Compensation picks

matty72780

Ok, so I know the compensation picks depend on many variables (playing time, contract, production, etc). Does anyone know exactly what the parameters are to qualify for 3rd round compensation picks?

-Grady Jackson = Played in every game this year (started 9). He is actually having a productive year for the Lions too.

-Keith Brooking = Is having a good year in Dallas, got a decent contract, has started every game, and has fit well into their D.

-Foxworth = Signed a big contract with Baltimore and has started every game.

I'm thinking based on Brooking and Foxworth alone we will get two 3rd round comp picks, and I would'nt be suprised if we get an additional 4th or 5th rounder for Grady.

But does anyone actually know what it takes to qualify for the 3rd rounders? This will hopefully come in huge since we dont have a second rounder this year! It's sucks you cant trade comp pic's, but oh well.

dont forget Boley

he has been injured, so that might affect what we get

so far he has 30 tackles and 1 sack

not exactly bang up numbers

Oh yeah! I forgot about Boley... I think we will probably get a 7th rounder for him. I'm guessing we will have three 3rd round picks, two 5th round picks, and two 7th rounders.

I'm sure TD will address our secondary with our first pick. I'm guessing we will trade our 3rd & 4th rounder to get into the late 2nd round to pick up a DE who can get to the QB, and then we will more than likely pick up an OLB and OL with our compensation picks.

Oh yeah! I forgot about Boley... I think we will probably get a 7th rounder for him. I'm guessing we will have three 3rd round picks, two 5th round picks, and two 7th rounders.

I'm sure TD will address our secondary with our first pick. I'm guessing we will trade our 3rd & 4th rounder to get into the late 2nd round to pick up a DE who can get to the QB, and then we will more than likely pick up an OLB and OL with our compensation picks.

I don't think we'll get any 3rd rounders for that bunch

Compensation is awarded based on losses if free agency. Therefore, I think Peterson and Brooking cancel each other out.

Boley's been hurt for most of the year, so I really wouldn't expect much from that.

Grady might land us a 7th, but playing time is also a consideration in the equation and he usually sits plays anyways.

Foxworth is the only real possibility for some decent compensation. But I would expect anything other than maybe a 5th or, if he plays lights out the rest of the year, a 4th.

Getting a 3rd at this point is a pipe dream. :(

Ok, so I know the compensation picks depend on many variables (playing time, contract, production, etc). Does anyone know exactly what the parameters are to qualify for 3rd round compensation picks?

-Grady Jackson = Played in every game this year (started 9). He is actually having a productive year for the Lions too.

-Keith Brooking = Is having a good year in Dallas, got a decent contract, has started every game, and has fit well into their D.

-Foxworth = Signed a big contract with Baltimore and has started every game.

I'm thinking based on Brooking and Foxworth alone we will get two 3rd round comp picks, and I would'nt be suprised if we get an additional 4th or 5th rounder for Grady.

But does anyone actually know what it takes to qualify for the 3rd rounders? This will hopefully come in huge since we dont have a second rounder this year! It's sucks you cant trade comp pic's, but oh well.

I believe we will lose a second round pick for gonzo. Did we get a pick for D. hall already from Oakland?

I believe we will lose a second round pick for gonzo. Did we get a pick for D. hall already from Oakland?

Yes, we surrendered a 2nd for GOnzo and we already received our picks from Oakland (used them to trade up for Baker I believe).

I thought it was based on the contract they get at other places. Or something like that. I know some on the board think we are pretty much guaranteed a 3rd.

But again, from all the breakdowns I've seen, no one knows for sure who gets what. There's no real equation available.

I'm not sure anyone knows exactly the formula. :lol:

But what is known is some of the variables - contract of player, playing time, post season awards (like probowl invitations).

Basically, the player leaving must not only go to another team and sign a large contract, but he also must have a good year (example - Pat Kerney). None of the players that left have done anything special with their teams and the guy who is probably having the best season of the bunch - Brooking, is canceled out by our signing of Peterson (compensation are for net losses of free agents).

And although I can't say for absolute certain, I think it's a pretty safe assumption that we'll not see anything near a 3rd round comp pick. I'd be willing to bet we see nothing no higher than a 4th (and I really don't think that will happen, either) :( .

I don't think the formula was ever officially published. I've read through the thread, honestly I didn't think how a player plays had anything to do with it besides a small bonus if they make a pro-bowl. I thought the key factors were:

1. What you lost in free agency vs. what you signed.

2. The amount of the deal a player signed for.

3. The playing time a player received (i.e. start or not).

We will not find out until a couple of days before the draft. I'm guessing we get a 3rd for Foxworth but that may end up being a 4th. It is close and I would not be surprised if it ended up being a 4th. Check out this link, this guy has done some research.

http://forums.kffl.com/showthread.php?t=247418

in a summery..brooking and peterson cancel each other out.. It looks like we will get a 4th,5th,and 7th round pick (foxworth,boley,and grady)

I don't believe thats true but I very well could be wrong. Did we cut Brooking or was his contract expired? I was pretty sure Peterson was released by Jax. Released players dont count in determining Comp picks.

I've tried to follow it over the last few years and the biggest determinant I can find is contract value. Overall the equation is Qualifying Free Agents Lost - Qualifying Free Agents gained = number of comp picks. So if Brooking was released and not an UFA he wont count as a qualifying player lost....same thing with Peterson.

I know we lost Boley, Foxworth, Grady and Lawyer. I'd guess that Foxworth has an outside chance at getting us a third because they paid him almost 7 million. If he isnt a 3rd he'll be one of the first 4s. Lawyer pry wont be more than a 7th, Grady maybe a 6th or 7th. Boley I'd guess at 4 or 5. Brooking is up in the air because i dont remember if he was cut or if he was a UFA.

Which Qualifying FAs did we sign? FA was a little quiet for us this year so we should be lookin at the full array of picks.

I don't believe thats true but I very well could be wrong. Did we cut Brooking or was his contract expired? I was pretty sure Peterson was released by Jax. Released players dont count in determining Comp picks.

I've tried to follow it over the last few years and the biggest determinant I can find is contract value. Overall the equation is Qualifying Free Agents Lost - Qualifying Free Agents gained = number of comp picks. So if Brooking was released and not an UFA he wont count as a qualifying player lost....same thing with Peterson.

I know we lost Boley, Foxworth, Grady and Lawyer. I'd guess that Foxworth has an outside chance at getting us a third because they paid him almost 7 million. If he isnt a 3rd he'll be one of the first 4s. Lawyer pry wont be more than a 7th, Grady maybe a 6th or 7th. Boley I'd guess at 4 or 5. Brooking is up in the air because i dont remember if he was cut or if he was a UFA.

Which Qualifying FAs did we sign? FA was a little quiet for us this year so we should be lookin at the full array of picks.

I don't think either count. Both were cut, not UFA's.

I don't think either count. Both were cut, not UFA's.

Brooking was definitely a free agent. I know this because we were trying to sign him back (contrary to many opinions on here), but he chose to sign for more money with Dallas.

As for Peterson, I'm pretty sure he was a free agent as well. I don't believe he was released because if JAX was going to release him, they would have done it immediately after his run in with Del Rio.

So, I think both players count, but both cancel each other out.

We wont get anything for Milloy since he wasnt signed by any other team. FA's we signed would be Brian Williams, Marty Booker, and Mike Peterson. I do believe Peterson will cancel Brooking out. We havent really signed anyone that has made much of an impact besides Peterson....

We wont get anything for Milloy since he wasnt signed by any other team. FA's we signed would be Brian Williams, Marty Booker, and Mike Peterson. I do believe Peterson will cancel Brooking out. We havent really signed anyone that has made much of an impact besides Peterson....

Lawyer signed with Seattle.

Brian Williams, Marty Booker and Mike Peterson were all released players....they don/t count.