they beat the Saints.

Edited by 08NFCSChamps

The Saints have already said that they're going for the 16-0 record.

Oh I know both teams are determined to hit 16-0, but, should they?

Is 16-0 worth more than a SB victory? Is it logical to risk your best players in games that won't even matter, if the favorable outcome you want is to win the sb?

it is not proven that the best thing to do is rest your starters.....one reason is because you could mess up the teams chemistry......i believe its better to go into the playoffs with a hot hand than it is to go in rested...especially when your team has a first round bye already.....any one with status above questionable should play

I agree completely

Peter King broke it down that despite all the success the Colts have had during the regular season, they have not performed well in the playoffs despite resting starters in the last week or two

I guess a lot of it comes down to injury? Imagine Breesus getting hurt in game 16, going for 16-0 in a meaningless game regarding the SB? That would be devastating would it not?

yes it would but I bet if someone did a breakdown you would find a greater chance of doing badly in the playoffs after resting your starters than your starters getting injured in game 16

Lots of people are bringing out stats of teams that rest starters vs teams that dont, and it seems there is no clear cut answer. Coaches like bill parcells dont believe in resting guys, while others like tony dungy did. There are arguments for both cases. In answer to the question "is 16-0 more important than a superbowl", the answer is obviously **** no.

Resting is not even an option on the table right now for the saints though with the vikings still too close for comfort for home field. We only have nfc opponents left, so if they win out and we drop 2 they get home field.

I saw a stat today on espn that the colts have rested peyton manning and the offense 4 times before the playoffs. They lost their first playoff game in three of their games and then in the conference championship once. The year they won the SB they didnt get to rewst any starters.

Im surprised they plan to rest him again honestly.

Should you rest players when you get homefield locked up? I can see reducing the playing time of guys that are dinged up and holding off on guys that are rehabbing an injury. I can also see taking your starters out of a meaningless game once if it gets pretty well decided and taking your starters out a bit early in the last game.

However, I don't think you pull starters out because you want to make sure they don't get injured. The blessing of a first round bye is also a curse. It can take some of the heat off a hot team to give them a week off.

Honestly, I think coaches just have to be smart about it. Let you're players play and keep your momentum up.