Falcons botched situation at backup quarterback

FalconMama

Falcons botched situation at backup quarterback

7:17 am December 7, 2009, by Jeff Schultz

falcons.0813+CC6.JPG

Find the one guy in this picture who has proven he can play in the NFL. (Curtis Compton/AJC)

We’ll never know if this would have prevented the Falcons from returning to a pre-Michael Vick/Bobby-Petrino low Sunday. But it seems like a good time to broach this subject: Did the Falcons goof on a backup quarterback?

Yes, this team’s playoff hopes probably were sunk regardless without quarterback Matt Ryan. Add the absence of running back Michael Turner and several other injuries and the situation becomes even more desperate. But it has struck me for two seasons that the Falcons have gone on the cheap at backup quarterback.

The salary cap limits options. But every team should have either: 1) A dependable veteran backup who has started games in the NFL, or, 2) A young quarterback quarterback considered talented enough to become a starter one day. The Falcons have neither. One way or another, a team needs somebody who can come in and make plays.

The depth chart behind Ryan is:

♦ Chris Redman. He’s the current emergency starter who spent three years out of football and was pedestrian for the four seasons before that. He was brought back by Petrino in 2007. Redman did a nice job off the bench two weeks ago against Tampa Bay to pull out a win. But that was the 1-11 Buccaneers.

♦ John Parker Wilson. He was an undrafted free agent. I need say no more.

♦ D.J. Shockley. He recently was re-signed for depth purposes after washing out as a seventh-round draft pick. Shockley has shown he has talent but he never has been able to put it together on the field in the NFL.

Is this the best the team can do?

The Philadelphia Eagles, who just dismembered the Falcons, have two backups behind Donovan McNabb: Michael Vick (you know the background) and Kevin Kolb (a second-round draft pick in 2007).

Nothing can be done to rescue this depth chart now. But the Falcons need to find a better safety net before next season.

The Saints backup is Mark Brunell. The Steelers backups are Batch and Dixon. What's his point? Redman isn't horrible, but he's never going to be great.

Backups are backups for a reason. Whining about them after your starter goes down is just lazy writing.

Brunell was a decent starter in the league for a while. Batch has proven he can win games when needed. Redman is GARBAGE.

Brunell was a decent starter in the league for a while. Batch has proven he can win games when needed. Redman is GARBAGE.

Brunell is 85 years old and ask Detroit fans how well Batch can win games.

Like I said, Redman isn't great, but he is OK. He's even got a Super Bowl ring. Right now the problem is that we can't have to depend on him to win games. If we are struggling in the run game and the defense is getting tired from being on the field too long, then we're in trouble.

Brunell is 85 years old and ask Detroit fans how well Batch can win games.

Like I said, Redman isn't great, but he is OK. He's even got a Super Bowl ring. Right now the problem is that we can't have to depend on him to win games. If we are struggling in the run game and the defense is getting tired from being on the field too long, then we're in trouble.

I agree with this in principle. However, our defense looks the same whether they're out there for 20 minutes in a game or 45 minutes in a game. No pressure, no coverage, give up huge 3rd down plays time and time again. They can't get THEMSELVES off of the field, regardless of the offense.

I agree with this in principle. However, our defense looks the same whether they're out there for 20 minutes in a game or 45 minutes in a game. No pressure, no coverage, give up huge 3rd down plays time and time again. They can't get THEMSELVES off of the field, regardless of the offense.

I think the biggest thing with the defense is the Lawyer Milloy effect. Letting him go and shifting Coleman over to SS has created a domino effect on the whole defense. Pittsburgh has been living it all year without Troy P. That and we're trying to play smart and not have to blitz constantly, but our front four is getting zero pressure this season.