Comments from the TB Game

whitekb011

Ok, I watched the TB game again last night and here are my comments.

Offensive Line: When Romberg came in for Dahl and Svitek came in for Baker the pass protection was significantly better. This was also without Turner in the game. Now our run game suffered, but at least Redman had time to look and throw down field. Svitek actually did a good job at LT, he got beat for a sack, but all in all he performed better than Baker. Romberg, worked really well with McClure, but Clabo, I think he is better suited for RG than RT. The eagles are going to bring pressure from the edges, I believe the Left side of the line will be ok, but if Dahl can’t go, then I think we move Clabo inside and try Reynolds at RT because he has the reach and arm span to control the edge.

Quarterbacks: Redman managed the game well, but he did leave some plays on the field. I noticed Roddy open a couple of times over the middle and didn’t throw to him. Other than that, can’t complain too much. He didn’t turn the ball over, and he led us down the field to score the winning TD on our last drive.

Runningbacks: Snelling’s fumble really hurt us, as we were driving. He didn’t have a bad game after that. It was nice to see Norwood’s burst and speed on the shuffle pass. Ovie needs to adjust to Norwoods speed in the running game. He was slow.

Tightends: Gonzo, he was an absolute stud, and he is the reason we won that game. He made some very tough catches on that last drive. I am so glad he is here. Just think where we would be without him.

Widereceivers: Jenkins is really starting to be productive as our Number 2. White did not have an impact in the game, other than the 26 yarder down the sideline. He was open a couple of times but Redman overthrew him. I still think we need to use Weems in the slot.

Defensive Line: Our run defense is so much better when Thomas Johnson is playing. He was consistently getting off the ball quicker than anyone else on our line. He had a very good game. Babs, is so consistent and a really good DT. He is worth the contract he signed, and should get Pro bowl consideration. Jamal Anderson has improved so much this year and makes plays at the line of scrimmage. I believe he will only get better, but needs to develop some speed off the edge and an attitude to really be a dominant DE in this league. Abraham didn’t have the sacks, but was productive.

Linebackers: For the first time this year, Lofton made a very poor decision with the Personal Foul penalty. He also has regressed WRT pass coverage. Stephen Nicholas has had to very solid performances in a row. He covers the backs out of the backfield well and he can stay step for step with most tight ends. He also is a sure tackler. Peterson, is such an upgrade over Brooking. He and Lofton play so well together and he really brings a fire to LB core.

Cornerbacks: It was hard to evaluate Chris Owens, because we played zone for most of the game. But he has nice skills and the one thing I noticed, he looked comfortable out there. He didn’t look like a rookie. We will see this week against the eagles. Hill I believe can be a good CB, but for some reason, he just gets beat. Outside of the interception in the first game he played, he has been less than average, but again, we are playing a lot of zone and he is a man-to-man corner. Houston, better game, but nothing really sticks out other than he played well in run support. Grimes, didn’t really notice him.

Safetys: Coleman is very good in run support and plays that extremely well, he is sometimes a liability in pass protection. DeCoud, didn’t really have an impact in the game, but this kid is a baller.

Special Teems: Weems is a smart and tough return man. I really like this kid. Not going to get into Elam and the Field Goals, we have a different solution, time will tell if it’s the right one. I think, one of the most crucial plays of the game, was our punt out of the endzone. That was a very good job by our punt team especially coming off of a block previously in the game.

Injuries played a big part in the performance of the starting OL. Naturally, the backup O-lineman is going to preform better if he's healthy. Try bench pressing 400 pounds with a dislocated elbow or squat 600 pounds with a sprained ankle. First 4 games of the season when they were healthy, defense couldn't get to the QB.

I think redman did quite well coming in without practicing with the first team. After a week of practice to get timing down i think the white overthroughs will be big gains this week.

I also think Redman will have a better game and needs to work the rust off. It will be interesting to see if they move Samuel with White during the game.

Injuries played a big part in the performance of the starting OL. Naturally, the backup O-lineman is going to preform better if he's healthy. Try bench pressing 400 pounds with a dislocated elbow or squat 600 pounds with a sprained ankle. First 4 games of the season when they were healthy, defense couldn't get to the QB.

No doubt about that, but Dahl and Clabo have stunk it up in pass protection this year. Clabo does not have the quick feet needed to play RT. I think he would be a GREAT RG. Dahl, will probably be let go this year.

Great analysis as usual! These are the kinds of posts that make it worth coming here.

WRT the punt out of our end-zone---Koenen kicked that thing almost 65 yards in the air or was I just that drunk?

totally agree on Nick---he plays solid as ****. Lofton has struggled of late in pass coverage but I ain't worried about him.

We have real depth at QB with Redman.

Norwood looked awesome.

Decoud is my defensive MVP---to me he has been the most consistent piece of our defense with maybe Babs as the exception.

Let's hope our new Special Teamers can nail down the easy threes and we can finish strong.

Go Falcons!

Great analysis as usual! These are the kinds of posts that make it worth coming here.

WRT the punt out of our end-zone---Koenen kicked that thing almost 65 yards in the air or was I just that drunk?

totally agree on Nick---he plays solid as ****. Lofton has struggled of late in pass coverage but I ain't worried about him.

We have real depth at QB with Redman.

Norwood looked awesome.

Decoud is my defensive MVP---to me he has been the most consistent piece of our defense with maybe Babs as the exception.

Let's hope our new Special Teamers can nail down the easy threes and we can finish strong.

Go Falcons!

I believe he kicked it from the back of the endzone to their 40 yrd line, maybe 38 can't recall without watching for sure, you are correct, he boomed it. That would make it roughly a 60 yarder, and 70 yards from the point of the kick. Very strong leg. Thanks for the kind words.

Ok, I watched the TB game again last night and here are my comments. Offensive Line: When Romberg came in for Dahl and Svitek came in for Baker the pass protection was significantly better. This was also without Turner in the game. Now our run game suffered, but at least Redman had time to look and throw down field. Svitek actually did a good job at LT, he got beat for a sack, but all in all he performed better than Baker. Romberg, worked really well with McClure, but Clabo, I think he is better suited for RG than RT. The eagles are going to bring pressure from the edges, I believe the Left side of the line will be ok, but if Dahl can’t go, then I think we move Clabo inside and try Reynolds at RT because he has the reach and arm span to control the edge. Quarterbacks: Redman managed the game well, but he did leave some plays on the field. I noticed Roddy open a couple of times over the middle and didn’t throw to him. Other than that, can’t complain too much. He didn’t turn the ball over, and he led us down the field to score the winning TD on our last drive. Runningbacks: Snelling’s fumble really hurt us, as we were driving. He didn’t have a bad game after that. It was nice to see Norwood’s burst and speed on the shuffle pass. Ovie needs to adjust to Norwoods speed in the running game. He was slow. Tightends: Gonzo, he was an absolute stud, and he is the reason we won that game. He made some very tough catches on that last drive. I am so glad he is here. Just think where we would be without him. Widereceivers: Jenkins is really starting to be productive as our Number 2. White did not have an impact in the game, other than the 26 yarder down the sideline. He was open a couple of times but Redman overthrew him. I still think we need to use Weems in the slot. Defensive Line: Our run defense is so much better when Thomas Johnson is playing. He was consistently getting off the ball quicker than anyone else on our line. He had a very good game. Babs, is so consistent and a really good DT. He is worth the contract he signed, and should get Pro bowl consideration. Jamal Anderson has improved so much this year and makes plays at the line of scrimmage. I believe he will only get better, but needs to develop some speed off the edge and an attitude to really be a dominant DE in this league. Abraham didn’t have the sacks, but was productive. Linebackers: For the first time this year, Lofton made a very poor decision with the Personal Foul penalty. He also has regressed WRT pass coverage. Stephen Nicholas has had to very solid performances in a row. He covers the backs out of the backfield well and he can stay step for step with most tight ends. He also is a sure tackler. Peterson, is such an upgrade over Brooking. He and Lofton play so well together and he really brings a fire to LB core. Cornerbacks: It was hard to evaluate Chris Owens, because we played zone for most of the game. But he has nice skills and the one thing I noticed, he looked comfortable out there. He didn’t look like a rookie. We will see this week against the eagles. Hill I believe can be a good CB, but for some reason, he just gets beat. Outside of the interception in the first game he played, he has been less than average, but again, we are playing a lot of zone and he is a man-to-man corner. Houston, better game, but nothing really sticks out other than he played well in run support. Grimes, didn’t really notice him. Safetys: Coleman is very good in run support and plays that extremely well, he is sometimes a liability in pass protection. DeCoud, didn’t really have an impact in the game, but this kid is a baller. Special Teems: Weems is a smart and tough return man. I really like this kid. Not going to get into Elam and the Field Goals, we have a different solution, time will tell if it’s the right one. I think, one of the most crucial plays of the game, was our punt out of the endzone. That was a very good job by our punt team especially coming off of a block previously in the game.

Dam bro that may be the first post I totally agreed with since...ugh.....Ever? +1 on that one and I don't give out points.

Mularky wont allow redman to play just like he did with ryan.

I see redman was making the same mistakes of throwing into triple and double coverage (one to gonzo and one to white) and I was shaking my head....one was an exact replay of the same throw ryan made and went Unpicked v the Giants...we can't afford doing that again especially w/ the season on the line.

Mularky wont allow redman to play just like he did with ryan.

I see redman was making the same mistakes of throwing into triple and double coverage (one to gonzo and one to white) and I was shaking my head....one was an exact replay of the same throw ryan made and went Unpicked v the Giants...we can't afford doing that again especially w/ the season on the line.

Agree, but I think Redman will have the same opportunity to change the play as Ryan. Now having said that, he will only have the option to change it from maybe one or two plays. If going from run to pass, maybe only one, or at the most, two route sets. If going to Run from Pass, probably the same.

OC mike mularky: terrible game coaching.

One thing people are complaining about is Mularkeys lack of deep routes and attempts 15 yards and more down the field. The problem is he has to call plays that give the offense the best chance to be successful. The fact is, our O Line can not give the QB 4 Seconds in the pocket. When we do throw deep, we are in Max Protect (8 into block) and 2 receivers on the route. Even then, our QB has not had a lot of time to throw. If you look at the teams in the league that are successful, I believe it's because they have very good Lines.

Look at New Orleans:

Their Offensive Line jumps off the ball and it is very difficult to pressure them with just 4 down lineman. They also run block very well. So if you have to blitz, you better be right, because if you don't get to Brees, he will abuse you. They also don't have to blitz that often (Williams very rarely sends more than 5 man pressure scheemes) because their down 4 really put the heat on. In fact, when they rush 3, they still get sacks. that's why their defense is so good. It's also why they have interceptions, because the QB has to make a quick read and throw. This allows the secondary to jump the short routes and bracket their best receiver.

Lofton's poor play in pass coverage and Clabo's poor play in pass protection were big factors in why we had such a tough time with such a crappy team. The Eagles will exploit them far worse if they show up with a similar effort on Sunday.

Also, our CBs need to play as physical as the refs allow. The refs let TB's cbs maul Roddy and Gonzo most of the game. Complaining is not the best way to respond to that. The best way to respond is to take advantage of the way the game is being called. Same thing goes for holding along the Oline. If it isn't being called then we should be doing more of it.

Agree about Malarkey's hands being tied on the deep balls. I think the coach's tape would reveal that we have deep routes in a lot of the pass plays but they rarely develop due to protection. Less a matter of them being called and more a matter of everyone executing and the QB stepping up.

Agree about Malarkey's hands being tied on the deep balls. I think the coach's tape would reveal that we have deep routes in a lot of the pass plays but they rarely develop due to protection. Less a matter of them being called and more a matter of everyone executing and the QB stepping up.

I know. I'm not saying Mularkey has had a good year calling plays, but our injuries have hurt us on Offense, starting with Harry Douglas. He can only call what we can execute. Some of the Pundits don't understand that. They just think you send everyone on a 9 route and think they should hit it all the time. Guess the read "How to call plays 101, by Al Davis".

Lofton's poor play in pass coverage and Clabo's poor play in pass protection were big factors in why we had such a tough time with such a crappy team. The Eagles will exploit them far worse if they show up with a similar effort on Sunday.

Also, our CBs need to play as physical as the refs allow. The refs let TB's cbs maul Roddy and Gonzo most of the game. Complaining is not the best way to respond to that. The best way to respond is to take advantage of the way the game is being called. Same thing goes for holding along the Oline. If it isn't being called then we should be doing more of it.

No doubt about that, but for some reason, when they do play physical, they get called for PI or holding. I will say that Crisp is the only CB that actually deserves PI. He never get's his head around, then he looks like he is in disbelief when he sees the flag. They need to do a segment on him for "C'mon Man".

Brooking is actually having a much better year than Peterson but I agree Peterson is an upgrade for us, because Brooking needed a change of scenery or this year would have likely been worst than last year's performance.

Statistically you are right, but he is playing the middle in a 3-4 scheme. His most consitent years as a defender where when Wade Philips was running our D. I really like Brooking, but he needed to go. He need a change and the Falcons needed a change, because you are correct. His performance would have very likely been worse than last year.

yeah 3-4 linebackers always seem to put up big stats, but I think Brooking has way more sacks than he has ever had. It's really amazing. I was watching a cowboys game and they said that the players said that not only was he a huge help for that D, but he made the entire team a lot better because of his incredible leadership. Same thing happened to Kerney really. A lot of players just need new motivation.

One thing people are complaining about is Mularkeys lack of deep routes and attempts 15 yards and more down the field. The problem is he has to call plays that give the offense the best chance to be successful. The fact is, our O Line can not give the QB 4 Seconds in the pocket. When we do throw deep, we are in Max Protect (8 into block) and 2 receivers on the route. Even then, our QB has not had a lot of time to throw. If you look at the teams in the league that are successful, I believe it's because they have very good Lines.

Actually N.O has lost their best lineman for quite sometime, and The packers lost their best 2 for the first 10 games...one thing they do though is spread out the field with 4-5 reciever sets, which we never do.