Very Stupid play calls

I am so sick of this "RUN RUN PASS PUNT" offensive scheme that Mike Mularkey has brought to Atlanta.

It's so obvious which plays the FALCONS are going to call on offense now.

I think they need to get away from this "RUN FIRST PHILOSOPHY", for one thing you give away too much of the play calling to the defense.

The worst play call on offense for the whole game IMO was when the FALCONS had the ball 1st and goal. I don't blame the players at all for not scoring a TD, the play calls were horrible, the play calls went like this :

FALCONS : 1st and goal - hand off to snelling run the ball up the middle - "NOTHING"

2nd and goal - hand off to snelling run the ball up the middle - "Nothing"

3rd and goal - hand off to snelling run the ball up the middle - "NOTHING"

4th and goal - hand off to snelling run the ball up the middle - "NOTHING".

That was just flat out stupid play calling, if it don't work the first or second time what made him think it was going to work the next two times. I don't blame snelling for not scoring at all, given the injuries snelling didn't play that bad today IMO.

Even the commentators pointed out that our O-line had some serious key injuries to the middle of it and "That was a strength area for the eagles on defense".

I'm not even going to get started on BVG, there's already a thread about that.................. Mularkey has got to go or the FALCONS will never be a great consistently successful offense IMO..................

Edited by Electric Falcon

I couldnt agree more. His limited play calling has been exploited and there isnt a team in the league that cant read his every move. I suspect that if Smith doesnt step up and release him at the end of this season Blank sure as h*ll will. That was horrific to watch. 4 straight attempts at the same play. Does Smith not have any say in the plays being called or is he just that confident in bularkeys play calling??? Something has got to change and i think that is the first place to start. What made Smith think he would make a good OC? He had a losing record as a head coach with the Bills. Either way back to back winning seasons with him (bularkey) at the helm just isnt going to be a possibility.

Has Mularkey ever really made a team pay? Make great adjustments? You know, like after the half? Or gameplan against a team?

I feel like we are under Mora again. It's like they ignore what works, then stay on what isn't working. And if it's not working? Keep doing it, and hope it works!

I can honestly say I don't think I have thought to myself that we managed to out-scheme or out-coach another team. On the wins, we have done just enough to win. On the losses, we still play pretty well, but not enough to win.

I wonder if this is what the Carolina fans feel like? Sounds like John Fox football.

What I want to know is why we've given up on taking shots downfield? Seems like we run a bunch of wr screens and short outs instead of stretching the field. Andcwe don't adjust as others have mentioned.

I agree with you 100% on taking shots downfield. Ya know Mularkey has this offense confined to 20 yard passing, it's like the offense is playing in the red zone all day long, no worries for the opposing defense.

I thought in the eagles game yesterday when Chris Redman throwed that 34 yard pass to Roddy White that maybe things are fixing to change, I quickly realized that I was just wishful thinking.

I can tell you this, I do remember in the preseason the subject come up in an interview "Sorry no link" but the subject come up about how hard it is for a rookie QB to learn all the plays in the playbook, I remember specifically that mularkey said the play book was actually thinner this year but built toward the teams strengths.

For those of you who saw that or heard that early in the preseason we know now "HE DON'T KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING AT ALL" IMO....

I can take a loss from a better team especially considering "the FALCONS are still in the rebuilding process and are going to have some bumps in the road", there's room for improvement with the players, but there is NO WAY, I MEAN ABSOLUTELY no way Mularkey's play calling skills are going to improve or change for the better at this point in time. He is the weak link for "CALLING BAD PLAYS OVER AND OVER THAT JUST AREN'T WORKING", and it's OBVIOUS that he doesn't understand that IF IT AIN'T WORKING WHY NOT TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT..... JMO.....

Mularkey must have give Redman 3 plays at best "Run, Throw into double coverage for an interception, Pray".

LOL, I can almost hear how it went down :

Mularkey talking to Redman while the play he called goes down over the QB helment radio:

" I want you to run right, I want you to run left, I want you to run, NO I REALLY MEAN IT RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!". :lol:

Edited by Electric Falcon

Don't forget, Mularkey, though given the best TE in football, decided to "simplify," the playbook this year, making us more predictable. He has put Ryan in god-awful passing situations all year. In general, his offensive philosophy this year has stunk. I wouldn't mind him being fired TOMORROW.

Hey it should happen. I couldn't go to the game today so I had to watch it on TV.

Did you see it on TV? If you did when they went in at halftime did you hear Tony Saragusa's comments?

He asked Mike Smith why he went for it on 4th down and Mike Smith said "Because you don't know if you are going to ever get back down there again today", Tony Saragusa agreed with Smith and I agree with the FALCONS going for it, but I thought they should have went about the play calling different.

My point is that it's obvious that "Mike Smith has no faith in the Mike Mularkeys offensive scheme", I'm not going to say in the offense because they just do what they are told.

At least I hope that's the case, I don't see the FALCONS improving regardless of who they get on offense with MM as offensive coach.

we need better OC and DC both are waay too conservative altought i understand BVG doesnt have alot to work with.but mike mularky has had a HoF and pro bowlers all season.

You hit the nail right on the head. No excuses for Mularkey at all. If the offense could have just played up to half of the expectations by every NFL analyst at the start of the season the defense wouldn't be so punished and beat up by now IMO.....

Has Mularkey ever really made a team pay? Make great adjustments? You know, like after the half? Or gameplan against a team?

I feel like we are under Mora again. It's like they ignore what works, then stay on what isn't working. And if it's not working? Keep doing it, and hope it works!

I can honestly say I don't think I have thought to myself that we managed to out-scheme or out-coach another team. On the wins, we have done just enough to win. On the losses, we still play pretty well, but not enough to win.

I wonder if this is what the Carolina fans feel like? Sounds like John Fox football.

It seems that way I must admit.

I am so sick of this "RUN RUN PASS PUNT" offensive scheme that Mike Mularkey has brought to Atlanta.

It's so obvious which plays the FALCONS are going to call on offense now.

I think they need to get away from this "RUN FIRST PHILOSOPHY", for one thing you give away too much of the play calling to the defense.

The worst play call on offense for the whole game IMO was when the FALCONS had the ball 1st and goal. I don't blame the players at all for not scoring a TD, the play calls were horrible, the play calls went like this :

FALCONS : 1st and goal - hand off to snelling run the ball up the middle - "NOTHING"

That was just flat out stupid play calling, if it don't work the first or second time what made him think it was going to work the next two times. I don't blame snelling for not scoring at all, given the injuries snelling didn't play that bad today IMO.

Even the commentators pointed out that our O-line had some serious key injuries to the middle of it and "That was a strength area for the eagles on defense".

I'm not even going to get started on BVG, there's already a thread about that.................. Mularkey has got to go or the FALCONS will never be a great consistently successful offense IMO..................

The way to be successful with offense is to keep the defense guessing. I agree with your post because we seem really one dimensional. But we shouldn't be. We should have a top 5 offense, we have the talent for it. In Mularkys defense, he has had TONS of injuries this year (Turner, Ryan, Norwood, Mughelli, Jenkins, Dahl, Baker) but even when they were healthy, they only looked explosive in the Niners game.

Edited by JD dirtybird21

I've noticed that when Ryan is in the game...9 times out of 10 on 3rd down he had Ryan looking for Gonzales to pass to...and i noticed this since week 3! It got to a point where it was so predictable i don't know how Ryan didn't throw more interceptions than he has when the defense pretty much knew what was coming....I pray the front office get their acts together for next season because i don't see us winning no fewer than 10 games next year.

we need better OC and DC both are waay too conservative altought i understand BVG doesnt have alot to work with.but mike mularky has had a HoF and pro bowlers all season.

The problem is that his philosophy of being conservative, predictable, and dumb as a rock it absolutely is its a horrendous fit for this team. Successful teams with historically terrible defenses such as us usually have finesse offenses to over-compensate for the the huge drop off in play quality IE. The cardinals, Saints, Colts, and the mike martz led St Louis Rams.

Mularky has the peices, he just swore never to use them to our strengths.

I've given up on Mularky since the Pats game, he's a lost cause.

Edited by osiruz

I agree with everything you said.. THERE WAS 3 possesions in a row where we went RUN, RUN, PASS ..and when we have to pass its like 3 and 9 so ofcourse eagles are gonna blitz and it will be very hard to complete. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE play calling. I never even said anything about MM but today he was so bad, i stopped watching the game in 3rd QT because i was literally yelling at my screen about his play calling.

Edited by Scorpion

That sequence made me switch the channel. Say what you will about "true" Falcons fans,

but I don't care to see our team getting gutted and having Vick rub our noses in it.

Mike Smith needs to step up and relieve Dumblarkey of his duties just like the young Tampa coach did with his DC. I was totaly embarrassed yesterday. THE DEFENSE SUCKED. A fat azz FB ran all over us.

He better not follow in the foot steps of Mora. Mora was too loyal to Knapp and it cost him. 09 is really starting to look like 05 all over again. If we have another melt down in 2010, I think we will be going through another coaching change. CMS, it is good to be loyal, but you must be intelligent too how far that loyalty goes.

That sequence made me switch the channel. Say what you will about "true" Falcons fans,

but I don't care to see our team getting gutted and having Vick rub our noses in it.

By far some of the worst play calling I have ever seen. I think Knapp would have been a little more creative than that. Did CMM really think that Philly would be confused by having Snelling in a wildcat? CMM, how bout at least one shot to TG, by far one of the best end zone targets in the history of the NFL. At least just one shot to him. A play action to Snelling up the middle, roll Redman out to his right and have White roll coverage to the opposite side(Philly saw the TB game and knew White was the hero...so they pay close attention to him) and get TG rolling with redman.

The thing I don't get with Mularkey is what is he trying to do? When our offense takes the field who are we attacking? Our offense has no identity and this was a issue with Turner/Matt/Jenkins/Dahl and Baker in the game.

WHY would you call that stupid play against the TOP run stopping team in the league. Isn't that what Tony G is for? Goal line situations?

Pathetic