"True Falcon Fans" I got a question for you.

justcs3

If the game was close, if we were in it with a chance to win, do you think the cheering would have been the same?

I'm 33, lifelong Atlanta sports fan. (Even the Trashers to a point, it is hockey)

I supported Vick. I got into debates in person and on here with folks.

When it was clear he was guilty, I was disappointed in him as a man, mad at him as a fan and sad as a Black male in this city because I knew what was coming next.

I support Ryan. I was glad we were selecting him. I followed him in college, as a Tech fan, and knew we were getting quality.

I don't know why those who are on one extreme or the other about the situation do not understand why your extreme beliefs do not necessarily discredit the opposing view.

In other words, those who wore his/her old Vick jerseys and cheered for him in a game where our team is trying to get to the playoffs should be ashamed. Also, those who are SO embarrassed by them and believe they are not true fans b/c you wouldn't have EVER done that and are not going back to the Dome this year should be ashamed as well.

It is not a matter of being a Vick fan v. being a Falcon fan. You can't judge someone's fanhood. I was criticized for going to Braves' games this year and booing what I saw on the field. I was sitting on the third base side when Diaz got tagged out after a passed ball. I booed my head off.

I felt as a lifelong fan, I deserved the right to cheer, boo, critique and honor my team based on what they are showing me on the field.

Yesterday, the team and coaches showed they didn't deserve my admiration more than Vick did. He alone scored twice while our whole team managed a TD as time expired.

We should feel more ashamed of the effort our team displayed than what a few fans decided to do. If the game was close, I'm sure the attention Vick got by some would have been different. Don't forget, there were a mixture of Vick's Eagle jerseys there with other Eagle ones. Not everyone cheering was a turncoat Falcon fan.

But some did, some wore their Falcon colors and cheered when this man scored against us. I'll admit, it's a cultural thing. Not so much racial but cultural. That's not an excuse but a reason. And before you start bashing someone's culture, you may want to understand it.

As proud as I was of Vick serving his time, keeping his head up and being back in the league. I'm more ashamed that my team went out there and gave a less than half effort. We were beat on every aspect of the game. That is what is the most shameful thing that happened yesterday.

If the game was close, if we were in it with a chance to win, do you think the cheering would have been the same?

I'm 33, lifelong Atlanta sports fan. (Even the Trashers to a point, it is hockey)

When it was clear he was guilty, I was disappointed in him as a man, mad at him as a fan and sad as a Black male in this city because I knew what was coming next.

I support Ryan. I was glad we were selecting him. I followed him in college, as a Tech fan, and knew we were getting quality.

I don't know why those who are on one extreme or the other about the situation do not understand why your extreme beliefs do not necessarily discredit the opposing view.

In other words, those who wore his/her old Vick jerseys and cheered for him in a game where our team is trying to get to the playoffs should be ashamed. Also, those who are SO embarrassed by them and believe they are not true fans b/c you wouldn't have EVER done that and are not going back to the Dome this year should be ashamed as well.

It is not a matter of being a Vick fan v. being a Falcon fan. You can't judge someone's fanhood. I was criticized for going to Braves' games this year and booing what I saw on the field. I was sitting on the third base side when Diaz got tagged out after a passed ball. I booed my head off.

I felt as a lifelong fan, I deserved the right to cheer, boo, critique and honor my team based on what they are showing me on the field.

Yesterday, the team and coaches showed they didn't deserve my admiration more than Vick did. He alone scored twice while our whole team managed a TD as time expired.

We should feel more ashamed of the effort our team displayed than what a few fans decided to do. If the game was close, I'm sure the attention Vick got by some would have been different. Don't forget, there were a mixture of Vick's Eagle jerseys there with other Eagle ones. Not everyone cheering was a turncoat Falcon fan.

But some did, some wore their Falcon colors and cheered when this man scored against us. I'll admit, it's a cultural thing. Not so much racial but cultural. That's not an excuse but a reason. And before you start bashing someone's culture, you may want to understand it.

As proud as I was of Vick serving his time, keeping his head up and being back in the league. I'm more ashamed that my team went out there and gave a less than half effort. We were beat on every aspect of the game. That is what is the most shameful thing that happened yesterday.

To say they didn't try is foolhearty and dumb. with so many 3 and outs the loss was bound to be ugly. our defense is subpar in its current state, and they were burned out before halftime.

Sorry, but I can't read all of that wacko.gif

That was alot to read and I understand some of what you are saying. It was really just an ugly day all around and if we were winning maybe noone would have cared about the people cheering for Vick. We really need to just put all this behind us reunite as the Falcon nation and support our team. Subjects like this really tend to divide everyone and unfortunately race sides are chosen by alot of people. I didnt like Vick when was here to start with he is not a quality quarterback and time will show that again. But as you said congrats for him he served his time and has a job again well wishes to him now lets focus on Ryan and the Falcons not the memory of number 7 leading the team those days are gone for good.

To say they didn't try is foolhearty and dumb. with so many 3 and outs the loss was bound to be ugly. our defense is subpar in its current state, and they were burned out before halftime.

Why do you quote his entire post when you have the first reply? That's what quick reply is for, just type your response in the box and hit enter. You don't have to quote the man's entire message back to him, he knows what he said.

I'm sorry for lashing out, but I have no life and it bothers me when people do this.

Edited by Adema1226

Good post

Bruh as another Black man that has lived in atlanta all my life I feel ya. But what you witnessed yesterday was what most of these fans are all about. Instead of taking their team to task for a lackluster performance they choose to take it out on fans that are happy to see what many here and elsewhere said, Vick was done and would never get another chance in this league. They talked about how classless reid was for making vick a co captain for the game, yet espns talking heads sated how classy of a move it was.

Now moving on to sunday, if the team goes down by 14 what do you think will happen? I know what will happen because we have been here before. It will be interesting to see what excuses the masses have come sunday night.

Bruh as another Black man that has lived in atlanta all my life I feel ya. But what you witnessed yesterday was what most of these fans are all about. Instead of taking their team to task for a lackluster performance they choose to take it out on fans that are happy to see what many here and elsewhere said, Vick was done and would never get another chance in this league. They talked about how classless reid was for making vick a co captain for the game, yet espns talking heads sated how classy of a move it was.

Now moving on to sunday, if the team goes down by 14 what do you think will happen? I know what will happen because we have been here before. It will be interesting to see what excuses the masses have come sunday night.

It's a shame that you think the actions of a few represent most.

I will say that I did wear my Vick jersey to the game yesterday and that's the first time that I wore it to the dome in 2 years . I wore my as was way of saying Thanks for the memories that he gave us during his time here when Falcons games were sellouts and we were getting on national tv and all . I for one did not cheer ( or boo ) a single time that Vick came on the field . I was kind suprised to hear those cheers go up when he scored he touchdown . I was more upset with way that Our Falcons played yesterday , I know we have a lot of injuries , but the offense lacked any kind of fire yesterday . I probably won't be wearing my # 7 to any games after yesterday . I really can't afford to by a jersey being out of work , but I did buy one of those t-shirts that look like jerseys ( Matt Ryan ) and be wearing that at games now . I will always be a Mike Vick fan , but I have moved on and since he's playing for the enemy now and I'm glad that's all over with , but I want you to know that I've been a Falcons fan since 1966 and that will never change ! I Love My Falcons and I always will !! B) I hope everyone will let this hate go and lets all move on !

It's a shame that you think the actions of a few represent most.

The real shame is that a few supporters and a few detractors keep this issue going over and over. It may be a few but they yell and scream as if they are the majority. And time and time again they've hijacked this board and taken away my fun of just talking intelligent football. Maybe I should stick to the Madden boards.

I will say that I did wear my Vick jersey to the game yesterday and that's the first time that I wore it to the dome in 2 years . I wore my as was way of saying Thanks for the memories that he gave us during his time here when Falcons games were sellouts and we were getting on national tv and all . I for one did not cheer ( or boo ) a single time that Vick came on the field . I was kind suprised to hear those cheers go up when he scored he touchdown . I was more upset with way that Our Falcons played yesterday , I know we have a lot of injuries , but the offense lacked any kind of fire yesterday . I probably won't be wearing my # 7 to any games after yesterday . I really can't afford to by a jersey being out of work , but I did buy one of those t-shirts that look like jerseys ( Matt Ryan ) and be wearing that at games now . I will always be a Mike Vick fan , but I have moved on and since he's playing for the enemy now and I'm glad that's all over with , but I want you to know that I've been a Falcons fan since 1966 and that will never change ! I Love My Falcons and I always will !! B) I hope everyone will let this hate go and lets all move on !

Thank you for your thoughts. Unfortunately, you are probably of the silent majority. Like politics in this country, there is a silent majority that are usually more moderate in thought and in action. That is the unfortunate part, because they are not of an extreme position, they usually feel as if they don't have a voice.

When in fact, they are the ones who should speak the loudest. If they did, they would most likely outnumber the extremists of the left or right and bring reasoning to the chaos.

Ahh, overgeneralization. Applying the beliefs of a few to the many. The sad seeds of racism are sewn once again.

Well from what I saw on tv and what I experienced on this board last night with the pool being "FALCONS FANS" I think I was spot on, like i said if the shoe fits wear it. And for the record i'm not a racist, but have been a victim of it on many levels at many stages of my life, I have never used it as an excuse and never will, that which does not kill me makes me stronger, however I will call a spade a spade and not hide my head in the sand as if it doesnt exist like some.

That is a well thought out and articulate statement. Cudos to you for being open and honest.

I'm just a dumb white guy, but I was broght up in College Park in the '70s. I lived in a good neighborhood that was all white and watched after the first couple of black families moved in and all the white people moved out because they didnt want to be around "those people". Most of those black families that moved in had kids my age and we became good friends, some still to this day. I was exposed to the "culture" quite early on and I understand exactly what you are saying, although I do not completely agree with you. Vick was/is a great athlete. He was a Falcon. He brough promise to the team, especially to those who have watched this franchise over the years fail and fail again. I saw people flock to support him because of the promise he brought, because of the excitment he created and because they were the same race as him. This I believe is a good thing. Everyone needs good role models. And the more familiarity one has to the role model the more affection we have for that person. I believe that the divide, if there truely is one, is that as a dumb white guy I lost all interesnt in Micheal Vick the day he lied and crushed this cities hopes at something better. But he was never a role model for me. There is something about watching someone we care about fall down, being human, and then returning to former glory. I appreciate this. What I have a hard time with is that this is a team sport and there are many role models on the Falcon's this day. White and black. To do what was done Sunday showed disrespect not just to the falcons, but to the men on the field who care about the city and families and the fans. I thought it was a good thing when Vick signed with the Eagles. I still hope he does well in the league, but not when he plays us. I cannot support a person who with greed in his heart turns on the people who loved him and supported him, although as a human being I can hope that he succeeds.

I get where You were going, But there is a huge differance between a "vick" fan and an Atlanta Falcons fan, You cannot be both right now...He destroyed this team and made us all go through a season that nobody should forget. Vick is an Eagle now..His followers should support him on that platform. He is not and never will be a Falcon again...Burn the Jerseys and all the garbage he is GONE! Those people cheered him when he scored on the hometown team....That's pathetic unless You're wearing an eagles Jersey. Some say it's just football...But people chose a loyalty to something and You must stick with it. They say football does not build charector it reveals it, WELL it sure revealed a lot on sunday about a lot of people.

From my perspective, why should the level of ones allegiance change depnding upon what's shown on the scoreboard? Such a flim flam stance is what's called being a fairweather fan.

Why can't fanhood be judged? All fans are created equal in terms of their fervor, passion, dedication, etc...?

Incorrect. Should we be proud of the way the Falcons played? No. But if you love the Falcons, then that love should be unconditional. Simple as that.

The 'We Want Vick' chant was the loudest noise in the Dome yesterday. Were there Eagle fans who were a part of that? Sure...in fact, I would guess they started it. As a means to embarrass us as in "let's get Vick in there and really run their faces in it". And what did we do? We said "thank you sire may I have another" as a collective fan base.

As far as the cultural thing...IMO that's hoity toity for racial thing.

1. He does drugs (dont kid yourself, more than weed)

2. He flipped off the Falcon fans on national television

3. He lied, in a pres confrence, about his involvement in criminal activity.

4. He pled guilty to Federal Gambling Charges to avoid spending the rest of his life behind bars for killing dogs.

Why would anyone what to give the impression that this is the type of behavior they support. This is the type of person they imulate, or strive to be like.

One other thing Thug is a word that has been around long before the black gangster so STOP TRYING TO MAKE IT A RACIAL SLUR. If you do not want to be associated with a stigma. Don't talk the part. Don't dress the part. Don't act the part.

That is a well thought out and articulate statement. Cudos to you for being open and honest.

I'm just a dumb white guy, but I was broght up in College Park in the '70s. I lived in a good neighborhood that was all white and watched after the first couple of black families moved in and all the white people moved out because they didnt want to be around "those people". Most of those black families that moved in had kids my age and we became good friends, some still to this day. I was exposed to the "culture" quite early on and I understand exactly what you are saying, although I do not completely agree with you. Vick was/is a great athlete. He was a Falcon. He brough promise to the team, especially to those who have watched this franchise over the years fail and fail again. I saw people flock to support him because of the promise he brought, because of the excitment he created and because they were the same race as him. This I believe is a good thing. Everyone needs good role models. And the more familiarity one has to the role model the more affection we have for that person. I believe that the divide, if there truely is one, is that as a dumb white guy I lost all interesnt in Micheal Vick the day he lied and crushed this cities hopes at something better. But he was never a role model for me. There is something about watching someone we care about fall down, being human, and then returning to former glory. I appreciate this. What I have a hard time with is that this is a team sport and there are many role models on the Falcon's this day. White and black. To do what was done Sunday showed disrespect not just to the falcons, but to the men on the field who care about the city and families and the fans. I thought it was a good thing when Vick signed with the Eagles. I still hope he does well in the league, but not when he plays us. I cannot support a person who with greed in his heart turns on the people who loved him and supported him, although as a human being I can hope that he succeeds.

I respect and appreciate your opinion my friend. I lived in CP, Stone Mtn and Norcross as a kid. I watched racial shifts firsthand. To this day, I can see the economic impact it has had (good and bad) in those areas. Just drive down Old National, you can see what was, is and what has become. Same with Memorial Drive. It's like an awkward evolution. Don't even bring up the mayor's race. Norwood and Reid seemed the same to me as far as policy. Race and gender being the main differences. But most voted along race, Democrat/Republican, rich and poor.

Again, you may not fully understand but you have your heart, mind and eyes open.

I get where You were going, But there is a huge differance between a "vick" fan and an Atlanta Falcons fan, You cannot be both right now...He destroyed this team and made us all go through a season that nobody should forget. Vick is an Eagle now..His followers should support him on that platform. He is not and never will be a Falcon again...Burn the Jerseys and all the garbage he is GONE! Those people cheered him when he scored on the hometown team....That's pathetic unless You're wearing an eagles Jersey. Some say it's just football...But people chose a loyalty to something and You must stick with it. They say football does not build charector it reveals it, WELL it sure revealed a lot on sunday about a lot of people.

I'm a Vick AND Falcon fan. He was dumb as **** and I was mad. But he has paid a price not all of our pain combine could measure. If you disagree, then would you have traded places with him? Your pain for his punishment?

If you read what I said well, I said it was embarrassing. But I also feel if the product on the field was respectful, some of that adulation would have been tempered. I believe it was as much as a slap in the face from some fans to the organization as it was anything.

P.S.-Some of his quotes before the game were ridiculous and show a slight disillusionment. I wouldn't expect anything more from him.

Yeah, when they say that, I'm sure they are referring to Al Capone :rolleyes:

So if a person acts like a thug you can't call him one? Is that a racial slur now? What about white people who dress like they are from south central and deal crystal meth, am I not allowed to call them thugs either? How about the Mexican kids who make up their own gangs and try to be like the Crips and the Bloods from the early 90s? Can we not call them thugs? I wasn't aware that black people were the only people that could be thugs. And it would be weird to call my finance professor who has a PH.d a thug just because he's black. Yet I would call Bernie Madoff a thug who is white.

Edited by scottbravesfan

So if a person acts like a thug you can't call him one? Is that a racial slur now? What about white people who dress like they are from south central Los Angeles, am I not allowed to call them thugs either? How about the Mexican kids who make up their own gangs and try to be like the Crips and the Bloods from the early 90s? Can we not call them thugs? I wasn't aware that black people were the only people that could be thugs.

As long as you're thinking Al Capone when you say it, it's all good :lol: