Martinez, two others out at UGA

Statick

Martinez, two others out at UGA

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

ATHENS – Georgia has fired three defensive coaches, including coordinator Willie Martinez, according to a well-placed source.

Martinez, defensive ends coach Jon Fabris and linebackers coach John Jancek were informed by coach Mark Richt that they will not be retained.

The Bulldogs’ defense has struggled in the last two seasons, allowing 34 or more points in nine games in 2008 and 2009.

- Chip Towers and Jeff Schultz

Any reactions from recruits now that the word is officially out?

Yep a bunch.

Here is one:

Garrison Smith: "Yeah it affected me, it means I’m back to the Ivey league schools now. I’m just playing, I’m still committed to Georgia. Coach Richt has been at UGA for a long time, and he’s going to make the best decision for the team."

Almost all of the comments were 100% they are staying committed except for fields who is worried and robey who is worried due to his height..

Yep a bunch.

Here is one:

Garrison Smith: "Yeah it affected me, it means I’m back to the Ivey league schools now. I’m just playing, I’m still committed to Georgia. Coach Richt has been at UGA for a long time, and he’s going to make the best decision for the team."

Almost all of the comments were 100% they are staying committed except for fields who is worried and robey who is worried due to his height..

I was a little worried about Fields and Morant when I heard that Fabris was also going to be gone. I def wanted him not coaching ST, but I wasn't sure he would be fired altogether.

we have had poor DE play for a few years now.. i wasn't surprised.

Yeah, it didn't surprise me. I would hate to lose this class of DE's we have though. I guess I just didn't think the DE play was that bad until last year and then kind of chalked some of it up to injuries and lack of exp.

First i am not celebrating the fact 3 coaches who I actually think are good guys don't have jobs right now. I am celebrating how big this is getting rid of willie and jancek. Getting rid of fabris on special teams. This is huge for uga. I am very happy this finally became public.

Very well put Sac, sometimes us fans get caught in our emotion for our teams without considering that these teams are run by people and these people have families. Its never fun being fired, its never fun to be the person who has to do the firing, especially if its your best friend you're firing. Richts deserves big time props for not letting this go on any longer considering his relationship with Martinez, I'm sure it must have been a terrible decision to have to make.