My Thoughts on the Season

falcndave

Pros:

1) We point to weaknesses in Jenkins and Ryan (I'm happy with both fyi). We point to injuries to Turner and Douglas. Yet, in very few of our big losses have I've looked back on the game thinking, "Our offense just didn't get it done today." So, despite being less prolific than our off season estimations, the offense has been fairly consistent about putting points up.

The stats say: 10th in scoring offense (32 teams). 16th in total offense. 1st in 4th down efficiency at 8-10.

2) We've beat the teams we should beat. We are who we think we are. The only exception was Carolina in my mind.

3) We've still got a chance to make the playoffs.

Cons:

1) We won't win a big game on the road this season unless we make the playoffs. Our last two left are with TB and NYJ. Our real defining road games against teams in the hunt were all very disappointing. NO, NYG, NE, and Dallas. Sigh. The silver lining is we only folded once (in Dallas). We fought a good fight in the others.

2) We MUST do something about pass defense all around. Limited pressure combined with zero coverage is a deadly combination.

Looking forward:

1) The Eagles game is shaping up as a must win. The Giants will not hang in the wild card race. The contest will be the Falcons, Eagles/Cowboys (one will win division), and GBP fighting for two spots.

GB has a tough game in Pittsburg on the road. Their other tough contest will be easier because of timing. They end the season on the road in Arizona against a team who will be treating that game like the 4th preseason game. Their schedule looking back is a lot like ours. They have lost to 4 good teams and one poor team. They do have one impressive win over Dallas. Their schedule ahead is against teams one notch up from the type of teams they have been beating.

Eagles: Of their 6 games remaining, they have 3 fairly tough games on the road against ATL, DAL, and NYG. The DAL game is in week 17. How things go between now and then could make that a very important game for both teams.

You all know our schedule. Wars against the Eagles and Saints and games we better win vs. NYJ, TB, TB, and Buf. I honestly see this team being able to "play in" with a win at Tampa in week 17. That game is a bit scary to me. That game will be their Superbowl IF we win enough down the stretch to make it important to us.

Summary:

We are what we appear to be. We are a decent team. We have one glaring weakness (pass defense). Ten games into the schedule we lack a defining victory.

Prediction:

Falcons beat TB, TB, Buf, NYJ (may rethink based on weather. Giants stadium can be a wet cold windy mess in December.)

Falcons lose to NO. Our weakness makes it impossible for me to predict victory. Someone will beat them...hmmm.

The season swings in the balance on December 6. That is also my Birthday. There is only one thing I want this year!

So what do you guys think? Am I realistic? What is your opinion?

Edited by falcndave

Pros:

1) We point to weaknesses in Jenkins and Ryan (I'm happy with both fyi). We point to injuries to Turner and Douglas. Yet, in very few of our big losses have I've looked back on the game thinking, "Our offense just didn't get it done today." So, despite being less prolific than our off season estimations, the offense has been fairly consistent about putting points up.

The stats say: 10th in scoring offense (32 teams). 16th in total offense. 1st in 4th down efficiency at 8-10.

2) We've beat the teams we should beat. We are who we think we are. The only exception was Carolina in my mind.

3) We've still got a chance to make the playoffs.

Cons:

1) We won't win a big game on the road this season unless we make the playoffs. Our last two left are with TB and NYJ. Our real defining road games against teams in the hunt were all very disappointing. NO, NYG, NE, and Dallas. Sigh. The silver lining is we only folded once (in Dallas). We fought a good fight in the others.

2) We MUST do something about pass defense all around. Limited pressure combined with zero coverage is a deadly combination.

Looking forward:

1) The Eagles game is shaping up as a must win. The Giants will not hang in the wild card race. The contest will be the Falcons, Eagles/Cowboys (one will win division), and GBP fighting for two spots.

GB has a tough game in Pittsburg on the road. Their other tough contest will be easier because of timing. They end the season on the road in Arizona against a team who will be treating that game like the 4th preseason game. Their schedule looking back is a lot like ours. They have lost to 4 good teams and one poor team. They do have one impressive win over Dallas. Their schedule ahead is against teams one notch up from the type of teams they have been beating.

Eagles: Of their 6 games remaining, they have 3 fairly tough games on the road against ATL, DAL, and NYG. The DAL game is in week 17. How things go between now and then could make that a very important game for both teams.

You all know our schedule. Wars against the Eagles and Saints and games we better win vs. NYJ, TB, TB, and Buf. I honestly see this team being able to "play in" with a win at Tampa in week 17. That game is a bit scary to me. That game will be their Superbowl IF we win enough down the stretch to make it important to us.

Summary:

We are what we appear to be. We are a decent team. We have one glaring weakness (pass defense). Ten games into the schedule we lack a defining victory.

Prediction:

Falcons beat TB, TB, Buf, NYJ (may rethink based on weather. Giants stadium can be a wet cold windy mess in December.)

Falcons lose to NO. Our weakness makes it impossible for me to predict victory. Someone will beat them...hmmm.

The season swings in the balance on December 6. That is also my Birthday. There is only one thing I want this year!

So what do you guys think? Am I realistic? What is your opinion?

I agree with your points, We're sitting at 5-5 and we're still in the hunt with 4 of our last 6 games at home. I've been a bit puzzled by some of the playcalling this year at times, we seem predictable on offense. Ryan looked good last week in the second half in the no huddle. He also thrived out of the Shotgun when we spread the defense out, we should do more of this. Our offense has a chance to really get some confidence this week against bucs. The next three games will get tougher as each passes. We need to put on a good show tomorrow to have plenty of confidence against Philly. Then if we beat Philly we'd have plenty of confidence against New Orleans, but first things first let's get tampa.

I agree with your points, We're sitting at 5-5 and we're still in the hunt with 4 of our last 6 games at home. I've been a bit puzzled by some of the playcalling this year at times, we seem predictable on offense. Ryan looked good last week in the second half in the no huddle. He also thrived out of the Shotgun when we spread the defense out, we should do more of this. Our offense has a chance to really get some confidence this week against bucs. The next three games will get tougher as each passes. We need to put on a good show tomorrow to have plenty of confidence against Philly. Then if we beat Philly we'd have plenty of confidence against New Orleans, but first things first let's get tampa.

I agree about using the no huddle more. However, we need to plan personnel better. There was a time or two when the refs stood over the football and allowed the Giants to make substitutions because we changed players. I think we look good in the no huddle because we go to it in order to preserve mis-matches we have on the field. Once we substitue we lose that aspect of it.

However, it is still a good thing. I think it causes Ryan to do more "playing" and less "thinking." He reads the defense and makes his move.

Sometimes I think Matt overthinks and in the no huddle, like you said, he just reacts to what he is seeing. Our offense needs to take off these last 6 games and I think it may just do that. Hopefully Ryan is out of that funk he was in and with Turner coming back soon the running game should be there. Personally I think we should rest Turner this week to make SURE he's ready for the philly game next week.

Sometimes I think Matt overthinks and in the no huddle, like you said, he just reacts to what he is seeing. Our offense needs to take off these last 6 games and I think it may just do that. Hopefully Ryan is out of that funk he was in and with Turner coming back soon the running game should be there. Personally I think we should rest Turner this week to make SURE he's ready for the philly game next week.

I think we should give Turner a few snaps just to make sure he is "ready." I would feature Snelling. That is assuming Turner really is still recovering. If he is 100%, wind him up and let him go.

I expect our offensive production to increase for the remainder of this season. Do not underestimate the impact a post-bye defense can have against a young QB. Four defenses have had an extra week to game plan against our QB. Ryan has been learning under very tough conditions. This hard nosed training will make him a far better QB for years to come. We will see more spread sets and Weems will be seeing more action.

Our defense continues to be our great weakness. Our run defense has improved greatly. This offseason, TD will need to concentrate on the pass defense.

Our goal is to achieve back to back winning seasons. Playoffs and championships will come, but first things first.

Four defenses have had an extra week to game plan against our QB. Ryan has been learning under very tough conditions. This hard nosed training will make him a far better QB for years to come.

This is a great observation. I replied to a post about Ryan's progression about a month or go by saying that Ryan has been under playoff prep for several weeks now. Four out of five teams coming off byes. Six of Eight on the road. Giants, Cowboys, Saints, and Patriots during that stretch.

He needs to get over the hump and win one, but school has been is session for him all season at the NFL's big boy school of hard knocks. Playoff pressure on the road is already something he'll be familiar with when the time comes.

I expect our offensive production to increase for the remainder of this season. Do not underestimate the impact a post-bye defense can have against a young QB. Four defenses have had an extra week to game plan against our QB. Ryan has been learning under very tough conditions. This hard nosed training will make him a far better QB for years to come. We will see more spread sets and Weems will be seeing more action.

Our defense continues to be our great weakness. Our run defense has improved greatly. This offseason, TD will need to concentrate on the pass defense.

Our goal is to achieve back to back winning seasons. Playoffs and championships will come, but first things first.

I agree with everything you said, we are built to be good now we are also built for long term success.

Perfectly said on the offense. You have the best young QB, a powerful RB, the best block FB in the NFL, a solid receiver, a great receiver, and a great tight end, yet you can't even match last year's production.

The offense hasn't clicked this year. Harry Douglas wouldn't change that.

I disagree. Forgot to pay my DirectTV bill so they cut it off this morning. So, I pulled out last year's Chicago Bears :11 second defeat. Compare Booker's game (then a Bear) to Douglas and you'd have to be blind to say he wouldn't be a difference maker.

I think Dave is on the money about most, and I definitely hope he is right about our remaining wins. I just wish we could get one BIG win to hush up the naysayers. I'm dedicated to the process. This year, the b2b winning season curse is lifted. Next year, we could be a contender w/the addition of a few key pieces. But I think the team needs that big win to do anything this year in terms of a playoff run. It would do wonders for their confidence and the fans' confidence in them.

I have a bad feeling that loss to Carolina is going to come back to haunt us at the end of the year.

Maybe not, if they collapse again. We can only hope.... Not sure who's left on their schedule, but I hope they get a beatdown by a bad to mediocre team. That should only help Biccuit Boy's morale. :)

Maybe not, if they collapse again. We can only hope.... Not sure who's left on their schedule, but I hope they get a beatdown by a bad to mediocre team. That should only help Biccuit Boy's morale. :)

Not the point I was trying to make, I'm not worried about them for the playoff picture at all.

More like if we end up at 9-7 I just don't see us in the playoffs, hence 10-6 just seems a whole lot more likely IMO. So if that loss to Carolina puts us at 9-7 at the end of the year then it "comes back to haunt."

On another note, I agree with the OP regarding the game IN Tampa. That's going to be a rough one no matter what their record is. I feel the worse their record is going into it the tougher the game will be

Edited by Goal Line D

Not the point I was trying to make, I'm not worried about them for the playoff picture at all.

More like if we end up at 9-7 I just don't see us in the playoffs, hence 10-6 just seems a whole lot more likely IMO. So if that loss to Carolina puts us at 9-7 at the end of the year then it "comes back to haunt."

On another note, I agree with the OP regarding the game IN Tampa. That's going to be a rough one no matter what their record is. I feel the worse their record is going into it the tougher the game will be

I hope you're wrong about the Tampa home game. That's one of the wins I'm putting in my win column. I can see your point on that, though, as they do seem to be improving.

I don't see us making playoffs at 9-7 either, but stranger things have happened. Either way, barring some truly drastic improvement on both sides of the ball, we ain't going deep even if we do make it in.

I hope you're wrong about the Tampa home game. That's one of the wins I'm putting in my win column. I can see your point on that, though, as they do seem to be improving.

I don't see us making playoffs at 9-7 either, but stranger things have happened. Either way, barring some truly drastic improvement on both sides of the ball, we ain't going deep even if we do make it in.

On this I agree for the most part.

I feel the offense is going to really hit its stride down the home stretch and shows us all what we thought they'd be at the beginning of the season.

Defense.....hmmmm....not so sure?!?! Worries me plenty.

At least we have plenty of home games and they seem to really step it up in the Dome.

Hopefully Abe awakens from his slumber and begins to terrorize QB's again!

Cons:

the cardinals didnt beat any big team on the road last year until they made the play-offs. unless you count 49ers, seahawks, st. louis rams tough road teams? i guess my point is it shouldnt be a 'Cons" if we dont win a big road team this year. the cards did the same and went to the superbowl.

the cardinals didnt beat any big team on the road last year until they made the play-offs. unless you count 49ers, seahawks, st. louis rams tough road teams? i guess my point is it shouldnt be a 'Cons" if we dont win a big road team this year. the cards did the same and went to the superbowl.

I guess I don't put a lot of wait on the whole morale victory thing. In BIG road games we are 0-4. It just means that we are not there yet. I never said it was the end of the world. I know some people like to count SF for some reason. That makes us 1-5.

At the end of the season, you need to have dominated at home and played .500 or better on the road. If we do that, we will make the playoffs.