Losing Matt Ryan not tragic for other Falcons

MagnusXXIII

FF article but still interesting.

Losing Matt Ryan not tragic for other Falcons

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 | Feedback | Print Entry

I can't think of many cases in which I call an injury a "good thing" in fantasy football, but the fact is, those who have been relying on Matt Ryan shouldn't be too upset about the Atlanta Falcons quarterback already being ruled out for the team's Week 13 game against the Philadelphia Eagles because of turf toe. If you noticed the trend in our rankings, Ryan wasn't being counted on by us for much anyway, having struggled for much of this season and rarely approaching his draft-day value. Now you have no choice but to sit him, which you should have been doing anyway.

Ryan will be replaced by Chris Redman, who looked pretty good in relief Sunday, throwing for 243 yards and two touchdowns for a nice 17 fantasy points. But since it was against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, it's foolish to overrate the performance and expect that against the Eagles. Is Redman as good as Ryan? Of course not. But does this quarterback change, obviously forced because of injury, going to hurt other members of the Falcons? I don't think it hurts one bit.

On the contrary, the way Ryan had been playing, and with health question marks at running back, I wonder if I might actually bump up Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez in my rankings this week. White hasn't had a bad season by any means, despite Ryan's inconsistent play, and one of fantasy's top wide receivers the previous two seasons was targeted 13 times Sunday. What do we always infer when a backup quarterback -- young and raw, or old but rusty -- enters a game and must start the following week? That he'll lean heavily on his star players, and certainly White and Gonzalez are of that caliber. The Eagles can prepare for Redman, a career backup who has started just 10 times in a 10-year career, and there's little chance I would expect Redman to deliver another 17 fantasy points, but he's going to be throwing the ball plenty, and as such, his targets retain their value.

Being around Fantasy Football geeks is a lot like watching a game in a sports book in Las Vegas. In the sports book most of the bettors really don't care who wins a game as long as they win their bet. Nearly the same with FF: never mind the great plays or the drama of the games, it's all about the stats - which may have nothing to do with how the game overall was played.

That's what FF says. Here's what Gonzo says: “He’s our leader. He’s the ace. When he goes out that’s part of the game. When stuff like that happens, a guy has to bring it. My hats off to Red (Chris Redman). The way he got in there, stepped up, and played pretty well. We got a victory from it. It’s always good when we have a veteran guy like that coming off the bench. Hopefully Matt gets back sooner rather than later, so we can keep this thing going.”

I hate fantasy football it's worse than madden as to it's bad effect on fans of the game.

Au contraire Pierre. Why do you think the NFL has a Love-Hate relationship with gambling? Because

gambling increases interest and viewers. The same with FF. People watch games they ordinarily could care or less about. All the telecasts cater to FF players. The hardest call in show on Sirius NFL Radio to get through

on is the Fantasy football show which by the way was expanded to two due to interest.

Hate on it all you want, but the truth of the matter is alot of you haters will probably be a participant

one day. Its here to stay... and gaining millions of particpants a year. Why do people hate something they dont understand?