How did our FG Kicking Unit have its Timing off 2 Weeks in a Row?

Firstiary

Our long snapper went on injured reserve. We picked up a free agent long snapper - Pittman right before the Carolina game.

Those of you who have never gone through the trials of an imperfect long snapper - will gain new appreciation for Schneck.

Boone Stutz anyone?

Anyway - can't say for sure that's the problem - but it sure coincides.

agreed, but elam has to be part of it. i used to kick in high school before i got tired of kicking on top of receiver and linebacker. ive had miscommunication with my snapper, ive also jumped like that. unless the snap comes just after you jump like that then it only takes about two seconds to get your feet planted and legs back in place to properly go through the kick.

im sorry but it cant be that ******* hard, seriously, it really cant.

they do nothing, i repeat nothing in practice 90% of the time so they should be able to work on. 1) head down, 2) count to 3, 3) snap. or something they can all get on the same page. it isnt the long snapper because after every kick elam mean mugs the heck out of koenen.

What bothers me the most is Elam's glares at Koehen. His punts were off yesterday and I hope Elam is not getting in his head. :angry:

Seriously. When is the last time Koenen had a 28-yard punt on a long field? And, while I am not sure of the wind conditions yesterday, his kickoffs didn't seem to have the power they normally do. If nothing else, it's the eat-isht-and-die looks Elam gives Koenen that have me wanting a new kicker. No matter what he says to the press, the dirty looks expose his true feelings.

It's one thing that Elam's missing so many kicks. It's another when his attitude is causing the other guys to play poorly. I posted last week that my main concern with Elam is his performance's affect on the rest of the team. Aside from shooting Koenen nasty looks, I wonder how the rest of the team is reacting? If we as fans are sitting on the edge of our seats when Elam trots out for a chip shot field goal, imagine what the guys on the team are thinking. At this point, I have a hard time believing that they feel confident making any field goals outside the 30. Everybody has to trust that everybody else will do his job. Yeah, I know that Jenkins is having issues, but if it got ugly enough (and to me, it's already getting ugly), Smith can sit Jenkins and put in Weems or Booker. We only have one placekicker (no, I don't think Koenen should kick field goals. We need him to concentrate on punting). The FO, however, does not seem to be doing something about this for some reason. I don't know what that reason is so I figure they must know something we don't and no matter how much we rant, it won't change until the FO is ready to do something. If it's communication, well, send the three of them out there on the practice field until they get it right. Still, the results on the field are unsatisfactory and, without any further information to go on, I think we need a new kicker. Soon.

Our long snapper went on injured reserve. We picked up a free agent long snapper - Pittman right before the Carolina game.

Those of you who have never gone through the trials of an imperfect long snapper - will gain new appreciation for Schneck.

Boone Stutz anyone?

Anyway - can't say for sure that's the problem - but it sure coincides.

Elam missed one FG in the first 7 weeks. Scneck only played in the first 7 weeks. Starting with week 8 Elam started having problems. I am not excusing Elam because I am running out of curse words for these misses on game day just an observation. On the other hand, if that were truly the problem then it would seem like they would work night and day repetetively to get it right. I don't know what it is but that stutter step Elam keeps having after he signals for the snap is unnerving and quite telling if he probably will make the kick before he kicks it.

You would think we'd get that isht figured out after what happened in Carolina. Right?That was one of the most infuriating things I've seen from any of my teams in a long time.Does anyone have any idea how we could repeat the same friggin mistake again this week?

I had never seen that in 45 years of watching NFL ball. Then it happens to us in consecutive weeks? Somebody should be fired. Either kicker, holder, snapper, ST coach or head coach.

If I was Blank all five of em would have to report to my office at 6:30 am on Monday morning for a debriefing.

Elam missed one FG in the first 7 weeks. Scneck only played in the first 7 weeks. Starting with week 8 Elam started having problems. I am not excusing Elam because I am running out of curse words for these misses on game day just an observation. On the other hand, if that were truly the problem then it would seem like they would work night and day repetetively to get it right. I don't know what it is but that stutter step Elam keeps having after he signals for the snap is unnerving and quite telling if he probably will make the kick before he kicks it.

Actually, he missed 2 FGs and an extra point in week one (He also shanked an extra point in preseason). Other than going 2 of 4 in week one, he only attemted 2 FGs the following six weeks, so your assesment of him "only missing one FG in the first 7 weeks is not only totally wrong, but very skewed, slso. He only attemted 6 FGs in those first 7 weeks. He's attempted 10 FGs in the past 4 weeks. The point is, even with Schneck as the holder, Elam was around 66%. This is solely on Elam, not the holder, not Koenan.

Actually, he missed 2 FGs and an extra point in week one (He also shanked an extra point in preseason). Other than going 2 of 4 in week one, he only attemted 2 FGs the following six weeks, so your assesment of him "only missing one FG in the first 7 weeks is not only totally wrong, but very skewed, slso. He only attemted 6 FGs in those first 7 weeks. He's attempted 10 FGs in the past 4 weeks. The point is, even with Schneck as the holder, Elam was around 66%. This is solely on Elam, not the holder, not Koenan.

Good.

I completely misremembered those stats since I had PC issues and could not access the stats. That was wrong. I wasn't playing devil's advocate but thought I saw a certain pattern. Now that I look at this again. Elam has missed 5 of 10 between 30 and 49. 4 of those were in the 30 to 39 range.

I was wondering,couldn't elam have been flagged for false start?or is that something the refs let slide?

Hmmm good point. I don't know the rules well enuff, but I have to think that is a good possibility.

Whatever the reasons, I am like many of you: just sick and tired of missing field goals. The responsibilty lies with the coaching staff to get if fixed IMHO, and I wish they would do that VERY SOON before we lose more games.

Edited by FalconFanForLife