Sam Baker was benched for performance

SWIFT HITTER

Falcons don't say much about injuries

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 29, 2009 10:28 PM ET The Falcons survived Sunday without Matt Ryan and Michael Turner. For now, the Falcons are doing a good job keeping the severity of the injuries to both players under wraps.

"He's been looked at. I know it's a toe injury," Falcons coach Mike Smith said after Sunday's game in reference to Ryan. "When we get to Wednesday and see where he's at, we'll have a little bit better prognosis."

Ryan has a toe injury, while Turner re-injured his ankle. The Falcons also played without starting guard Harvey Dahl and tackle Sam Baker in the second half. Dahl hurt his right ankle and Achilles tendon, while Baker says he was benched for performance reasons, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Smith said that Baker had a variety of injuries.

The Falcons did well to sneak out a win with Chris Redman at the helm Sunday, but they won't want to test their luck again.

Atlanta faces Philadelphia next week in a huge game for NFC playoff positioning. A loss would drop the Falcons two games behind Philadelphia.

not at all.

we need to bench

Houston

Coleman

Abe

McClure

Blaylock

Elam

Yeah because it's completely normal to bench 6 starters when they aren't playing up to par.

Why does everybody have to be so negative? You really think benching 6 key players is going to improve things? Just because a player is in a rut doesn't mean the solution is just to bench him. Coleman deserves to be out there...I have no idea why you mentioned his name...who the **** exactly do you suggest we replace him with? And yeah let's bench our star defensive end and see where that gets us. McClure? Blalock? You really think we have guys that are better players than them? Blalock is in his 3rd season for goodness sake and was terrific last year, but yeah let's bench his @ss for Quinn Ojinnaka, that'll show him.

Do you realize we are 8th in the NFL in sacks allowed? Our o-line has played great for the majority of this season. Just because they're having some hiccups over the past few weeks doesn't mean we should bench 3/5 of our line. That solves NOTHING.

People on this board amaze me sometimes. We've got to have the most negative fans of any sports team ever. We win a close game like this with all the injuries that have happened and still all I see on these boards are people b*tching about every little thing.

They were saying Baker had an injured left shoulder and I'm 100% sure that was affecting his performance and was the reason he got beat a few times and couldn't finish the game.

Yea... Ive heard that he is not healthy either.... I heard he was benched because he was not effective because of the injury.

Yeah because it's completely normal to bench 6 starters when they aren't playing up to par.

Why does everybody have to be so negative? You really think benching 6 key players is going to improve things? Just because a player is in a rut doesn't mean the solution is just to bench him. Coleman deserves to be out there...I have no idea why you mentioned his name...who the **** exactly do you suggest we replace him with? And yeah let's bench our star defensive end and see where that gets us. McClure? Blalock? You really think we have guys that are better players than them? Blalock is in his 3rd season for goodness sake and was terrific last year, but yeah let's bench his @ss for Quinn Ojinnaka, that'll show him.

Do you realize we are 8th in the NFL in sacks allowed? Our o-line has played great for the majority of this season. Just because they're having some hiccups over the past few weeks doesn't mean we should bench 3/5 of our line. That solves NOTHING.

People on this board amaze me sometimes. We've got to have the most negative fans of any sports team ever. We win a close game like this with all the injuries that have happened and still all I see on these boards are people b*tching about every little thing.

good post +1

For all those not thinking Baker is injured or was pulled simply for playing poorly - watch the replay of this game again. On the play just before he gave up the sack (and left the game) he stayed on his back on the field. I thought he was going to stay down and let the trainers come out to take a look at him. I mean, he stayed down about as long as someone can without the refs calling a time out. But he slowly got up, then got beat the very next play. It was obvious that something was wrong.

They were saying Baker had an injured left shoulder and I'm 100% sure that was affecting his performance and was the reason he got beat a few times and couldn't finish the game.

It's obvious if the guy has an injured left elbow and left shoulder, it's a little difficult to stop a 285lb DE trying to run around at full speed.

Notice the coaches actually said Baker is injured yet swiffer leaves that out of the title since it doesn;t create as much "DRAMA".

swiftkick is the Atlanta Falcons equivalent of the Miss USA Pagents Paris Hilton.

He comes onto the message board after each game ranting and screaming about benching players. This week, swifty is stirring up DRAMA on Baker in a Carrie Prejean kinda way.