Pat Yasinskas point of view on Chris Oewns

atljbo

Norm in Atlanta writes: Pat, I read in the AJC today that Chris Owens is getting a shot to either start or play substantial minutes in the upcoming game against the Bucs. In fact, Abraham was quoted as saying they are going with Chris to try and rectify the problems with the secondary. I thought Abraham calling out the secondary to the press was of particular note, especially since the lack of pass rush in one of the problems. But what I can't understand is why, with all the focus on the potential of Owens in the offseason, it has taken so long to give him a shot. What do the Falcons have to lose--all their other corners have been torched by any decent quarterback faced? Appreciate any insights.

Pat Yasinskas: I think the Falcons have been wise in going slowly with Owens, their third-round draft pick. It’s tough for a rookie cornerback to come in and start right away. I’m sure, Smith and the coaching staff have worked hard to get him ready and you might get a pleasant surprise. Owens is physically talented. If he’s ready for the mental part of the game, he could solve a lot of the problems the Falcons have been having.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjua2YCCM0o

Nice, thanks for posting.

Hey atljbo, do you remember the falcons bringing in a few cornerbacks about a month ago to try out? I mentioned it in another thread about Owens and nobody seemed to know what I was talking about. I really hope I'm not loosing my mind, but I swear it happened. I figured you would know because it is very possible you posted the article. Thanks.

Nice post. I hope he lives up to the video. And, this WOULD be an excellent time to give him some playing time....unless of course, he stinks up the Dome....but really, that's already been done this year by our current CB's.. :rolleyes:

GO, YOU DIRTY BIRDS!!!

FalconJim.

Edited by FalconJim

Well at this point I gotta call him Crisp Owens.

I've seen all of his CB plays (in the preseason) and if he is not better he won't be able to wear Bent Grimes' jock strap.

Sadly Bent Grimes is our best corner.

Throw him out there and let him try to cover Bryant who roasted Houston and Foxworth last year? OK.

Like it has been stated before the Defense we ran in the preseason is not the D we have been running in th Regular season. The D in the preseason is the kind of D we eventually want but we still do not have the CB's right now to play man to man on the outsides and bring the house like we did against the rams. That game was crazy. Nic was coming, lofton, Mikey P. it seemed like the whole secondary was blitzing that game.

Thats the D we want to be but we just do not have the corners as of right now. But to call Chris Owens Crisp is just stupid.

People say they hate the way BVG calls plays but really he is just a coach that wants to dial up the pressure, so he sends Thomas a lot and it usually gets picked up because Abe doesnt want to rush the QB so theres only one guy the O-line has to worry about and thats Thomas. If Ownes can come in and play as well as we want him to, teams will have to stop running those 1st down curls on us on 3rd down when we want to bring the house.

And as much as people hate on Houston, he can cover well, ball skills lack but teams rarely throw those curls on Houston and if they cant throw them on Owens Thomas will get there a lot more and hey maybe even Abe will join the party.

And just a little side note its a little annoying that Abe plans to get back on track against the Bucs, it would have been nice if HE HAD DONE THAT AGAINST THE SAINTS.

I've seen all of his CB plays (in the preseason) and if he is not better he won't be able to wear Bent Grimes' jock strap.

Throw him out there and let him try to cover Bryant who roasted Houston and Foxworth last year? OK.

fraud whining already.

i think owens has a future as a starter at LCB or RCB, and i hope he can be that for us sooner than later, but he missed a lot of tackles in the pre season which a CB on the outside cannot do. i'm very eager to see him on defense soon because i love his selection and believe he will be the best of the CB's we have right now. he will need help though from future drafts because grimes is a good 5th CB, and hill, jackson and houston need to sign elsewhere when they become free agents. hill will sign elsewhere this off season, and we need to draft another good young developmental CB in rd 3 or 4.

Actually they wear the same size jock strap.

So, in 40 years of watching football, you've never seen a player improve from training camp?

Bryant has done his usual disappearing act- hasn't sniffed a 100 yard game this year.