Falcons need to switch to a 3-4?

We all know the defense has been strugling mightly so far this year, and changes need to be made. it is easy to point the finger at the inexperienced undersized secondary. our real problem is in our front seven. our 4-3 defense is not working. our front 4 cannot get a pass rush, and having three linebackers leaves Curtis Lofton on an island in the middle of the field. on several occasions in the eagles game was Lofton forced to chase down the much faster Jeremy MAclin, and this cost us one play of over 50 yards. if were going to only have 3 linebackers, they need to be fast, and all three lack speed.

Before i start my explanation, you must remember, that the Falcons are a team of the future. the most important players on the field are the QB, MLB, and LT. all of those are second year players are on our team. we have young talent everywhere so our old guys need to go so we can get more picks in the deepest draft of this decade.

I think we need to switch to a 3-4 cover 3:

D-Line:

-Abraham needs to go. buy the time our defense is fixed he will be retired. we need to get a second round pick back and he is still valuable on a good defense were he is free to rush the passer. Abraham would fit in the seattle scheme and we could get a high second round pick for him this year.

-Bierman doesn't fit in this scheme. i wouldn't pay him to be a special teams player and i would try and get a 4th round pick for him.

-If Babineoux is back next year, he is our nose. a great disruptor and run stopper in the middle. Peria Jerry can be the third down nose until he is matured into a real player.

-JA98 (6-6 289) is the most important player to this. if he can handle this scheme he could develop into an all-pro three technique. (in between guard and tackle) many of these threads talk of his great play at DT and his devoloping pass rusher at DE. so I say he should go right in between.

-The opposite three-technique needs to be filled in with free agency. Kyle Vanden Bosch (6-4 278) could fill this spot nicely until the right players comes along (he's a little old). I wouldn't bother paying Peppers the money he would want.

-Lawrence Sidbury (6-3 265) should stay on the team. he's a project be he could be a very good situational pass rusher.

Linebackers:

-Lofton is a future all-pro for many years to come. he is stout against the run and shows signs of greatness against the pass. he needs another ILB to help him defend the inside of the field against the pass (hence the 3-4). if i were TD i would sign him to along term deal him and bring in some pass defense minded linebacking coaches that can help him defending his yellow zone.

- the other ILB needs to be filled in free agency. Thomas Howard (6-3 240) is perfect for the job. although he plays strongside on the Raiders he has the run stopping skills to play on the interior. if he doesn't opt for free agency, Barrett Ruud is also a great fit. he, like Lofton is having a breakout year and will most likely get out of the mess in Tampa Bay.

- The outside linebackers are crucial to this defense. the need to be able to rush the passer, cover the flats, and cover downfield. In this years draft and free agency, there is going to be a bunch of "hybrid type players" available. it is crucial for the falcons to get some speed on the outside. first i would like to turn to the draft and use our first round pick to take Sergio Kindle from Texas (6-4 255). he has amazing pass rush abilities and good speed to cover the outside. he should be a solid starter for many years to come. if his stock falls, then Brandon Graham from Michigan (6-2 270) would be a similar force. between the two, whoever out performs the other in the draft combine will be the better value. for the other OLB which should be adressed in the draft as well, i would go with Bruce Carter. he is a little undersized but would immediatly be the best cover backer on the Falcons.

Secondary:

-definetly the weakest part of our D.

-it would be smarter to go to a cover 3 scheme rather than the cover 2. this would put our innexperienced corners in zone coverage instead of man to man.

- Chris owens can handle the zone coverage and i would use our second round pick to get Brandon Cox who is a taller and more physical corner than brent grimes.

- Our free safety is still the combo of Thomas Decoud and William Moore to cover the deep middle of the field.

- the Strong safety eric coleman would be great in this scheme if he could learn to roll over the coverage and come up against the run.

This proceess is going to take a long time and the defense listed above is only after one year. the Falcons must take advenatge of the depth of this years draft and revamp the defense.

We all know the defense has been strugling mightly so far this year, and changes need to be made. it is easy to point the finger at the inexperienced undersized secondary. our real problem is in our front seven. our 4-3 defense is not working. our front 4 cannot get a pass rush, and having three linebackers leaves Curtis Lofton on an island in the middle of the field. on several occasions in the eagles game was Lofton forced to chase down the much faster Jeremy MAclin, and this cost us one play of over 50 yards. if were going to only have 3 linebackers, they need to be fast, and all three lack speed.

Before i start my explanation, you must remember, that the Falcons are a team of the future. the most important players on the field are the QB, MLB, and LT. all of those are second year players are on our team. we have young talent everywhere so our old guys need to go so we can get more picks in the deepest draft of this decade.

I think we need to switch to a 3-4 cover 3:

D-Line:

-Abraham needs to go. buy the time our defense is fixed he will be retired. we need to get a second round pick back and he is still valuable on a good defense were he is free to rush the passer. Abraham would fit in the seattle scheme and we could get a high second round pick for him this year.

-Bierman doesn't fit in this scheme. i wouldn't pay him to be a special teams player and i would try and get a 4th round pick for him.

-If Babineoux is back next year, he is our nose. a great disruptor and run stopper in the middle. Peria Jerry can be the third down nose until he is matured into a real player.

-JA98 (6-6 289) is the most important player to this. if he can handle this scheme he could develop into an all-pro three technique. (in between guard and tackle) many of these threads talk of his great play at DT and his devoloping pass rusher at DE. so I say he should go right in between.

-The opposite three-technique needs to be filled in with free agency. Kyle Vanden Bosch (6-4 278) could fill this spot nicely until the right players comes along (he's a little old). I wouldn't bother paying Peppers the money he would want.

-Lawrence Sidbury (6-3 265) should stay on the team. he's a project be he could be a very good situational pass rusher.

Linebackers:

-Lofton is a future all-pro for many years to come. he is stout against the run and shows signs of greatness against the pass. he needs another ILB to help him defend the inside of the field against the pass (hence the 3-4). if i were TD i would sign him to along term deal him and bring in some pass defense minded linebacking coaches that can help him defending his yellow zone.

- the other ILB needs to be filled in free agency. Thomas Howard (6-3 240) is perfect for the job. although he plays strongside on the Raiders he has the run stopping skills to play on the interior. if he doesn't opt for free agency, Barrett Ruud is also a great fit. he, like Lofton is having a breakout year and will most likely get out of the mess in Tampa Bay.

- The outside linebackers are crucial to this defense. the need to be able to rush the passer, cover the flats, and cover downfield. In this years draft and free agency, there is going to be a bunch of "hybrid type players" available. it is crucial for the falcons to get some speed on the outside. first i would like to turn to the draft and use our first round pick to take Sergio Kindle from Texas (6-4 255). he has amazing pass rush abilities and good speed to cover the outside. he should be a solid starter for many years to come. if his stock falls, then Brandon Graham from Michigan (6-2 270) would be a similar force. between the two, whoever out performs the other in the draft combine will be the better value. for the other OLB which should be adressed in the draft as well, i would go with Bruce Carter. he is a little undersized but would immediatly be the best cover backer on the Falcons.

Secondary:

-definetly the weakest part of our D.

-it would be smarter to go to a cover 3 scheme rather than the cover 2. this would put our innexperienced corners in zone coverage instead of man to man.

- Chris owens can handle the zone coverage and i would use our second round pick to get Brandon Cox who is a taller and more physical corner than brent grimes.

- Our free safety is still the combo of Thomas Decoud and William Moore to cover the deep middle of the field.

- the Strong safety eric coleman would be great in this scheme if he could learn to roll over the coverage and come up against the run.

This proceess is going to take a long time and the defense listed above is only after one year. the Falcons must take advenatge of the depth of this years draft and revamp the defense.

ouch.

only part i liked was when you said draft Brandon Graham.