85 members have voted

1. 1. What has it been?

• Harry Douglas
    • Peria Jerry
    • Brian Williams
    • William Moore
    • The Running Backs
    • The Special Teamers

Simple question - which injury has had the biggest impact on our record?

Harry Douglas

Came in to TC and lit it up. Would have provided a Welker-esq target in the slot giving Ryan a third read on every play. Also impacted the explosiveness of our punt returns (long punt return so far has been 24 yards). Would have made the offence that much more explosive.

Peria Jerry

Was beginnning to draw double teams and collapse the pocket. We had 5 sacks in 1.5 games when he was playing and only 15 in the 8.5 games since. You can also see the effect on the run game by comparing the two Carolina games.

Brian Williams

Didn't give up a single touchdown in his 5 games and provided veteran leadership to the secondary - far fewer blown coverages can be seen in the opening five games. Kept Grimes and Jackson off the field.

William Moore

Would have pushed Coleman by this stage and has more range than him. However probably not a key injury TBH.

Running Backs

Missed Ovie against Dallas and Chicago (Turner was poor in those games), Turner against Carolina and New York (although Snelling played well) and Norwood's big play ability has been missing most of the season. For a team built on running the ball this has had a major impact.

Special Teamers

Schneck's injury brought in a new long snapper which may have contributed to Elam's struggles. Elam himself has been listed with a bad hamstring - we could be 7-3 now. Harris has missed time and our punt coverage (particularly TD to ice the game in Dallas) has been less than stellar this year.

Opinions sought...I think it's either Jerry or Williams but there are arguments to be made for all except Moore IMO

I am actually surprised that anyone would pick anyone other than HD. 2nd biggest loss was Brian Williams.

Losing Harry Douglas changed the whole dynamic of our offense. JUNKins wouldn't be the #2 receiver right now...HD would be.

wouldn't matter who we had at wr if our D can't get off the field...which is why i picked peria. williams is a close 2nd though.

wouldn't matter who we had at wr if our D can't get off the field...which is why i picked peria. williams is a close 2nd though.

JMO

I agree that Jerry put pressure up the middle and that alone forces errant throws and or sacks.

My take is that at the end of the day the CB's have to cover and losing BW hurt.

I am actually surprised that anyone would pick anyone other than HD. 2nd biggest loss was Brian Williams.

Losing Harry Douglas changed the whole dynamic of our offense. JUNKins wouldn't be the #2 receiver right now...HD would be.

Jenkins would still remain the number two because though his recieving skills are questionable at times, he can still run block.

I think Jerry is a huge hit. If we were able to get pressure on the QB the CB weekness would not be as great

I have to say this is a really good Topic you started and I fully agree on your assessment of the players. I'm glad you mentioned Ovie too because a lot of people do not realize how good a blocker he is. Everyone should focus on Ovie on some plays and just watch what he does.

I had to vote for Jerry, but I"m basing that on assuming he would have been as good as we all thought. Our D Line has not been getting pressure on the quarterback and if we had pressure our corners would be much better. I think one of the reasons the coaches like Grimes so much is because they assumed we would be getting good pressure on the quarterback, which would lead to bad passes and I think that is where Grimes would excel.

I think that HD would be second and then Brian Williams

Jerry.

Think about it.

When he played, our defense was creating turnovers - sacks, fumbles, interceptions - all in one game! He drew a lot of attention which created more opportunities for the rest of the defense to make plays. Babineaux and Biermann were both wreaking havoc across the line.

Although we can't really predict how well Jerry would have done, he definitely would've helped this D-line.

Why did somebody give this a -1? Do people love to use the rep system that much or is it something else? I never use the rep system and I don't know Guerillaontology, but I'm giving this a +1 to even it out because I find it undeserving of a -1. Not that it really matters that much, but I found it odd so I fixed it. Anyway, carry on with the poll now :)

I think the loss of HD really hurt our offense which was supposed to be the strength of the team, but the offensive struggles have really hurt. We knew our defense was a work in progress, but we figured this offense was as close to a sure thing as it could get. The HD loss got my vote and i didnt realize it at first but i see now, especially with the Struggles of Michael Jenkins

Simple D equation: successful pass rush = no sweat in the secondary

I dont think that our problem has been our DT as much as DE. Babs and JA98 have done a more than decent job, but i do think they could do a better job of maintaining their rushing lanes when putting pressure up the middle.

Successful Secondary = Coverage Sacks, it could go either way and they really play off each other.

I dont think that our problem has been our DT as much as DE. Babs and JA98 have done a more than decent job, but i do think they could do a better job of maintaining their rushing lanes when putting pressure up the middle.

Successful Secondary = Coverage Sacks, it could go either way and they really play off each other.

A DT pulling a double-team will free up a DE for a better pass rush. Jerry was beginning to draw those double-teams when he got hurt. That's why our entire D-Line played better before his injury. Our secondary was being supported by a good pass rush. Now that that is down the tubes, they are being exposed for what they are.

A DT pulling a double-team will free up a DE for a better pass rush. Jerry was beginning to draw those double-teams when he got hurt. That's why our entire D-Line played better before his injury. Our secondary was being supported by a good pass rush. Now that that is down the tubes, they are being exposed for what they are.

Babs and JA98 are still pulling Double teams in the middle. I am not trying to lessen the value that Jerry would have had in this defense, but the CBs play this year has been terrible and i dont think Jerry would have helped enough to compensate for the terrible play we have gotten from the secondary.