Jermaine Dye Open To First Base

Cable Guy

By Tim Dierkes [November 23, 2009 at 1:50pm CST]

Free agent Jermaine Dye is open to playing first base, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Dye's played one game at the position in '05, but teams are asking anyway. He played four games at first in Triple A back in '98.

The FOX writers speculate that Dye could make sense at first base for the Braves, Mets, Giants, and Orioles. Getting Dye out of right field would certainly improve his value. He's been quite bad for at least four years, and that's a sample of nearly 5,000 innings.

it's an interesting possibility. in the long run, it'd save his body and keep him a little fresher compared to running around in the OF and pulling something......even though he can just as easily pull something stretching out for the ball at 1st. if's he's willing to make the position change, i'd be more inclined to show some interest.

I just really wish we would re-sign LaRoche and sign some power for left field.

If this team tries to convert a player to a new position I do not feel confident in them being a contender when all is said and done. Can we please just build a strong team instead of trying to patch something together?

I am sure Dye is great but, we need someone for more than a stop gap. We need to build a multiyear team and not just keep tring to throw something together year after year.

Just my opinion though. I would rather re-sign LaRoch and get DeRosa for left instead of getting Dye and tring to switch his natural position.

The thing with LaRoche is though he wants a long term deal and the Braves just want a stopgap till Freeman is ready.

exactly. if we're going to look long term now, we might as well shake Adam's hand, thank him for his 2nd half surge, and put together a package for Adrian Gonzalez. this year is either a stop gap or long term.

The thing with LaRoche is though he wants a long term deal and the Braves just want a stopgap till Freeman is ready.

That is fine. Throw a 3-4 year deal at him, let him be our everyday first baseman for the next two seasons then Freeman will probably be ready to step into an everyday role and then Adam can probably be pretty valuable as a trade piece.

exactly. if we're going to look long term now, we might as well shake Adam's hand, thank him for his 2nd half surge, and put together a package for Adrian Gonzalez. this year is either a stop gap or long term.

Any package for him is more than likely going to involve Freeman. There is no trading for a stopgap. It is just too shortsighted to trade away talent for a stop gap at this point. We need to stop trying to just get into the playoffs and start building a multiple championship year team.

Any package for him is more than likely going to involve Freeman. There is no trading for a stopgap. It is just too shortsighted to trade away talent for a stop gap at this point. We need to stop trying to just get into the playoffs and start building a multiple championship year team.

That's why he said either stop gap OR long term.

I would like to see Adam return, but it seems like the Braves don't want to block Freeman. If we could trade Lowe to Boston then we could get Kotchman back for one year until Freeman is ready. And then with the money freed up by trading Lowe, we could sign a closer and maybe another hitter.

Edited by young mr. grace

of course it would have a 99.8% chance of including freeman for gonzo.......we can even throw schafer's nae into that deal as well. BUT the benefit is that we would have one of the top offensive 1st basemen, not to mention younger, in the game for at least 2 full seasons at 10.5M for those 2 seasons. our lineup instantly becomes better and we have a huge power threat in the middle of the line upe. of course, all of this is just speculation, but it never hurts to dream.

as for a stop gap, i agree.....you don't trade away top talent for a 1 year fix. Dye is an interesting possibility, and with his power, would be a welcome addition to the line up. Since LaRoche likely wants a multi-year deal, the best we could offer is a 2 year deal IMO and that may even be too long with freeman waiting in the minors.

Like I said we could trade Schafer, Minor, Freeman and another top prospect to get Gonzalez. Then let him play out his deal. Come the 2011 off-season we should have more than enough money freed up to sign Gonzalez long-term. That's unless he changes agents and goes to Scott Boras.

Freeman is not helping us this year. **** they don't even know if Heyward will be on the big league roster next year.

Like I said we could trade Schafer, Minor, Freeman and another top prospect to get Gonzalez. Then let him play out his deal. Come the 2011 off-season we should have more than enough money freed up to sign Gonzalez long-term. That's unless he changes agents and goes to Scott Boras.

Freeman is not helping us this year. **** they don't even know if Heyward will be on the big league roster next year.

I just feel like that is giving up too much for a player who may end up only being here a couple of years. Even if the Braves would have enough money freed up to sign re-sign him then where is the team going to be losing money from...most likely pitching and that will not be good.

I feel like Heyward and Freeman need to be kept and made into franchise players for the foreseeable future. We need to build a stong young team and not try to patch a team together made of more expensive middle aged players.

Just my opinion though.

If they are waiting for Freeman to be ready. I say put Prado, Omar or Conrad there. No sense in wasting money on someone for 1 or 2 years. That money can be spent on something better, like a closer or on middle relief. also may need to save some money for after next year. I have a strong feeling that when Cox retires Chipper will as well.

I would be all over a Gonzo trade even if it meant Freeman as long as we were able to get a sign and trade. If we could sign Gonzo to multi year deal we should. He is a proven player, and Freeman is still a pipe dream. What if we put all of our dreams into Freeman and he never pans out what then.

I would be all over a Gonzo trade even if it meant Freeman as long as we were able to get a sign and trade. If we could sign Gonzo to multi year deal we should. He is a proven player, and Freeman is still a pipe dream. What if we put all of our dreams into Freeman and he never pans out what then.

we trade him to the mets like the last guy......

If they are waiting for Freeman to be ready. I say put Prado, Omar or Conrad there. No sense in wasting money on someone for 1 or 2 years. That money can be spent on something better, like a closer or on middle relief. also may need to save some money for after next year. I have a strong feeling that when Cox retires Chipper will as well.

So we've decided not to be competative in 2010?

OK, that'll free up a lot of time this summer.

Exactly and Gonzo is still a young guy with many great years ahead of him. As far as many freed up KK's deal ends after the 2011 season which is when Gonzo will be a free agent. We also will probably have ridded ourselves of Lowe by then. Losing those 2 pitchers will not kill us. Not when our 2012 rotation could be Hudson, Hanson, Jurrjens, Minor and then maybe Vazquez if we re-sign him.

The problem is that teams like Boston and the Yankees ruin the economics for teams like Atlanta. Gonzo will never agree to give up his FA years because he knows whatever big market team needs a 1B will poney up $100M+ for the guy when he becomes available. I don't see how we can compete with that. At this point we might be better off hanging onto our promising position players ie. Heyward and Freeman and taking our chances that at least one pans out and he buys into what we are building here and does a McCann-esque deal. That is your only hope for a team like Atlanta to get this type of talent and keep them longterm.

The problem is that teams like Boston and the Yankees ruin the economics for teams like Atlanta. Gonzo will never agree to give up his FA years because he knows whatever big market team needs a 1B will poney up $100M+ for the guy when he becomes available. I don't see how we can compete with that. At this point we might be better off hanging onto our promising position players ie. Heyward and Freeman and taking our chances that at least one pans out and he buys into what we are building here and does a McCann-esque deal. That is your only hope for a team like Atlanta to get this type of talent and keep them longterm.

Well eventually need a replacement for Chipper, and Gonzalez would be that guy. By then we'd have more than enough money to sign him to a long-term deal. He's not going to command the $20m+ that a Teixeira does since he's not a switch-hitter, nor does he have that .300 average. I can see a 15-16m per season deal for him in the future, which is more than reasonable.

Yeah that's a very good point too.

Well eventually need a replacement for Chipper, and Gonzalez would be that guy. By then we'd have more than enough money to sign him to a long-term deal. He's not going to command the $20m+ that a Teixeira does since he's not a switch-hitter, nor does he have that .300 average. I can see a 15-16m per season deal for him in the future, which is more than reasonable.

That too.