Scout’s notebook: defensive review

atljbo

link

A year of dominance

Ever since my initial player rankings were posted in September, Murray State’s Austen Lane has always been a top-20 defensive end prospect in my mind. As soon as you pop in a tape of any Murray State football game and watch Lane perform, it’s obvious the guy is ready to take his game to the next level. He finished the season with 64 total tackles, 19½ tackles for loss and 11 sacks and wrapped up his college career last weekend vs. Tennessee Tech with 10 total tackles and 1½ tackles for loss. Lane possesses a freakish combination of size (6-6, 258), length and body control and has a physical skill set very similar to Miami Dolphins OLB/DE Jason Taylor. In no way am I saying Lane will have a career similar to Taylor’s because those kinds of expectations are too much for any prospect to live up to. However, what I am saying is that Lane is a highly gifted athlete who, with a strong postseason showing, could end up being one of the most coveted pass rushers in the draft

The guy can play either..... Like the other report compared him to Justin Tuck.... Lane is strong against the run and can also rush the passer..... Austen Lane Coach said that Austen lane is up to 268lbs.

The guy is talented.... I think Austen Lane is better then Sidbury (and i really like sidbury) ..... I now think that we might have to get Austen Lane in the 3rd round.

The guy can play either..... Like the other report compared him to Justin Tuck.... Lane is strong against the run and can also rush the passer..... Austen Lane Coach said that Austen lane is up to 268lbs.

The guy is talented.... I think Austen Lane is better then Sidbury (and i really like sidbury) ..... I now think that we might have to get Austen Lane in the 3rd round.

Hence the problem JBO, we need a LDE that has shown to have an impact against the run against top compeition. We cannot afford any longer to put JA98 and or DAvis in on running downs unless it is goaline or short yard situation. I have seem good teams passing on those downs when JA98 and DAvis are in. Biermann, Sidbury, even Abe are not very strong against the run which is why we see JA98 and DAVis in but we give up a pass rushing edge. ABe is in on running downs only because he has more experience than Beirmann and Sidbury agaisnt the run. It is getting to the point where we can not have any projects at DE that we have to wait to see if they can handle the run. I feel like with Hardy, Morgan, Griffen we have players that have the size and proven that are equally good run defenders as well as pass rushers. I am not saying that Lane cant develop into a LDE but right now given the fact that he needs to bulk up and show that he has the strenght to compete against NFL tackles I think DE needs to be addressed early.

If we draft a DE, I want it to be a 1st or 2nd round talent.

Despite great measureables, Lane is still going to be ANOTHER project DE who will have a steep learning curve.

Sidbury and Biermann need to grow first.

I agree We need top tier talent that can play LDE without having to physically grow into the position. I was cool with it at first but I the time has come to upgrade the DE position with some 1st round talent.

Hence the problem JBO, we need a LDE that has shown to have an impact against the run against top compeition. We cannot afford any longer to put JA98 and or DAvis in on running downs unless it is goaline or short yard situation. I have seem good teams passing on those downs when JA98 and DAvis are in. Biermann, Sidbury, even Abe are not very strong against the run which is why we see JA98 and DAVis in but we give up a pass rushing edge. ABe is in on running downs only because he has more experience than Beirmann and Sidbury agaisnt the run. It is getting to the point where we can not have any projects at DE that we have to wait to see if they can handle the run. I feel like with Hardy, Morgan, Griffen we have players that have the size and proven that are equally good run defenders as well as pass rushers. I am not saying that Lane cant develop into a LDE but right now given the fact that he needs to bulk up and show that he has the strenght to compete against NFL tackles I think DE needs to be addressed early.

dude we are going to do the D-Line rotation regardless..... even if we draft derreick morgan... Austen Lane can play the run day 1 in the nfl...

If we draft a DE, I want it to be a 1st or 2nd round talent.

Despite great measureables, Lane is still going to be ANOTHER project DE who will have a steep learning curve.

Sidbury and Biermann need to grow first.

I truly feel like austen lane is better then biermann and sidbury (and i like both of them and think both will be good) .... I dont think the guy is a project as much as you guys think.

Ofcorse i want a derrick morgan or greg hardy first..... if we dont go DE in the first round i would be happy with Austen Lane... The guy is going to be a impact DE in the nfl

dude we are going to do the D-Line rotation regardless..... even if we draft derreick morgan... Austen Lane can play the run day 1 in the nfl...

I truly feel like austen lane is better then biermann and sidbury (and i like both of them and think both will be good) .... I dont think the guy is a project as much as you guys think.

Ofcorse i want a derrick morgan or greg hardy first..... if we dont go DE in the first round i would be happy with Austen Lane... The guy is going to be a impact DE in the nfl

I need to see something on this cat, I learned my lesson about just going off scouting reports LOL. If really depends if we need to address other position 1st but i feel like DE is the most important in this upcoming draft. I dont think we will be rotating at DE like we are now if we can get a impact player at LDE. I think we rotate at DE like we do because we have too. BAbs doesnt come out unless he needs a break, the same would go if we had a DE that played the run as well as the pass.

Lane may very well be better than Sidbury and Biermann, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a project.

How many NFL OT's and G's is he facing? Sidbury and Biermann dominated their competition too, but the competition is MUCH stiffer in the NFL.

That is why you cannot count on him to be a force in the first few years of his career.

Think about this: We have 5 DEs on our roster..... and 3 of them are projects from small schools.

It just won't work imo.

Lane may very well be better than Sidbury and Biermann, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a project.

How many NFL OT's and G's is he facing? Sidbury and Biermann dominated their competition too, but the competition is MUCH stiffer in the NFL.

That is why you cannot count on him to be a force in the first few years of his career.

Think about this: We have 5 DEs on our roster..... and 3 of them are projects from small schools.

It just won't work imo.

i would not as of now compare biermann to lane. biermann's impact and contributions are subtle but huge. i just finished watching the giants game and biermann made key essential tackles. he owned the 1st giants series.

please tell me why you think so easily that lane will be better biermann? not because hes tall?