How Long til Mike Smith Calls the Defense?

Deus Legend

We've seen some Head Coaches take play calling back from the coordinators and for some it works. Some it doesn't. Last year, Wade Philips took over Dallas Defense and they improved over the coordinator calling the plays. Andy Reid took back control of the Eagles plays last year and they go to the NFC Championship. Raheem Morris took control of the Bucs defense just now and they look like the old Bucs D this past Sunday.

I've seen Smith with a play card in his hand now this season but Van is still running the show. How long do you guys think Mike Smith will allow the defense to look the way it is? Maybe he's slowly taking it over.

idk maybe soon, i've actually expected it to happen before now. Only thing is, does Van Gorder really have the personnel to be that successful?

With CMM I think it is all on him as to why our offense has not lived up to its expectations. But BVG has Houston and Grimes to work with. That will make most DC's look like garbage. Im willing to give BVG another year or 2 to show progress. I cant say the same for CMM.

I hate to break it to you all, but I've seen a number of interviews with Smitty and he is a firm believer of the Head Coach presiding over operations, but letting coordinators free to do their own thing.

And if you think about it, it makes perfect sense for a HC to feel this way. After all, it makes coordinators out there want to coach for you while giving yourself a certain bit of job security by having a built-in fall guy.

Not saying this is his motivation. Just saying that Smith is not the kind of coach that steps in and takes over.

He's going to let BVG prove himself, good or bad. And if he's proven lacking, Smith will replace him during the off season. But not before.

Besides, who do you all think he is...Radio? :P :lol:

We've seen some Head Coaches take play calling back from the coordinators and for some it works. Some it doesn't. Last year, Wade Philips took over Dallas Defense and they improved over the coordinator calling the plays. Andy Reid took back control of the Eagles plays last year and they go to the NFC Championship. Raheem Morris took control of the Bucs defense just now and they look like the old Bucs D this past Sunday.

I've seen Smith with a play card in his hand now this season but Van is still running the show. How long do you guys think Mike Smith will allow the defense to look the way it is? Maybe he's slowly taking it over.

i hope soon but it would be nice to have a D coordinator that he would not have to, i think he would do a great job it seems to have worked wonders for dallas and tampa though