Vangorder not interested in UGA job...DANGIT!

VanGorder not interested in UGA coordinator job

Print E-mail By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

FLOWERY BRANCH -- Falcons defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder is not interested in the vacant defensive coordinator position at Georgia.

"I'm here with the Atlanta Falcons and my commitment is to this job, and I'm not interested in any other jobs, period," VanGorder told the AJC on Thursday. "I enjoy tremendously working for [owner] Mr. [Arthur] Blank and his family, [general manager] Thomas [Dimitroff] and [coach] Mike Smith."

VanGorder coached at Georgia from 2001-04. His last defense in 2004 finished ranked eighth in the nation, and the scoring defense ranked ninth.

VanGorder, 50, is in his third season with the Falcons and second as the defensive coordinator.

The Falcons are in the process of rebuilding the defense, as they attempted to replace five starters this season.

"I'm excited about where we are," VanGorder said. "We have a young team that as we go through the process, I look forward to being a part of their growth and being important in that growth. That's where I, am."

VanGorder has gone back-and-forth between the pro and college ranks in recent years. After spending the 2005 season as an NFL assistant at Jacksonville he left to become the head coach at Georgia Southern for a season before joining the Falcons in 2007.

He accepted a job with South Carolina after Bobby Petrino left the Falcons, but VanGorder returned as the defensive coordinator under Smith.

"I'm a football coach," VanGorder said. "I enjoy the NFL. Mostly, I enjoy being a part of the Atlanta Falcons. We have a tremendous organization. I go to work excited every day. I look forward to being a part of our process as we move forward. "

BVG- Please do not let us hold you back. This is a MAJOR opportunity for you at UGA and you deserve it.

We congratulate you on your opportunity to advance and think you should JUMP at the opportunity. We here at the Falcons will try to make it through knowing that we will have to look far and wide to replace you-BUT replace you we will!

Please note that we took the liberty of hiring a U-Haul it truck to move your thinks and it is idling in the front parking lot.

Remember when he took that college job after 2007, and he had no intention of returning to the pros? Then, the second he got a call, he was back to Atlanta?

But I dunno. He really needs a better staff. Not that his scheme is mind blowing or anything, but get him an OLB and a corner and we would be a lot better off.

Back to my common point: Even the most common defensive coach will admit: If you have a weak secondary, rush the passer and create mistakes and miscues. In other words: If the Corners are lacking, BLITZ THE QB and create opportunities.

I will concede that he has weak personnel but where is the Blitz?

Where is the heat on the QB???

If we are not creating pressure with the Blitz and Overloads, that my friend is a COACHING PROBLEM-PERIOD!

You guys kill me. We have a pretty darn good coaching staff including Van Gorder and somebody is always wanting to mess with it. Did it ever occur to you guys that what with replacing the defensive starters we've had to and the key injuries we've had on defense that maybe Van Gorder can't play quite as an aggressive defense as you want because he doesn't have the tools?

You can live and die by the blitz and with our corners, we'd die by it more often than not. Who would you replace Van Gorder with? Ed Donatell??? :rolleyes:

BVG is a very good DC. We simply don't have the personel.

i agree. i think we could have the personnel to have a top 5 defense in two years, though.

we need:

two consistent defensive ends (kroy is improving but abraham is regressing; however, kroy is not very consistent and i would not bet that he will be a 10 sack guy)

one, possibly two corners (chris owens looked great against tampa but who doesn't?)

an offense that can sustain long drives

He's a Smith hire, anyone railing on BVG should be first railing on our coach who always thinks he's the smartest guy in the room.

If this team flops and fails to post B2B winning seasons Mike Smith needs to be dealt with

Totally agree. We need to fire that coach with a winning record and one loss in 2 years at home (3 at the most by seasons end) after taking over one of the worst teams in league history.

He's got to go!!!

Edited by atl falcon 89

Matter of fact, let me expand on my last comment...

Houston, seems to cover well at times but apparently can't turn head

Grimes, flashes of decent play but they are few and far between, inconsistent

Hill, One interception off a deflection, other than that, couldn't cover a bed!

Jackson, Jury out...not enough evidence

Owens, Jury out...not enough evidence

Matter of fact, let me expand on my last comment...

Houston, seems to cover well at times but apparently can't turn head

Grimes, flashes of decent play but they are few and far between, inconsistent

Hill, One interception off a deflection, other than that, couldn't cover a bed!

Jackson, Jury out...not enough evidence

Owens, Jury out...not enough evidence

Out of those guys, only Owens has the potential to really develop into a starter IMO. I know I defend Houston and sometimes is biased for him, but his cons in his 2007 scouting report STILL exist and that is unacceptable. Grimes should not be a starter at all. Hill has done nothing done here yet. Jackson is a nickel.

We have allowed more 20PLUS yard plays this season than ANY other team in the NFL.

We rank almost LAST in the league in Defense.

Can these numbers be totally justified with the "no talent" arguments?

mike zimmer couldnt do anything with this defense either and he is having a monster year in cincinnati. granted, we have had a few changes to the roster.