Meyer Plans on Coaching the Gators for a While

capologist

http://florida.scout.com/2/922644.html

By Bob Redman

FightinGators.com Insider

Posted Nov 23, 2009

The rumors have surfaced many times about Urban Meyer and the chance he may leave to coach another college football program. The Florida Gators head coach was pretty definitive on Monday squashing the latest rumors using his most definitive statements yet. He talked about being at Florida for a long time.

Urban Meyer has made some statements in the past that he would most likely like to withdraw. Unfortunately for him, the microphones were on and so he has had to meet with speculation about leaving his post at the University of Florida a lot more than he would probably like to. On Monday, he was pretty emphatic in his statement about staying at Florida.

“Yes, I am ready to dispel those rumors,” Meyer said of the latest batch of nonsense about the once envious Notre Dame head coaching position. “I am going to be at the University of Florida as long as they will have me. I want to make that clear.”

As usual, he didn’t stay long on the subject as he likes to concentrate on the task at hand, winning a game against arch rival Florida State this week.

Still, Meyer will probably make more Gators fans smile when he shared his desire to have some of his former players take over for him when his time comes to leave the head coaching job at Florida. Tim Tebow will likely go down as the most celebrated college football player ever and Meyer never stops talking about his leadership. Meyer believes Tebow, senior linebacker Ryan Stamper, and junior defensive end Justin Trattou will be excellent coaches some day.

“It is probably my dream because I love this place so much and have sunk my heart into it,” Meyer said. “Tebow and Stamper I guess I want around some day to lead this great program. That is every coach’s dream to make a place a little better and leave it in great shape. Then hand it off to someone to carry on. I think Stamper will be one of the great coaches and another guy is Trattou, I think he will be a phenomenal coach.”

For Gators it must be music to their ears. Meyer seemed to ring in the holiday season early and made it sound like one continuous holiday for Gator fans.

He was pretty definitive about staying at Bowling Green and Utah, too. Of course at this point it's understandable why he would want to stay at Florida for a good while... he's got a great thing going.

But just like the rumors will continue to swirl around Les Miles going to Michigan, it's going to swirl around Meyer about going to Notre Dame. You can never underestimate the importance of "going home" for a coach.

Notre Dame Urban Meyer scumbag classless Gaytors Tim Tebow jorts overrated bad NFL recruiting player Brandon Spikes thug gouge felon criminal run up score cheaters paid off refs loss of Harvin and Murphy don't deserve #1 ranking almost lost Alabama will beat by 100 points Meyer said it before so he will leave

Think I covered it all

Edited by Chili Dog

Tebow has future coach written all over him. Hard to tell what he'll do as a pro... he's definitely got the talent and ability to do something as a pro. But he's 100% coach, even as a player.

Don't know anything about Stamper or Trattou outside of the football field, but I'll take his word for it. It's not like coaches just come out and say their players would make outstanding coaches all the time.

Notre Dame Urban Meyer scumbag classless Gaytors Tim Tebow jorts overrated bad NFL recruiting player Brandon Spikes thug gouge felon criminal run up score cheaters paid off refs loss of Harvin and Murphy don't deserve #1 ranking almost lost Alabama will beat by 100 points Meyer said it before so he will leave

Think I covered it all

That actually did make me lol.

A coach isn't going to come out during the middle of a NC run and say "oh by the way I will be at ND next year," especially when the said university hasn't fired their current coach. With that said I don't think Meyer is going to leave and I hope he doesn't. The Kiffin v. Meyer rivalry has the potential to be one of the best of all time, I don't wanna see that ruined.

Just an FYI Meyer had a conference call with the family of 5 star DE Chris Martin a couple nights ago. Martin is currently commited to Notre Dame. After the call Martins father came out and said he thought his son would be signing with Florida to play with Meyer.

I will say the one reason I know Urbans staying more than any is that hes recruited harder this year than any year hes been at UF and we look to sign the best class we've ever had this year.

Who cares where he goes or where he stays...He's had his run, and should give Tebow half of his $4mil salary...

Stop treating these football coaches like gods dudes.

Florida or Notre Dame.....he's just another Billy Donovan after this season....

Good call. Tebow won us the National Championship in 06 too. He had such a terrible coaching resume before he got Tebow to. Im sure its all been luck.

Good call. Tebow won us the National Championship in 06 too. He had such a terrible coaching resume before he got Tebow to. Im sure its all been luck.

I don't like Urban Meyer, almost simply for the fact that he's head coach at the University of Florida. But I can't understand anyone who tries to take anything away from what he has done as a coach. He has done nothing but win everywhere he's been... with or without Tebow (though Tebow obviously is a big big part of Urban Meyer's legacy).

But I hate him and I wish he'd go to Notre Dame, where everyone is overrated. :angry::lol: