Open discussion about Matt Ryan

SWIFT HITTER

Everyone on here knows me as a big Vick hater/critic whatever but that was the furthest thing from the truth I fell out of favor with Vick during the 03' season when he didnt battle back from injury and then eventually didnt stand by Dan Reeves from there I started to see things about his persona and his make up/game I didnt like

This leads me now to Ryan. We have to be honest with ourselves as fans and there are a couple of things I didn't like seeing from Ryan this year . Ryan took a step back with his pocket awareness this year . He wasnt the same as last year making quick smart decisions with the ball. He also focused way too much on Tony G in all areas of the field. During the off season I thought Ryan worked on core strenghting and it didnt show in his game this year . I thought we were going too see a improvement in his arm and making some deep throws. He continues to the lob the ball and get too much air and this is from lack of arm strength ..Now onto this toe injury ..It a way it bothers me and in a way it dont. I have mixed feelings.. The competitor in me says I want to see Ryan on the field and be that leader and give our team whatever slim chance we have to make a playoff run but Im a realist and Im already think were out of the playoff hunt and Ryan should rest and look forward to a 2010 season ..Hines Ward recentley called out a 2 time Super Bowl champion QB in Big Ben and I wonder will Ryan lose the locker room if he doesn't fight back cause of a turf toe..Things like that Im concerned with

This year we were suppose to take a step forward with our season with our team and with our QB. In all reality we have seen a lil regress. Was this from exceed expectations we as fans put on the team probably so we are still in rebuilding mode.

Do I believe in Ryan ................Yes

Do I think he will be a very good QB ........Yes

with that being said TD needs to keep surrounding Ryan with weapons and continue to build a oline that keep him standing. We have seen weakness on both sides of the ball and what we need is Blank and TD to be aggressive this year and take that kind of appraoch instead of bargain basement hunting like we did last .

Edited by SWIFT HITTER

Everyone on here knows me as a big Vick hater/critic whatever but that was the furthest thing from the truth I fell out of favor with Vick during the 03' season when he didnt battle back from injury and then eventually didnt stand by Dan Reeves from there I started to see things about his persona and his make up/game I didnt like

This leads me now to Ryan. We have to be honest with ourselves as fans and there are a couple of things I didn't like seeing from Ryan this year . Ryan took a step back with his pocket awareness this year . He wasnt the same as last year making quick smart decisions with the ball. He also focused way too much on Tony G in all areas of the field. During the off season I thought Ryan worked on core strenghting and it didnt show in his game this year . I thought we were going too see a improvement in his arm and making some deep throws. He continues to the lob the ball and get too much air and this is from lack of arm strength ..Now onto this toe injury ..It a way it bothers me and in a way it dont. I have mixed feelings.. The competitor in me says I want to see Ryan on the field and be that leader and give our team whatever slim chance we have to make a playoff run but Im a realist and Im already think were out of the playoff hunt and Ryan should rest and look forward to a 2010 season ..Hines Ward recentley called out a 2 time Super Bowl champion QB in Big Ben and I wonder will Ryan lose the locker room if he doesn't fight back cause of a turf toe..Things like that Im concerned with

This year we were suppose to take a step forward with our season with our team and with our QB. In all reality we have seen a lil regress. Was this from exceed expectations we as fans put on the team probably so we are still in rebuilding mode.

with that being said TD needs to keep surrounding Ryan with weapons and continue to build a oline that keep him standing. We have seen weakness on both sides of the ball and what we need is Blank and TD to be aggressive this year and take that kind of appraoch instead of bargain basement hunting like we did last .

I really don't understand your post.. but I will go ahead and attack at it.

1st off there really isn't anyone who is gonna step up and talk smack about Ryan's injury like Hines Ward did. Ryan has this locker room and will run it until he leaves here.

2nd turf toe is an extremely painful injury that needs to be taken seriously.

3rd we are this year as fans taking for granted our extremely favorable schedule last year. We have faced some really tough teams and Ryan has not lost these games for us, the team did. (Special teams, Offense, Defense)

You are right Matt will be just fine. As far as you considering yourself a "realist" you are **** crazy if you don't think we can still make the playoffs. This is the NFL and anything can happen, so don't just give up on the season because you don't wanna be like a Vikings fan and get your hopes up.

. As far as you considering yourself a "realist" you are **** crazy if you don't think we can still make the playoffs. This is the NFL and anything can happen, so don't just give up on the season because you don't wanna be like a Vikings fan and get your hopes up.

yea...as much as i want to believe were not going to the playoffs

I stopped reading when you questioned Matt Ryan and his injury. It's turf toe for christ sake. Guys in the NFL have taken a month off with the same type of injury and still aren't 100% for the rest of the season. :rolleyes: It's not something a QB can play with if it isn't fully healed and be affective it just isn't possible. Guy isn't going to lose the locker room because he is legitimately injured. Get a clue.

no one is questioning Ryan's injury if he is hurt he is hurt nothing you can do but from all we hear about Ryan being a leader he has to show by example that is all

Ryan is a long-term investment. It is no reason why he should play if he isn't healthy..... .

A lot of fans want to be blind, but the truth of the matter is, we have about a 5% chance of making the Playoffs. YOU DON'T RISK INJURY TO YOUR FRANCHISE QB FOR WHAT IS PROBABLY A MEANINGLESS GAME!

Of course, beating the Saints would be big.... playoffs or not..... but it is just way too big of a risk.

The 2nd half of the Giants game was when Ryan and Mularkey finally started getting it going. Unfortunately we weren't able to see if that would carry over into the rest of the season.

I would much rather sacrifice a season with very slim playoff chances than the guy who can lead us for multiple years.

Edited by hakim24

It's crazy that some people STILL don't understand how serious a turf toe injury is for an athlete. Playing with this injury can cause permanent damage. It's easy to say it's just a toe but go hurt your big toe and see how easy it is to walk much less perform as a professional athlete. I've broken my toe and you really don't know how much you need it until it's gone. I hope Ryan stays on the sideline until he is 100%, even if that's next season.

Just imagine what would be said of Ryan if he came back before he was 100% and could not move out of the pocket. If he cannot push off with his lead foot to run or throw the ball for that matter just imagine what his success on the field would be. Folks on here would be calling for his head on a stick. I think he needs to take all the time he needs. Even if it happens to be the rest of the season.

I agree with the last portion of your post the most. We need to be really be active in free agency this year,remember when we went after Turner everyone said we were overpaying for an unproven backup, well the point is be aggressive & go after the guys you believe will make this team strong & successful for years, one year fixes are just that & they seldom work out anyway. We have a young team, put a few hungry but still productive vets with them & draft the ones you feel can make immediate impacts & build from there. If this year has proven one thing it's you can never have enough depth. Don't be so cheap that it's to our detriment. P.S. I still believe Jerry & Moore are good draft picks & will be productive so it's like gaining an extra 1st & 2nd rounder next year. Go Falcons

no one is questioning Ryan's injury if he is hurt he is hurt nothing you can do but from all we hear about Ryan being a leader he has to show by example that is all

Ryan has lead by example. C'mon swift. First one at practice, last one to leave. Consistently watching video, studying the game. the team has nothing but good things to say about him.

secondly ryan's arm strength is plenty. Ryan played really well this year up until the point that the oline's passblocking went into the crapper. Funny how that happens. Also have you seen the defense? The special teams? We are a couple of missed field goals away from being 8-4 right now. And a middle of the road defense from probably having 10 wins right now.

Matt Ryan is going to be fine. It boggles my mind that the fans are questioning Ryan. He is so far ahead of the curve it's not even funny. Ryan is not what's wrong with this team.

C'mon swift do you remember 2007 and what poor qb play really is?

To be honest, I’m not going to fool myself into thinking we can make the playoffs. I felt we had to beat the Giants or Eagles to have a chance. We lost both of those tie breakers so we are all but mathematically eliminated.

This has been a bad season. It has been bad all the way around. Let’s not go too far and say that we have nothing to look forward to. Let’s not take our QB that won Rookie of the Year and start accentuating the negatives.

Ryan is banged up and he will recover. The Falcons along with every other team get to wipe the slate clean next July and start fresh. I’m not going to criticize Ryan’s arm, or start talking about his core strength b/c someone mentioned it in the off season. Next year could be even better than 2008 and all this will be a distant memory. People could look back on a lot of these comments and point out how overboard a lot of people went.

We are not the worst team in the NFL. After making the playoffs we have had a bunch of injuries and now are just middle of the road. Other teams that made the playoffs in 2008 and are now middle of the road or worse are the Dolphins, Ravens, Steelers, Panthers and Titans. Every year an average of 5 NFL teams that made the playoffs in the previous year don’t make it back. I understand disappointment, but lets not take it too the extreme.

I generally like most of what the OP says on this board, but I have to disagree here. I believe that Matt Ryan's big issue this season has been a lack of protection. Early in the season when the O Line was playing well, Matt looked fantastic and was among the league leaders in passer rating and efficiency. Unfortunately, ever since the Dallas game, teams have begun to realized that they can overrun the Falcons protection, and Mike Mularkey has done ZERO to try to confuse defenses.

Certainly I will agree that he may have become too reliant on Tony Gonzalez, but lets be honest...who wouldn't? You have a far above average receiver, a below average receiver, and the greatest tight end to ever step on a field, with hands that seem to be made of crazy glue. Who would you try to get the ball to?

Ryan has lead by example. C'mon swift. First one at practice, last one to leave. Consistently watching video, studying the game.

Yeah, all that extra time sure helped him this year huh?

Remember when Mora Jr would say Vick was the first one here and last one to leave?

How do you know for sure, you don't, Ryan's game is hot garbage and hopefully Blank will trade him and cut bait.

The regression I saw in Ryan's game was him looking at the pass rush too much and not looking downfield enough.

And when he did look downfield, it was only a quick dumpoff to Gonzales.

Its completely normal that Ryan hit a sophomore slump. Teams have adjusted to him and now he needs to counter-adjust to one up defenses.

I predict that by year 3 we will see the real Matt Ryan.

If the light doesn't go on by the middle of next season, then I will be worried.

Right now, I'm not worried.

Yeah, all that extra time sure helped him this year huh?

Remember when Mora Jr would say Vick was the first one here and last one to leave?

How do you know for sure, you don't, Ryan's game is hot garbage and hopefully Blank will trade him and cut bait.

yea you wish it was garbage. enjoy watching ryan in a falcons uniform for the next decade and a half.