Peter King on the Falcon/Eagles game

FalconMama

"We want Vick! We want Vick!''

Michael Vick, 45 minutes after one of the most memorable games of his star-crossed NFL career, was still so emotional about it that I could almost feel his goosebumps over the phone. The day started with him being booed by the Georgia Dome crowd, but when Andy Reid called a couple of plays catering to Vick's strengths -- and they worked -- the crowd switched. It was a Vick lovefest.

"We want Vick! We want Vick!'' came the chant from every corner of the Dome.

"Awesome, awesome,'' Vick said over the phone from Atlanta. "I had chills down my spine. I will never, ever forget this day. To have them say they want me to be a part of their team, their city ... I just appreciate it so much. I appreciate everything about today. This will always be my hometown-away-from-home ...''

In the 34-7 win over the Falcons (to be fair, playing without Matt Ryan, who got standing ovations of his own in this same Dome last year as Vick's heir), Vick finally got to throw the ball downfield. People credit Vick for his athleticism, and justifiably, but I say he's got one of the three best arms in football, and two years in federal custody didn't rob him of that.

In the Eagles' first 11 games, Vick had touched the ball 18 times and generated 74 unspectacular yards. But in the third quarter Sunday, on third-and-one from the Falcons' five, he wriggled through the line for a five-yard touchdown. And after the chant got loud early in the fourth quarter, Reid put him back in the game and Vick threw a bomb up the left seam. It was so perfectly thrown, bisecting double-coverage, that Reggie Browns got interfered with and still caught the 43-yard throw.

"We've had that play in the playbook all season, but we haven't called it,'' said Vick. "In practice, I overthrow it every week, but this time, the safety bit on it and he [brown] went up and got it. Thrilling.''

I told Vick the FOX cameras caught him talking to Arthur Blank before the game, and I wondered what they said. "Family stuff,'' he said. "It was good. We're going to have dinner in the offseason.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/12/06/mmqb/1.html

"We want Vick! We want Vick!''

Michael Vick, 45 minutes after one of the most memorable games of his star-crossed NFL career, was still so emotional about it that I could almost feel his goosebumps over the phone. The day started with him being booed by the Georgia Dome crowd, but when Andy Reid called a couple of plays catering to Vick's strengths -- and they worked -- the crowd switched. It was a Vick lovefest.

"We want Vick! We want Vick!'' came the chant from every corner of the Dome.

"Awesome, awesome,'' Vick said over the phone from Atlanta. "I had chills down my spine. I will never, ever forget this day. To have them say they want me to be a part of their team, their city ... I just appreciate it so much. I appreciate everything about today. This will always be my hometown-away-from-home ...''

In the 34-7 win over the Falcons (to be fair, playing without Matt Ryan, who got standing ovations of his own in this same Dome last year as Vick's heir), Vick finally got to throw the ball downfield. People credit Vick for his athleticism, and justifiably, but I say he's got one of the three best arms in football, and two years in federal custody didn't rob him of that.

In the Eagles' first 11 games, Vick had touched the ball 18 times and generated 74 unspectacular yards. But in the third quarter Sunday, on third-and-one from the Falcons' five, he wriggled through the line for a five-yard touchdown. And after the chant got loud early in the fourth quarter, Reid put him back in the game and Vick threw a bomb up the left seam. It was so perfectly thrown, bisecting double-coverage, that Reggie Browns got interfered with and still caught the 43-yard throw.

"We've had that play in the playbook all season, but we haven't called it,'' said Vick. "In practice, I overthrow it every week, but this time, the safety bit on it and he [brown] went up and got it. Thrilling.''

I told Vick the FOX cameras caught him talking to Arthur Blank before the game, and I wondered what they said. "Family stuff,'' he said. "It was good. We're going to have dinner in the offseason.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/12/06/mmqb/1.html

Great article, love the reference to his arm!!!! B)

Oh lord.. well at least Vick feels like Atlanta is still his home, all the fans there seemed to make him and the Eagles feel like they were playing in Philly but Vick will probably retire in Atlanta where he belongs..

And it's cool Blank is cool headed with Vick and will have him over for dinner, Blank's too nice if you ask me, deserves a better team to own or a better city to have a team in, thats one thing i give ya'll Kudo's on, having such a cool owner.

With all of this and that said, at least it's all going down in the place thats well deserving of it.

Oh lord.. well at least Vick feels like Atlanta is still his home, all the fans there seemed to make him and the Eagles feel like they were playing in Philly but Vick will probably retire in Atlanta where he belongs..

And it's cool Blank is cool headed with Vick and will have him over for dinner, Blank's too nice if you ask me, deserves a better team to own or a better city to have a team in, thats one thing i give ya'll Kudo's on, having such a cool owner.

With all of this and that said, at least it's all going down in the place thats well deserving of it.

As much as I hate to agree with you, you're right he does deserve a better team.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if Vick EVER started in the NFL again. Maybe a backup somewhere else. Carolina wants one of the young guys out of college like Jimmy Clausen.

Every team is pretty much set on Qb except Carolina, Oakland, Buffalo, and maybe Seattle. Mora won't have Vick in Seattle either. Vick already got him fired once. I just do not see Vick staring anywhere for the time being.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if Vick EVER started in the NFL again. Maybe a backup somewhere else. Carolina wants one of the young guys out of college like Jimmy Clausen.

Every team is pretty much set on Qb except Carolina, Oakland, Buffalo, and maybe Seattle. Mora won't have Vick in Seattle either. Vick already got him fired once. I just do not see Vick staring anywhere for the time being.

And just how are the Panthers gonna get Clausen with no first rounder? Vick is a good fit for that team

Falcon fans don't want Vick to be a part of the team or city! Vick fans do.

Look - I was at the game and I'm still disgusted. One of the worst experiences I have ever had at the dome. But by the time the chant started, most Falcon fans were either gone or beat down from how bad the team looked. That left mostly Eagle fans (and vick fans) in the dome. Really, bu this time all I mostly saw in lower level were green eagle jerseys. Yes the chant was loud, that chant did not come from us (Falcon fans). And the crowd was cheering to see him on the field at that moment, not to come back to Atlanta.

Argghh I love this team and I love Mr. Blank. Just sad.......really sad.

Look - I was at the game and I'm still disgusted. One of the worst experiences I have ever had at the dome. But by the time the chant started, most Falcon fans were either gone or beat down from how bad the team looked. That left mostly Eagle fans (and vick fans) in the dome. Really, bu this time all I mostly saw in lower level were green eagle jerseys. Yes the chant was loud, that chant did not come from us (Falcon fans). And the crowd was cheering to see him on the field at that moment, not to come back to Atlanta.

As much as I hate to agree with you, you're right he does deserve a better team.

He's responsible for the team he owns now. He is 100% responsible for how the team is. If he wants to build a loyal fan base, he needs to turn the culture around and start build a team that competes, more years than not.

You are exactly right, there are Vick fans and there are Falcons fans and the two shouldn't be confused. I am a fan of MV7. But, no way no how would I be cheering for him against my Birds. Therein lies the distinction... Those people in red and black who were cheering for MV7 yesterday as he torched our sorry defense are not Falcons fans. Personally, I think this is OK. It's ok to be a fan of a player. There's no harm or shame in it. I live in Cleveland and I sat next to a lady at a Cavs game during the playoffs last year, she was wearing an Orlando jersey, she would cheer for LeBron, then Cheer for Dwight Howard, then boo Turkeyglue and other Orlando players. It was bizarre, but that's how she enjoys sports. To each his/her own. But she sure couldn't call herself a "Magic Fan".

Wow, I teared up reading this(it's ok i'm a girl). It makes me SO mad and sad at our fan base. It's not bad enough that we lost so miserably but that "Falcon" fans were cheering for the opposite team to score even more points. I don't understand it, it makes me feel so embarrassed. I think I'm going to stay away from all articles concerning that game because there is still way too much anger in me concerning the so called fans.

They have a good team with no qb vick to smith is a tantalizing possibility, best believe they are thinking about it.

I can't think of a fan base that hates Vick worse than the Carolina Panthers. Away games there when we had him were just downright nasty and you should have heard the radio shows up here when the rumour that CAR was interested in signing Vick this past off season. The fans were ready to tar and feather the Panthers front office at the thought. Trust me, Carolina has a very wine and cheese, silver haired PSL base, no way is Richardson ready to pizz off his fanbase with anyone remotely as controversial as Vick.

Wow, I teared up reading this(it's ok i'm a girl). It makes me SO mad and sad at our fan base. It's not bad enough that we lost so miserably but that "Falcon" fans were cheering for the opposite team to score even more points. I don't understand it, it makes me feel so embarrassed. I think I'm going to stay away from all articles concerning that game because there is still way too much anger in me concerning the so called fans.

Don't be sad. Just realize there are differences between team fans and player fans. You can go to any city in the country and see people wearing red and black Vick shirts. Are they Falcon's fans? Naaaa. They just like Vick. Remember... Vick fans, and Falcons fans. Two different things. You can be both, but not if you're cheering against the Falcons. If you make this distinction these things are much less frustrating.

I can't think of a fan base that hates Vick worse than the Carolina Panthers. Away games there when we had him were just downright nasty and you should have heard the radio shows up here when the rumour that CAR was interested in signing Vick this past off season. The fans were ready to tar and feather the Panthers front office at the thought. Trust me, Carolina has a very wine and cheese, silver haired PSL base, no way is Richardson ready to pizz off his fanbase with anyone remotely as controversial as Vick.

Cuz he was on the other team...trust me...with what Delhomme is giving them and how he torched them, you'd have a small amount of resistance, but I think most fans would at least be open to bringing him in if they didn't break the bank (which they won't). Low risk, high reward.

I really hope this gets under the skin of every guy in our locker room after that piss poor performance they gave yesterday.

i hate how no one brings up the fact that he was booed at the start of the game when most of the true falcon fans were still in their seats

You are correct. It was pretty loud on TV too. Like I said in a previous thread, people should have expected a circus at this game. Not surprised one bit on how things went down in the stands when the Falcons were getting their nose rubbed in it. As a Falcons fan, I'm more pizzed off that the Falcons laid down for the Iggles and didn't give the Falcons fans the satisfaction of lauging the Iggle/Vick fans out of the stadium.

You are correct. It was pretty loud on TV too. Like I said in a previous thread, people should have expected a circus at this game. Not surprised one bit on how things went down in the stands when the Falcons were getting their nose rubbed in it. As a Falcons fan, I'm more pizzed off that the Falcons laid down for the Iggles and didn't give the Falcons fans the satisfaction of lauging the Iggle/Vick fans out of the stadium.

Exactly! This is what most fans should be upset about, but instead they're upset at people cheering for Vick. Why they were surprised...I'll never know!

OK, so I have to ask. When did the chants for Vick start? I rarely if ever have left a game early in decades but I was so disgusted by the performance I left just before the 4th qtr when Redman threw another INT.

When I left, there was a mass exodus. Having left many games in the past when it ended in overtime and nearly every seat in the hous is full, I can guage the walk out of the Dome funneling through Falcon's Landing, etc. and it was quite packed. While it was not the entire stadium emptying out it was probably 70% to 80% or so.

Now that leaves for the most part 3 groups. The very, very, small minority of diehards who don't leave no matter what. The always vocal Eagles fans. The Vick more important than the Falcons fans.

That being said it is a poor representation of Falcons fans. The AJC mixes up the hatorade and the clueless or agenda driven drink it up like a person dieing of thirst.