Jason Garrett tips his hand......

Enlightened32

It's also a common misconception that the running game sets up the passing game. Running the ball will only help the passing game if the formations, motions and backfield movements look similar for both running plays and passing plays because the defense keys on tendencies in formation and backfield movement. It's why Peyton Manning (Manning has the option to run or pass on every play) is such a dangerous play caller at the line of scrimmage and it's why Jason Garrett's ridiculous use of the shotgun is stifling the Cowboy's passing game.

If you can't get positive yardage running the ball out of shotgun, then you're telegraphing every play you run out of that formation. The numbers don't lie in this regard either.

New Orleans and Dallas are one and two respectively when it comes to run blocking, according to Football Outsiders. But when it comes to pass protection, New Orleans is 5th with 15 sacks given up through week 12 and Dallas is 19 with 25 sacks. Dallas' O-line aren't terrible pass blockers. It's just that their coordinator doesn't believe in the advantage of surprise.

When you fail to run play-action passes, or use formations that are friendly to the PAP, then you force your quarterback to deal with a defense that knows exactly what is coming when you set up in shotgun.

Running forces defensive lineman to fill a gap and occupy that space as the play develops in order to be effective, while passing the ball allows the d-line to drive straight for the quarterback with reckless abandon, depending on their assignment (if they aren't spying or dropping back into coverage).

And the statistics bare this out: Pat Yasinkas' Oct. 15 post on how Drew Brees has a 127.1 passer rating in the shotgun formation is no fluke. Yasinkas notes that at the time the Saints were only using shotgun 24.72 percent of the time, or 6th lowest in the league.

Conversely, in the week 10 loss to the Giants, Jason Garrett called for the shotgun formation (S11) 37 out of a total 58 plays.

When you abuse the shotgun you are asking to be blitzed, hurried, sacked and intercepted. It's like chumming a shark-infested pool before jumping in to swim a lap. The odds aren't with you that you're going to survive that lap whole.

Ive said this very samething 1000 times. The Cowboys problem is NOT Romo. Its Garrett and the pass blocking. Thank God somebody out there is paying attention.

Edited by Enlightened29

Ive said this very samething 1000 times. The Cowboys problem is NOT Romo. Its Garrett and the pass blocking. Thank God somebody out there is paying attention.

YOU GUYS ARE STILL IN THE THICK OF THINGS. DALLAS IS BETTER THAN MOST MAY THINK. YESTERDAY ..... WAS YESTERDAY ..... KNOCK OFF THE REST OF YOUR SCHEDULE

Edited by REV.2000

The intriguing thing is, Dallas is 3-0 vs the South and New Orleans is 3-0 in the East. Could get interesting in that one. Plus if we lose to the Chargers our playoff lives will be on the line. Itll be do or die time in New Orleans, for the team and Wade. Another melt down in December and I think more than a coaching change is in order.

The intriguing thing is, Dallas is 3-0 vs the South and New Orleans is 3-0 in the East. Could get interesting in that one. Plus if we lose to the Chargers our playoff lives will be on the line. Itll be do or die time in New Orleans, for the team and Wade. Another melt down in December and I think more than a coaching change is in order.

THIS IS KIND OF THE INTRIGUING THING ABOUT DALLAS. YOU DON'T KNOW HOW THEY WILL RESPOND?

IF THE MELT-DOWN COMES ...... SOMEBODY GOES. B)

Coaches.....COACHES.....thats just part of it. Since 1996 Dallas is 5-11 in December. Multiple coaches, same result. The only thing that will change this is either a overhaul of players or an overhaul at GM. Which do you think will come first?

LET'S STOP DANCING AROUND THE ISSUE. LET'S SAY IT, "JERRY JONES" IS MOST OF THE PROBLEM.

HE WON'T LET GM's MANAGE, HE WON'T LET COACHES COACH .... WITHOUT PUTTING HIS TWO CENTS IN

AND GETTING HIS WAY. THERE ... I SAID IT.

Edited by REV.2000

Id have to disagree, Al Davis by far is the worst.

true

as far as owners go

1)Al Davis

2)Snyder

3)Jerry Jones

and Jerry Jones is still far better than the other two. His team is at least competitive and making it to the playoffs so either he doesnt interfere as much, knows more than the other two, or is just lucky

true

as far as owners go

1)Al Davis

2)Snyder

3)Jerry Jones

and Jerry Jones is still far better than the other two. His team is at least competitive and making it to the playoffs so either he doesnt interfere as much, knows more than the other two, or is just lucky

Jerrys only problem is with his coaches. He hires the wrong ones and the players can sometimes go over their heads. Jerry has his players and when he demands they get more time on the field they do. Jerry wanted Felix to get the ball more before the Oakland game. Wouldnt you know it, he gets more carries (and a TD :D).

I used to be upset about his ability to draft, but hes gotten better in recent years. Either that or hes actually allowed the coaches to have a say. One thing is for sure. When your starting QB and #1 WR are both undrafted, you know your scouting department is doing something right.

Jerrys only problem is with his coaches. He hires the wrong ones and the players can sometimes go over their heads. Jerry has his players and when he demands they get more time on the field they do. Jerry wanted Felix to get the ball more before the Oakland game. Wouldnt you know it, he gets more carries (and a TD :D).

I used to be upset about his ability to draft, but hes gotten better in recent years. Either that or hes actually allowed the coaches to have a say. One thing is for sure. When your starting QB and #1 WR are both undrafted, you know your scouting department is doing something right.

JJ is light years ahead of Snyder and Davis. imo there is a great divide between #2 and #3 on my list

I hope you arent trying to say that Jerry is worse than Snyder and Davis.

I have 3 reasons why hes a much better owner.

1)lombarditrophy.jpg

2)lombarditrophy.jpg

3)lombarditrophy.jpg

When Snyder and Davis catch up, let me know.

What part of "lightyears ahead" are you unclear about?

Edited by joe horn

That was my point! Davis went to one but lost!

Well Davis and Jones are one in the same when hiring coaches. They want yes men so that they get all the glory. Problem is, Jerry has done better when hes had a coach that was more "in control". You need no further proof of JJ's ego than the release of Jimmy Johnson after back to back championships.