Finding help at corner will be top priority for Falcons

atljbo

Finding help at corner will be top priority for Falcons

Posted Dec. 04, 2009 @ 3:01 p.m.

By Dan Parr

Rookie Chris Owens was officially declared the starter at left cornerback heading into Week 13, although the third-round pick had actually risen to the top of the depth chart heading into Week 12, when he made his first career start. Owens has taken the job basically by default, as Brent Grimes and Tye Hill have failed to sufficiently fill the void left by Brian Williams, who landed on injured reserve after tearing his ACL in Week Six. We're told the Falcons didn't like the veteran free-agent market enough to spend money on an experienced player that could fill in for the rest of the season. After taking DT Peria Jerry in the first round of this year's draft and passing on CB Vontae Davis, who was selected by the Dolphins with the next pick, we hear finding a corner will be the top priority for GM Thomas Dimitroff heading into the 2010 draft.

This make me think that we will trade our 1st round pick for more picks (2nd and 3rd round picks)..... Joe Haden is the only 1st round CB in this draft..... This draft is full of talented 2nd round CB prospects.

2nd round prospects

6'0 195lbs CB Brandon Ghee

6'0 198lbs CB Perrish Cox

6'2 200lbs CB Ras-I Dowling

6'0 192lbs CB Donovan Warren

6'0 193lbs CB Amari Spievey

6'0 195lbs CB Dominique Franks

I don't think we trade our first unless we pick up (2) 2nd round picks. I don't think it would be worth it to just get an extra 2nd and 3rd.

Some teams get future 1st round picks..... we would really be selling ourselves short if we did that.

I only like Cox on that list. Everybody else just does not really stick out to me.

Trevard Lindley

Perrish Cox

Crezdon Butler

Devin McCourty

They are the CBs I truly think could come in and make an immediate impact.

I don't think we trade our first unless we pick up (2) 2nd round picks. I don't think it would be worth it to just get an extra 2nd and 3rd.

Some teams get future 1st round picks..... we would really be selling ourselves short if we did that.

I only like Cox on that list. Everybody else just does not really stick out to me.

Trevard Lindley

Perrish Cox

Crezdon Butler

Devin McCourty

They are the CBs I truly think could come in and make an immediate impact.

isn't perrish cox the Oklahoma State CB? I like that guy.....

If we traded down i would only settle for Ras I Dowling he is the only guy i think we would draft to trade down, otherwise its Joe Haden all the way! and maybe trade some players to get into the 2nd round like John Abraham or a package like Jamaal Anderson/Chris Houston/Erick Coleman because we have William Moore and Thomas Decoud and draft one of the guys who falls at the DE position.

Not that this means a TON, but if you look back at the recent drafts of Jax (with Smith) and NE (with Dimitrof), they never took a CB in the first (NE did take S-Meriweather in the 1st). It would not be a stretch to assume that they both put a slightly lesser value on the position from a draft perspective and believe that quality at the position can be found in the middle rounds. Especially considering Dimitrof specializes in the secondary.

Not that this means a TON, but if you look back at the recent drafts of Jax (with Smith) and NE (with Dimitrof), they never took a CB in the first (NE did take S-Meriweather in the 1st). It would not be a stretch to assume that they both put a slightly lesser value on the position from a draft perspective and believe that quality at the position can be found in the middle rounds. Especially considering Dimitrof specializes in the secondary.

I agree... They normally draft CB's in the mid round...I do believe that they know that the CB position is killing us and they will attack this position aggressively....I dont think we will draft a CB 1st round.... Its no need to this year (Haden is the only guy i feel like has played like a 1st round guy) .... I wouldn't be surprised if we traded our 1st round pick for 2nd round and more picks then draft a CB in the 2nd round....

Well I personally believe they are going to address it through free agency. I was surprised we let Foxworth go. Williams came in and played well, but when he got hurt we were left with almost nothing.

I'm looking forward to seeing Chris Owens on the field more and more.

I think if we keep that 1st round pick it's going to be a DE or OLB.

The Falcons have got to sign a quality CB. I wanted us to sign one in the OffSeason last year and I was also a huge Jairus Byrd fan. After I knew that if we had Grimes starting we would be in trouble, but everyone loved his TC. I really thought Owens would be good, and he has been playing good. But the problem is that we never got that veteran presence back after Williams got hurt. The Falcons will have to do a makeover at the CB position and I think the only safe player is Owens. Grimes is not a starting CB, and neither is Houston.

IMO we will sign a FA corner, and draft a corner...Perrish Cox :D

Edited by A-TowN.-