Understanding the Disease of "Immediate Gratification"

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you kidding me with this post?

One super bowl appearance (a loss) and no back to back winning seasons in 43 years and your primary complaint is that the younger fans ("kids these days") are suffering from a want of instat (or immediate as you say) gratification?

How is the Falcons' history relevant to the question of whether the discontent of younger fans is a desire for immediate gratification? Why should people who have only been fans for a few years complain more about the fact that we don't have a super bowl ready team right now just because we have only been there once before? I can understand that a fan of 40 years would start to lose patience with repeated rebuilds, but a new fan who doesn't understand that a rebuild takes more than one or two years cannot draw any support from the Falcons' history, which they have not suffered through. Nor can the Falcons' history be cast as a complaint against TD and Smith; that is not their fault nor their concern. All they can do is build a super bowl team as quickly as they can.

If anything you seem to be suffering from the "disease" known as complacency.

Go Falcons.

The original post misapprehends the way today's NFL has been designed with free agency and the new CBA.

Dynasties, for the most part, are a thing of the past. Parity reigns in today's NFL.

It's not a disease of the youth causing a desire for immediate success, but rather the design of today's NFL where expectations of immediate success (by owners, coaches, players, and fans) is the norm.

To assert that this phenomenon is unique to younger fans is baseless and not supported by the realities of today's NFL, imho.

Edited by Irish Falcon

I don't proclaim to be a bigger or better fan of the Atlanta (by gawd!) Falcons than any other member of these boards, but I've probably been a fan for longer than most (since 1966), and there in is the point of this thread.

It seems to me that some of the younger "fans" of our team suffer from the disease of "immediate gratification". In other words, "I want it all, and I want it NOW!" This is a typical reaction from children that have been spoiled by their parents. Their mommy and daddy caved to their every demand because,...well, it was the easiest thing to do. "Here's your new BMW, Johnny. Please don't flunk 10th grade, and please take out the garbage like you promised."

Now some of these children are "grown" (?) and claiming to be Falcons fans. The fact that we have a QB only in his 2nd season and playing the most demanding and difficult position in all of sports (JMO), doesn't register with them. If he's not leading us to the Super Bowl THIS YEAR, he ain't worth spit, right? "Immediate Gratification Disease" at it's best example.

The fact that we are in the 2nd season of a major if not total rebuild does not register with some. "I want it all, and I want it NOW!"<_<

All fans want their team to do well, but one thing I have learned in 40+ years as a fan of this team is patience. Myself and many others like me understand that our patience will pay off eventually. How soon it pays really is not the issue. The real issue is:

"If you ain't got the time, don't spend your dime."

Move on and find another team to be a "fan" of.

QFT!

You do realize of course that the only people to get this post are the ones who have been there, done that, and understand the process (to quote a certain HC) of developing a team.

The problem is that too many people play FF or Madden and somehow believe that the game and the game are the same.

Im not so sure that the team has regressed as much as we pulled a stupidly difficult schedule. I dont think I need to remind people of how many teams we played off of their bye weeks and the amount of difficult road games.

If any team had a more difficult schedule (playing so many teams AT THEIR STADIUM right after their BYE WEEK, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Can't really argue with anything you said.....I do still think though that we were whistling past the graveyard with the defense. Even without the Jerry and Moore injuries, TD and Smitty were putting a pretty questionable unit out there.

It kills me to say this but I believe we need to follow at least a part of the 'Aints defensive blueprint they adopted this past offseason. They brought in a hired gun coordinator (I'm not anti-VanGorder, maybe he hasn't had the pieces yet to really show what he can do.....I don't know)....They really revamped that secondary too.....with the exception of Thomas DeCoud that's what we need to do too.

As good as our offense can potentially be any given Sunday I just don't feel like we have anything close to a good enough defense to take us where we all want to be.

Grit - I understand your concerns - we all have them. To be realistic though, the Saints have been in rebuilding mode at least 2 years longer than the Falcons. They went through a year similar to this one last year.

With Cap Space (don't forget - we took that big hit for Vick, had some major contracts to renew and of course had to take care of the draft class - leaving little for free agency), availability in the free agency and so many needs on the team - it is just not possible to complete the rebuilding in one or two years.

I disagree about running out and grabbing new DC's or OC's every year. I think the players suffer in the end. Keeping a core group of players and coaches together will pay off in the long run.

We may not get that far this year - but over the next offseason and into next year - we will continue to grow - build depth and positions of need and it will pay off for us in the long run.

I have said since before this year began that this is a young group that needs time to gel. Ryan is a great QB with tremendous upside and potential - but he's a second year QB facing new challenges and learning along the way. I suppose I'm not as upset as most because there have really been no surprises to me this year. I've expected them to play like SB contenders some weeks and high school chumps others. I am not shocked or disappointed. I expected it. I am only disappointed in the collapse of our kicking game and the inability to close a few games we should have. Especially when it's the flip of a coin or the easy catch. But, I'm ready to move on from those - and keep believing in my team while they take the steps necessary to reach the final landing spot - and take the big prize.

I'm actually quite pleased that we came out of the schedule from **** run without a losing record.

You really do have to have patience and I'm grateful our FO has that.

If Smitty felt that we needed a different DC - I guarantee you that AB would not make him dish out a quarter of a million dollars of his own money to bring him in.

That's the difference between an owner who wants to build a perennial contender and one who is there for the profit.

We should continue along the path we are following - and yes - there will be complainers and whiners and people who really just don't "get it" - including the media - who are masters at stirring the controversial pot. They love nothing more than to keep people at each others throat because it makes them money in the end.

Human beings are the easiest to manipulate and it shows on this board. How many complain about "trollers" and "spammers" and yet they continue to respond to them and bump them to the top. The "spammers" are sitting there laughing and pointing at all the little "puppets" doing exactly what they want. We are all guilty of it - but it just shows human nature and how easily we are manipulated by a few words which in the scheme of things - mean nothing.

It's sad that we have such an unknowledgeable fanbase overall. Perhaps it is partly because of the media, the Team history and the transient nature of the City - but I find it sad nonetheless. Too many of our fans just don't "get it", period.

Superfan, agree completely.

I remember the days in the NFC West where the only realistic scenarios for a falcon win involved plane crashes and food poisoning, or plane crashes AND food poisoning.

Been a fan for years, and I remember what the 2007 season was like. The transformation into a real team again has been wonderful.

I loved the Giants game- thought it was great football, hated losing it, but the falcon team that I saw in NY can win 5-6 more games and get to the playoffs.

I get to watch a HOF type QB develop before my eyes, yes there will be growing pains, but it's fun to watch.

Im not so sure that the team has regressed as much as we pulled a stupidly difficult schedule. I dont think I need to remind people of how many teams we played off of their bye weeks and the amount of difficult road games.

No doubt.

Last year= AFC and NFC west.

This year= AFC AND NFC east.

Much different.

Edited by trickworm

Ive been a fan of this franchise for over 25 years and Im just tired of the same ole Falcons. Yea we all seen glimpses last year but have we really turned the corner into being one of the successful run franchises? Thats the real question that needed to be ask. We start the year 4 and 1 everything looks good yet we havent found a way to find ways to win on road. Its frustrating cause this was a season with some hopes of being a legit contender and to be truthfully honest we are further off then we were lead on to believe.

Lets not act like this season while not over hasnt been a disapointment. We are not going to win the division,

We are more then likely not going to make the playoffs that leads us fighting down the strecth to break this back to back curse this has been. I as a fan of tired of mediocrity .

Ive been a fan of this franchise for over 25 years and Im just tired of the same ole Falcons. Yea we all seen glimpses last year but have we really turned the corner into being one of the successful run franchises? Thats the real question that needed to be ask. We start the year 4 and 1 everything looks good yet we havent found a way to find ways to win on road. Its frustrating cause this was a season with some hopes of being a legit contender and to be truthfully honest we are further off then we were lead on to believe.

Lets not act like this season while not over hasnt been a disapointment. We are not going to win the division,

We are more then likely not going to make the playoffs that leads us fighting down the strecth to break this back to back curse this has been. I as a fan of tired of mediocrity .

Swifty just be Venting, and thats ok people, Swifty needs to get this out of his system before Sunday.

Trouncing The Yucks will be like a Spring Tonic. :D

Swifty just be Venting, and thats ok people, Swifty needs to get this out of his system before Sunday.

Trouncing The Yucks will be like a Spring Tonic. :D

yea..I just like to vent... anyone who will question my love for the team cause I might spew some negative comments dont know me ..I love this team more then my mother..true story

I agree.

I have been a fan of this team forever. I want to win and I want to do it on a regular basis. We have holes yet we can't fix them. Guess what the secondary was suspect last year and we did nothing until the 11th hour to fix it. I will still be a fan but I would love to see a big win before I die. I get tired of that feeling I get almost every December when we fail. It's hard.

Can this process work? I hope so. Then again I was excited when Jerry Glanville brought us a glimpse of success or that short time in the early 80's when we looked like we could join the NFL elite, or that exciting 2 weeks at the end of January 1999 when it felt and looked like we could win it all.

There is no need to give up on this team. I have yet to so why should I stop, but in reality I would love a winning team. I want to be one of those arrogant Pat's fans. I want to see commercials on TV that show our teams highlights instead of the cowboys, steelers, pats and so on. I want Matt Ryan to host SNL and be a hit like Payton Manning. I want to feel that even though we didn't win it all at the end of the season, I can take solace in the other three trophies at home and the prospect that next year we will be back on top. I know this takes time but heck it's taken 44 years to get this close.

I agree.

I have been a fan of this team forever. I want to win and I want to do it on a regular basis. We have holes yet we can't fix them. Guess what the secondary was suspect last year and we did nothing until the 11th hour to fix it. I will still be a fan but I would love to see a big win before I die. I get tired of that feeling I get almost every December when we fail. It's hard.

Can this process work? I hope so. Then again I was excited when Jerry Glanville brought us a glimpse of success or that short time in the early 80's when we looked like we could join the NFL elite, or that exciting 2 weeks at the end of January 1999 when it felt and looked like we could win it all.

There is no need to give up on this team. I have yet to so why should I stop, but in reality I would love a winning team. I want to be one of those arrogant Pat's fans. I want to see commercials on TV that show our teams highlights instead of the cowboys, steelers, pats and so on. I want Matt Ryan to host SNL and be a hit like Payton Manning. I want to feel that even though we didn't win it all at the end of the season, I can take solace in the other three trophies at home and the prospect that next year we will be back on top. I know this takes time but heck it's taken 44 years to get this close.

solid post agree on all acounts

Swift I am in your corner on this one. Year after year it's the same ole crap. It has never been peiced together. One year we have the players, but the coaching staff / GM is inept, and the next few years we have the coaches / GM and the players are inept. If the defense isn't folding ( OMG '05 AND '06 ) The offense is just ******** '07, '03, '92 - '97, you know the deal.

I with you, am just tired of the same ole mediocore can't turn the corner football. This was supposed to be the year we turned the corner. You either $%^$ or get the h e l l off the pot.

Swift I am in your corner on this one. Year after year it's the same ole crap. It has never been peiced together. One year we have the players, but the coaching staff / GM is inept, and the next few years we have the coaches / GM and the players are inept. If the defense isn't folding ( OMG '05 AND '06 ) The offense is just ******** '07, '03, '92 - '97, you know the deal.

I with you, am just tired of the same ole mediocore can't turn the corner football. This was supposed to be the year we turned the corner. You either $%^$ or get the h e l l off the pot.

Jump off. You are welcome back when things turn around.

Just because you realists were unrealistic in your expectations - doesn't make it reality.

Jump off. You are welcome back when things turn around.

Just because you realists were unrealistic in your expectations - doesn't make it reality.

Tandy, 40 yrs. You know that is a life time. Just how much time are you willing to wait? Unrealistic? What's so unrealistic about wanting a consistant winning team?

Tandy, 40 yrs. You know that is a life time. Just how much time are you willing to wait? Unrealistic? What's so unrealistic about wanting a consistant winning team?

Nothing is unrealistic about what you want. I totally get where you are coming from and yes - I know it's a lifetime - I've been waiting right there with ya!

What is unrealistic is how everybody thought that one or two offseasons would complete the job.

If we didn't have the injuries we have - we'd be in better shape - but the truth is - we don't have the depth we need - because we aren't finished building.

We did exceptionally well last year for 3 reasons - 1. very few significant injuries - we were very healthy through the year, 2. a very good schedule - not saying we didn't have tough games or teams - we did - but we had enough teams that were not playoff caliber to make a difference and 3. The players bought into it. They believed in Smitty and the coaching staff and each other. There was a special magic about that team last year.

Over the off season we made some moves - but we were limited - by the cap space - the contracts we had to renew and the availability of players at the positions we needed.

Because of the pickup of Gonzo and the way the players looked in practice - everyone started believing this team was complete. I loved what I was seeing - but I knew that a new defense - and the youth on that team was not going to be a matured, ready team - and that we would see ups and downs. The schedule - brutal and frankly - I still don't get it. Never in the history of the NFL has a team had to face what we did this year.

Then when the injuries started - I knew we were going to be facing a tough battle. Not that I don't believe in them - but I know that depth is the final piece of putting together a rebuilding team and we are not at that point yet. I did let myself, like you get all caught up in the great play at home - and I still believe in them completely.

What I am not - is surprised or angry. I understand that this owner, this front office, these coaches and these players are truly putting something together that we've never had here. I know that it takes time and as much as I'd like to see it together right now - I know it may be next year before we truly see the jump.

I am not disappointed in them because I understand that this is not the same old Falcons. They are not going out and grabbing gimmicks or superstars and trying to flash and dash their way to glory. They aren't playing games with our team. They are steadily building a real team that we can enjoy for years to come.