PETA thinks UGA needs robotic bulldog.

crankdatfalcon

Woof, beep! Replace Uga with a bulldog robot, says PETA

1:18 pm November 24, 2009, by Jim Galloway

While it sounds like something Georgia Tech might suggest, Tim Bryant with WGAU (1340AM) in Athens just posted this:

People for Ethical Treatment of Animals has a suggestion for the University of Georgia, which is looking for a replacement for Uga VII, the Georgia Bulldog mascot who died last Thursday in Savannah:

PETA says the University should use what it calls an “animatronic dog,” or use a person in a costume. PETA has sent its suggestion via e-mail to University of Georgia Athletic Director Damon Evans. The PETA e-mail follows…

In the wake of the untimely death of the University of Georgia’s (UGA) bulldog mascot, Uga VII, PETA has asked the school’s athletic director, Damon M. Evans, to replace the mascot with an animatronic dog–or to rely solely on a costumed mascot–instead of using another real bulldog. Bulldogs are prone to breathing difficulties, hip dysplasia, heart disorders, and other congenital ailments, and acquiring a dog from a breeder perpetuates the animal overpopulation crisis while causing another dog waiting in an animal shelter to be condemned to death.

Dude... seriously... **** PETA. Buncha morons. Animals are not people. Animals are below humans, not equal.

Millions of dogs have been put to sleep and they want to ask the University of Georgia to go against a tradition, where the dog is treated immaculately, just to save some mutt at the pound?

Eat a **** PETA, seriously.

Didn't these same wackos ask LSU to stop using a tiger for their mascot because it's inhumane or something? The friggin tiger lives in one of the best facilities of any captive animal. Screw those guys.

Dude... seriously... **** PETA. Buncha morons. Animals are not people. Animals are below humans, not equal.

Millions of dogs have been put to sleep and they want to ask the University of Georgia to go against a tradition, where the dog is treated immaculately, just to save some mutt at the pound?

Eat a **** PETA, seriously.

Didn't these same wackos ask LSU to stop using a tiger for their mascot because it's inhumane or something? The friggin tiger lives in one of the best facilities of any captive animal. Screw those guys.

Well, to your last point, tigers don't need to be captive in the first place. They're wild animals.

Well, to your last point, tigers don't need to be captive in the first place. They're wild animals.

And? Just because it's a wild animal doesn't mean anything. Unless you're under the assumption that wild animals have feelings too. In which case you can mail it something from Hallmark to make it feel better.

They didn't pluck the tiger right out of the wild, guy. He was born captive. Where are they supposed to return him to?

It isn't as though they are breeding another dog right now to be UGA VIII. Whatever dog becomes the next UGA is already born, they don't acquire him from some random breeder and don't have the new dog breed after the old one dies. I don't understand how using an already existing dog somehow condemns another to death in the pound. That dog in the pound was ****** anyway.

Also, an animatronic dog would be a slap in the face to the tradition of UGA and no fan or alumni would be ok with that. These people are crazy.

This is the same group of hypocrites that the state of Virginia was asked to reclassify as a slaughterhouse because of the 3,000 or so animals they took in in '06 in VA, 12 found homes. 97% of them were killed. The same group whose members in NC are facing 31 counts of felony animal cruelty charges for killing and dumping dogs they were supposed to be adopting out. Ethical treatment, huh? Screw PETA and anything and everything they say or want.

Edited by Nicolae

One of the only things I like about UGA is UGA. Do they (PETA) even know how ridiculous this is? UGA is the Seilier's family pet the rest of the week, who they take to a football game on the weekends. But, like someone else said, should UGA want to go thru with this, I'm sure you can find some Tech students that can help with this.

Screw PETA. I'm all about animals getting treated well, but I would rather support a decent group like the SPCA or Humane Society. I can't stand PETA.

Also, mascots such as UGA, Smokey, Mike the tiger and Auburn's Eagle that flies before their home games are pretty much treated like royalty.

True on all points.

They live better than most people.

Screw PETA. I'm all about animals getting treated well, but I would rather support a decent group like the SPCA or Humane Society. I can't stand PETA.

Also, mascots such as UGA, Smokey, Mike the tiger and Auburn's Eagle that flies before their home games are pretty much treated like royalty.

Exactly and I'm big on animal rights...

We're talking about an animal cared for better than 99.999% of the rest of the world's animal population. If this is legit, PETA needs to be chasing down the Michael Vicks of the world and not wasting resources.

If it's not legit, there are better ways to beg for Tech grads to beg for a job. ;)

Just look up peta and bombings. They are just plain horrible as an organization. Article

I used to provide financial support, but i haven't in a while after learning more about the organization and their actions. I now support our local human society and no-kill animal shelters. It's a shame that an organization that could be respected and have a very strong influence the right way nationally has decided to get involved in junk like this.

Just look up peta and bombings. They are just plain horrible as an organization. Article

I used to provide financial support, but i haven't in a while after learning more about the organization and their actions. I now support our local human society and no-kill animal shelters. It's a shame that an organization that could be respected and have a very strong influence the right way nationally has decided to get involved in junk like this.

Great to hear that Sac! The local no-kills need all the help they can get. PETA is nothing but an organization that wants publicity and that's it.

Good to see you back, I haven't had anyone to argue with around here! :P ;)