Falcons Mock Off-Season

Snelling44

Hey guys, my name is Chad and i am a big fan of the NFL Draft. This will be my first time making a mock off-season. I enjoy watching tape and have a good feel for most of these guys. Some things to get out of the way. I think we receive a 4th, 5th and 7th as comp. picks and I also included a full 1st round mock. I have us trading down, even though i don't like mocks with trades.

I firmly believe we will go after a CB in FA and maybe draft more CB depth. Brian Williams will be a FA so as of now i'll assume he doesn't come back because we believe in Chris Owens. Grimes is also a FA and i think he stays as depth and who knows.. Chris Houston might even get cut :o

Re-Signings:

Tyson Clabo - OG/OT

Jason Snelling - RB

Michael Koenen - K

We let Brian Williams, Jerious Norwood and Brian Finneran go. Norwood is just too injury prone. We even had to take him off KR's which is what he excels at because of his injuries. I can't see us re-signing him.

FA Signings:

Dunta Robinson - CB

We are desperate for CB help and Dunta Robinson is likely going to be let go by the Texans. The Texans don't have much cap room and have some notable big name FA's. With cash being tight and Dunta Robinson wanting out of Houston he will be a great fit in Atlanta. We have the cap room this year with Vicks contract gone, so we need to sign some big name players.

Thomas Davis - SLB

The Panthers have even less cap room and with Peppers, Marshall and a few other guys being FA they won't be able to keep all of them. Davis is an outstanding LB that fits our defensive scheme for a fast aggressive LB. If we want to be a legitimate team we need an upgrade over Stephen Nicholas.

Brodie Croyle - QB

Since Redman is a FA and is getting up there in age, we need to bring in a veteran QB that can compete for the back-up job. Croyle has some starting experience and a big arm, unlike some of the past back-ups we've had. We won't have to dink-and-dunk, if god forbid Matt Ryan gets hurt.

The Draft

We trade down with Arizona who is in need of a Top Tier LT. We pick up an extra 3rd in the trade.

1. Browns - Jimmy Clausen - QB

2. Bucs - Ndamukong Suh - DT

3. Rams - Jake Locker - QB

4. Lions - Russel Okung - OT

5. Redskins - Sam Bradford - QB

6. Bills - Gerald McCoy - DT

7. Chiefs - Eric Berry - S

8. Seahawks - Taylor Mays - S

9. Raiders - Carlos Dunlap - DE

10. Broncos - Terrence Cody - DT

11. 49ers - Joe Haden - CB

12. 49ers - Bryan Bulaga - OT

13. Jets - Dez Bryant - WR

14. Titans - Derrick Morgan - DE

15. Texans - Jared Odrick - DT

16. Dolphins - Rolando McClain - MLB

17. Cardinals - Bruce Campbell - OT

18. Ravens - Damian Williams - WR

19. Packers - Charles Brown - OT

20. Jaguars - Tim Tebow - QB

21. Steelers - Earl Thomas - S

22. Eagles - Greg Hardy - DE

23. Seahawks - Trent Williams - OT

24. Giants - Brandon Spikes - MLB

25. Cowboys - Anthony Davis - OT

26. Bengals - Mike Iupati - OG

27. Patriots - C.J. Spiller - RB

28. Falcons - Brandon Graham - DE

29. Chargers - Dan Williams - DT

30. Vikings - Travis Lewis - OLB

31. Saints - Sean Weatherspoon - OLB

32. Colts - Nate Allen - FS

Rest of Falcons draft.

1. Brandon Graham - DE - Michigan - 6'1 - 263lbs. - 4.72

I have never seen a player as dominant as him in college. I've watched a lot of Michigan games exclusively to see Brandon Graham. He is hands down the best DE in college football at the moment. He may be a bit small and won't run that well at the combine but he is a FOOTBALL player. He is so quick off the snap and uses leverage so well to get around the OT. It's amazing to watch him play. He is very explosive and has good technique as well as a variety of pass-rush moves. Not only that but he has 25 TFL and is outstanding against the run as well. I don't understand how he seems to be overlooked in mocks. Watch some of tape of this guy and you can tell he will be a stud pass-rusher in the NFL. He would be able to start Day 1 at LDE and can eventually take over for Abraham on the right side.

3. Eric Decker - WR - Minnesota - 6'3 - 215lbs. - 4.52

Eric Decker is a sure handed WR and will be a steal for anyone who takes him in the 3rd, where he is currently projected. He was at one point a borderline 1st, but his injury has caused his stock to drop. He is the definition of a possession WR and will catch anything thrown his way. We won't have to deal with Jenkins and his inconsistency anymore. With Brian Finneran leaving and Jenkins not playing up to his contract, he will get some decent playing time.

3. Ciron Black - RT - LSU - 6'5 - 322lbs. - 5.27

There is no question we need help at RT. With Clabo moving in at RG after Dahl's departure we are left with a hole at RT. Ciron Black may not be able to handle the speed rushers off the left side in the NFL but he will make a heck of a RT. He is a tremendous run blocker and will be able to handle NFL LDE's.

4. Walter Thurmond - CB - Oregon - 5'11 - 182lbs. - 4.45

Another great player who's stock took a tumble after suffering an injury. He was one of the most impressive CB's in college but he has only played 4 games this year. He is extremely athletic and a physical CB. Exactly what we need. He is also a playmaker and can jump up and fight with the best of them. Also, unlike Chris Houston and Brent Grimes he is actually a very solid tackler.

(4). Andre Anderson - RB - Tulane - 5'11 - 212lbs. - 4.48

Stuck on a terrible offense consisting of himself and stud WR Jeremy Williams. He has surpassed 1000 yards on the ground despite working with a sub-par offensive line. He runs with power and shows a lot of explosiveness running between the tackles. Anderson is also a great pass catcher out of the backfield and will compliment Turner well, if he can beat out Snelling for the 2nd string spot. I've watched a few Tulane games and I know Andre Anderson can be a great RB if he has some room to work with.

5. Barry Church - S/LB - Toledo - 6'1 - 219lbs. - 4.56

One of my favorite late round prospects in the draft is Barry Church. I watched a full game of him vs. Ohio State, his best opponent this year, and came away very impressed. Toledo played him a lot down in the box as a LB. He is very athletic and can deliver some bone crushing hits. It's a shame he doesn't get more recognition because he plays for Toledo. He has the ability to play both LB and SS in the NFL, but more importantly he will be a beast on Special Teams.

(5). Reggie Stephens - OG - Iowa State - 6'3 - 334lbs. - 5.24

A big mauler at G who is a tremendous run blocker but can also pass block. He was voted team captain and is a leader of the Iowa State football team. Scott Wright had him on his Hot List after a solid season and an impressive performance against Ndamukong Suh. If that is not impressive, i don't know what is. He will give us some much needed depth on the OL. He can also play C.

6. Terrell Hudgins - WR/TE - Elon - 6'2 - 236lbs. - 4.58

A small school star who broke Jerry Rice's receiving record. Hudgins is a big physical WR but like most, he probably won't run well. He is worth a late round flier to see if he can develop his blocking skills to be able to play TE. With Tony G as his mentor, any thing can happen.

(7). Brett Swenson - K - Michigan State - 5'8 - 185lbs. - N/A

We need a young new kicker because Elam has been downright terrible this year. Swenson is accurate and can hit 50 yarders. It's about time we get a young kicker we can keep for a long time.

I'd appreciate all of your thoughts and comments.

Edited by Snelling44

Id rather get witherspoon as a WLB or stay where we are and spikes as a SLB

This is my thoughts too. Don't feel we need a DE really i like the set we have already. Once our CB's start getting better coverage our DE's will start getting to the QB more. I would prefer spikes at SLB with Thomas davis at WLB. Davis, Lofton, Spikes = one of the most elite lb's core int he nfl for a long time coming.

This is my thoughts too. Don't feel we need a DE really i like the set we have already. Once our CB's start getting better coverage our DE's will start getting to the QB more. I would prefer spikes at SLB with Thomas davis at WLB. Davis, Lofton, Spikes = one of the most elite lb's core int he nfl for a long time coming.

I'm sorry, but this statement makes no sense. It's the other way around, if we get a better pash rush, then our CB's will become better. I don't care how good the CB's are, if there's no pressure then there going to get picked apart. So therefore I'm all for drafting a DE in round 1 since we get absolutely no pressure. Abe's old, Bierman looks like he'll turn out to be a good football player. Syd needs more playing time. Anderson doesn't have any pass rush from the outside and Davis hasn't done much so I think we need to bring in another pass rusher.

Overall real good mock and I'd be pleased with it.

Very well thought out.

We very much need a quality vet CB and quality (immediate starters) at DE, RT, OLB, and immediate contributors at RB and WR.

We need a back who can do what Norwood does, but can pop it up the middle a bit more, and is durable.

We need a WR who can turn his body to make the catches (a guy who Ryan can feel comfortable putting it up for.) These guys can be 3rd round kind of guys.

We obviously need a CB who can immediately start and be good, so I'm hoping we can acquire on in FA. We need a similar tier RT, so we need it through the FA route, or 3rd round or before. DE is similar to CB. We need an impact guy soon.

OLB I actually think can wait if it has to, but I'd be good with acquiring a veteran. Currently, the group is good against the run, but definitely lacking in the pass coverage dept. While I'd like a vet here, I also think a 3rd to 4th rounder who's a bit on the small side could help a lot.

Overall, you cover the needs well, and give us some interior line and receiver projects. I'd be happy with the draft assuming the first round DE is a beast. Otherwise, I'd take a hybrid LT/RT with that pick.

I'm sorry, but this statement makes no sense. It's the other way around, if we get a better pash rush, then our CB's will become better. I don't care how good the CB's are, if there's no pressure then there going to get picked apart. So therefore I'm all for drafting a DE in round 1 since we get absolutely no pressure. Abe's old, Bierman looks like he'll turn out to be a good football player. Syd needs more playing time. Anderson doesn't have any pass rush from the outside and Davis hasn't done much so I think we need to bring in another pass rusher.

everything he said ;)

Davis, Lofton, Spikes = one of the most elite lb's core int he nfl for a long time coming.

Though that would be amazing we might suffer in some other areas. Would defnintely not be opposed to that line up if it were to happen ^_^

I like this new guy :lol:

lol@ Chad

Appreciate the kind remarks sir. I assume your name is Reginald.. you are from Maine correct?

Agreed completely. DL>>>Secondary. Chauncey Davis was a pretty big disappointment. He was given a contract extension and was supposed to overtake Jamaal for the starting spot but he's no where to be found.

Edited by Snelling44

Very well thought out.

We very much need a quality vet CB and quality (immediate starters) at DE, RT, OLB, and immediate contributors at RB and WR.

We need a back who can do what Norwood does, but can pop it up the middle a bit more, and is durable.

We need a WR who can turn his body to make the catches (a guy who Ryan can feel comfortable putting it up for.) These guys can be 3rd round kind of guys.

We obviously need a CB who can immediately start and be good, so I'm hoping we can acquire on in FA. We need a similar tier RT, so we need it through the FA route, or 3rd round or before. DE is similar to CB. We need an impact guy soon.

OLB I actually think can wait if it has to, but I'd be good with acquiring a veteran. Currently, the group is good against the run, but definitely lacking in the pass coverage dept. While I'd like a vet here, I also think a 3rd to 4th rounder who's a bit on the small side could help a lot.

Overall, you cover the needs well, and give us some interior line and receiver projects. I'd be happy with the draft assuming the first round DE is a beast. Otherwise, I'd take a hybrid LT/RT with that pick.

Thanks and i can almost guarantee Brandon Graham will be a beast. I have not a doubt in my mind :)

Man, you talk my language.Best mock I have ever seen.

lmao thanks man.