WHO'S HOLDING OUR TEAM BACK

nobkowski

This is how I would rate the units that had the most impact on our wins and losses.

WINS

MIA (19-7) - DEF

CAR (28-20) - OFF

SF (45-10) - DEF, OFF, ST

CHI (21-14) - DEF

WAS (31-17) - DEF, OFF, ST

TOTAL - DEF(4), OFF(3), ST(2)

LOSSES

NE (26-10) - DEF, OFF

DAL (37-21) - DEF, OFF, ST

NO (35-27) - DEF, OFF, ST

CAR (28-19) - DEF, OFF

NYG (34-31) - DEF, OFF ST

TOTAL - DEF(5), OFF(5), ST(3)

NET TOTAL = DEF(-1), OFF(-2), ST(-1)

http://bleacherrepor...urce=newsletter

This guy tells it just like it is ! ! !

This has been hashed, mashed and french fried over and over on this board. But the truth is there:

Either Houston is not being coached well, or Houston is not coachable. He continues to make the same mistakes repeatedly, and they are fundamental errors.

This writer is right, but then again, the problem(s) is pretty obvious.

This is how I would rate the units that had the most impact on our wins and losses.

WINS

MIA (19-7) - DEF

CAR (28-20) - OFF

CHI (21-14) - DEF

LOSSES

NE (26-10) - DEF, OFF

CAR (28-19) - DEF, OFF

Oh boy.....here we go again.

WINS

MIA (19-7) - DEF

CAR (28-20) - OFF

CHI (21-14) - DEF

LOSSES

NE (26-10) - DEF, OFF

CAR (28-19) - DEF, OFF

FFS70, you posted this in another thread yesterday, and I meant to ask you then what your evaluation is based on.

Is it game-changing plays?

TOP?

Number of plays? (Well i guess it can't be that for ST)

Yardage?

Edited by rounz

WINS

LOSSES

NYG (34-31) - DEF, OFF, ST

Don't understand the highlighted.

What did the defence do against San Francisco? The most important tackle of that game was made by a WR and the only defensive play I can remember barring the tipped-ball inception is when Grimes whiffed a tackle on Morgan and Brian Williams ran him down.

Against NYG the offence scored 31 points, won the time of possesion battle and only gave up one turnover. How did they contribute significantly to the loss?

Curious - would like to hear your thoughts

Don't understand the highlighted.

What did the defence do against San Francisco? The most important tackle of that game was made by a WR and the only defensive play I can remember barring the tipped-ball inception is when Grimes whiffed a tackle on Morgan and Brian Williams ran him down.

Against NYG the offence scored 31 points, won the time of possesion battle and only gave up one turnover. How did they contribute significantly to the loss?

Curious - would like to hear your thoughts

The gist of where he is coming from stems from a debate yesterday regarding which unit has been more disappointing as well as cost us the most games this year.

In his opinion the offense is mostly to blame. Weather or not we agree is what 6+ pages of debate on the subject were devoted to.

The gist of where he is coming from stems from a debate yesterday regarding which unit has been more disappointing as well as cost us the most games this year.

In his opinion the offense is mostly to blame. Weather or not we agree is what 6+ pages of debate on the subject were devoted to.

That was my thread, and it was a **** good thread if I do say so myself, it showed clearly that the defense is what has dropped off the last 5 games, but still dude felt like arguing even though he pretty much proved my point by pointing out that the defense has been to blame in all of our losses.

That was my thread, and it was a **** good thread if I do say so myself, it showed clearly that the defense is what has dropped off the last 5 games, but still dude felt like arguing even though he pretty much proved my point by pointing out that the defense has been to blame in all of our losses.

Yes good thread indeed Peyton. ;)

The debate was quite interesting although flawed logic and subjective stats started to take it downhill from there.

FFS70, you posted this in another thread yesterday, and I meant to ask you then what your evaluation is based on.Is it game-changing plays?TOP?Number of plays? (Well i guess it can't be that for ST)Yardage?

It was based off reviewing all ten boxscores and my memory of the games. It doesn't include play by plays or all of the tapes. i think it's pretty close.

Don't understand the highlighted.What did the defence do against San Francisco? The most important tackle of that game was made by a WR and the only defensive play I can remember barring the tipped-ball inception is when Grimes whiffed a tackle on Morgan and Brian Williams ran him down.

The defense held SF to 10 points. They forced three turnovers, got three sacks, held their RBs to 47 yards, and their QB to a 39% completion rate.
Against NYG the offence scored 31 points, won the time of possession battle and only gave up one turnover. How did they contribute significantly to the loss?Curious - would like to hear your thoughts
The offense could not run the ball. They gave up eight QB hits and two sacks, one of which led to a fumble that the Gnats turned into 7 points. They also dropped a game winning TD. Edited by FalconFanSince1970

Proved your point? I don't think so bro. I showed where both the offense and defense had equal impact on all five losses. Also showed where the defense had more impact on our wins. What you talkin bout Willis?

Thank you - have now read the relevant thread.

I disagree with FFS1970 but at least I know where he's coming from.

+1 for you

The gist of where he is coming from stems from a debate yesterday regarding which unit has been more disappointing as well as cost us the most games this year. In his opinion the offense is mostly to blame. Weather or not we agree is what 6+ pages of debate on the subject were devoted to.

Ugh wrong. My point was the offense and defense both contributed to all five losses and the special teams contributed to three of em.

My second point was the defense had a bigger impact on our wins than the offense or special teams.

The defense held SF to 10 points. They forced three turnovers, got three sacks, held their RBs to 47 yards, and their QB to a 39% completion rate.

The offense could not run the ball. They gave up eight QB hits and two sacks, one of which led to a fumble that the Gnats turned into 7 points. They also dropped a game winning TD.

The defence caused 1 turnover (the tipped ball I mentioned)

The special teams unit caused 1 (Tony Gilbert if I remember correctly)

The offence caused 1 (Roddy's strip of Dre Bly)

-------

If you criticism of the offence is valid then every single unit can be criticised EVERY GAME - not everyone is perfect all the time.

The Defence has given up a TD every game haven't they?

What on earth does QB hits have to do with how the offence played?

-------

As to the rest of your (entirely subjective) analysis - nothing jumps out at me, which is why I did not mention it. I'm sure others will chime in though if they are fussed about it.

The defence caused 1 turnover (the tipped ball I mentioned)The special teams unit caused 1 (Tony Gilbert if I remember correctly)The offence caused 1 (Roddy's strip of Dre Bly)

10 pts allowed, 3 sacks, 39% completion rate and 45 rush yards allowed is a defensive as beatin.
If you criticism of the offence is valid then every single unit can be criticised EVERY GAME - not everyone is perfect all the time.The Defence has given up a TD every game haven't they?
My post was not criticism. I had no agenda to down either unit unlike Peyton. That was my objective view of the 10 games.
What on earth does QB hits have to do with how the offence played?
Go back and watch that game and see what happened on the plays Ryan either got hit or sacked on.

Ugh wrong. My point was the offense and defense both contributed to all five losses and the special teams contributed to three of em.

My second point was the defense had a bigger impact on our wins than the offense or special teams.

Ok fine... since I do know that you are an overtly emotionally invested fan like myself I will just decide not to debate you full force on the subject.

I was simply giving the poster a very brief summary of what I read as the arguments were coming faster than a ping pong ball in a hypothetical Chinese Ping Pong Super Bowl.

I will agree with Peyton with the fact that a team that is, if I remember correct, #9 in scoring (sue me if I got that wrong) is to blame over a defense that is dead last in allowing opponents 3rd down conversions.

All the 3 and outs on offense have been terrible for sure but to say that, on emotion (because your stat line on O, D, ST is subjectively based on that), the offense is the problem well...we will just hopefully agree to disagree.

Ok fine... since I do know that you are an overtly emotionally invested fan like myself I will just decide not to debate you full force on the subject.

Bro I love a good debate. Especially with a Falcon fan that knows something. Keep it comin.

I was simply giving the poster a very brief summary of what I read as the arguments were coming faster than a ping pong ball in a hypothetical Chinese Ping Pong Super Bowl.
It's all good.
I will agree with Peyton with the fact that a team that is, if I remember correct, #9 in scoring (sue me if I got that wrong) is to blame over a defense that is dead last in allowing opponents 3rd down conversions. All the 3 and outs on offense have been terrible for sure but to say that, on emotion (because your stat line on O, D, ST is subjectively based on that), the offense is the problem well...we will just hopefully agree to disagree.
Well herein lies my problem with Peyton's theory. He is using season stats instead of looking at each game individually. If you are going to blame a unit for most of the losses at least look at the losses. If you do you will find that the offense and defense both had a major influence on all five losses and the STs on three of em. That's an objective view with no predetermined conclusion or agenda.

The Miami and the 49ers game are the only games where I remember the defense being a major asset to us during our win. Other than that they have been either inconsistent or just down right awful. Our offense didn't execute at all in the Dallas or Patriots game, and was okay with the Dolphins, but they have otherwise been a major strong point for us this year.

Remember, this offense, this year is shaping up to be one of the best offenses this team has EVER had in terms of points scored.

Proved your point? I don't think so bro. I showed where both the offense and defense had equal impact on all five losses. Also showed where the defense had more impact on our wins. What you talkin bout Willis?

So, ok you are saying that the defense played great in our wins, which happened in the first 5 games, and that the defense didn't play so great in the losses, which came in the second 5 games, right?

Because that was the point of my thread.

Bro I love a good debate. Especially with a Falcon fan that knows something. Keep it comin.

It's all good.

Well herein lies my problem with Peyton's theory. He is using season stats instead of looking at each game individually. If you are going to blame a unit for most of the losses at least look at the losses. If you do you will find that the offense and defense both had a major influence on all five losses and the STs on three of em. That's an objective view with no predetermined conclusion or agenda.

You are exactly the opposite of right. That is not what I did at all. I compared a number of different measurable standards from the first 5 games to that of the second 5 games.

Dude, the defense was fantastic in the red zone in the first 5 games. In the last 5 games, they've sucked in pretty much every way imaginable. That's what you see when you look at the games individually.