Vel's Post Game Analysis

vel

1. DeCoud is (arguably) THE brightest spot on the defense. He is consistently giving all of his effort regardless of the situation. Lofton comes in at a close second (I’ll put him at 1b). Lofton statistically is the best overall player on the team but he can get lost sometimes but it seems like DeCoud is covering up everybody’s mistakes in the secondary. DeCoud laid a solid lick on Jacobs to give this defense the courage it needed to stop the run which they did. But our corners clearly can’t handle man-to-man duties because none of them know how to get their heads around. I learned that the first time I played corner (age:6) and I knew I couldn’t handle it so I moved to safety; but if you have played this position your ENTIRE life and get paid MILLIONS to do it, you should know how to turn your head around and squeeze a wideout to the sideline. I hope you guys are watching the Jets game and how Revis squeezes Moss to the sidelines every chance he gets. It’s not rocket science, especially not if the same things keep happening to you week-in and week-out. Grimes is scared to jam a receiver which is why they kept eating him alive with the comeback routes. If you play 5 yards off the WR and your first step is a backpedal then you are beat already. Trust your skills, but it is hard to do that when you don’t have anything to trust but your jumping ability. Houston is strictly a zone corner with man corner speed. When BVG sent the zone blitz and Houston saw the ball and knocked it down, it wasn’t a miracle, Houston was just comfortable because never had to take his eyes off the ball. We need better coaching for our corners (plus a talented one). Plus, BVG either needs to be an attacking DC or a passive DC, not in between because games like this happen. I’m not saying it was a horrendous game but it was a lot of confusion on the field and they never got settled until the end of the game when we came back. It shows how badly we miss Jerry in the middle as well as a dominant pass rusher. Abraham is not helping his case of coming back after an expired contract. Everybody knew we were gonna have growing pains and the fact that that thought is coming to fruition is what is killing everybody. Trust in the process. Not every elite team of this season has been elite, the Saints had growing pains, Colts, Steelers, Patriots even had them. Relax and hold on cuz it’s gonna be a bumpy ride.

2. The bare essentials of our team are very strong. Look at who was out this game/season:

Norwood, Turner, Douglas, Finneran, Jerry, Moore, Williams, Schneck (yea the long snapper)

And we still went to OT with a tough Giants team, losing by 3. If I had Turner/Norwood/Snelling vs this Giants team as well as Douglas and Finneran out there as options, I don’t think they would have stopped us because Finneran **** well would have caught that lay-up of a touchdown thrown to Jenkins. Plus, Mike Schneck being the long snapper might have something to do with Elam missing (Long Shot but a thought). But then add on top of that a dominant young Peria Jerry and Williams being as solid as he was, and put Moore wherever he would have been (maybe Coleman’s spot today). That is a LOT of talent on the sideline and we are still not getting blown out of the games we lose, when the opposition has clearly a more talented team on the field. That is something to be proud of. If we get 9 wins and don’t make the playoffs, I wouldn’t be upset because I already factored in the curse would be broken and our team would have another year of experience under their belts against some of the best competition in the league. The adversity we faced this season so far would have broken so many teams in this league but we stuck through it as young as we are.

3. Our team can be carried on Matt Ryan’s back. No INTs today. 40+ @ 57%. 2 TDs. I think that is a solid outing for a second year QB without his safety net in Michael Turner. Even the last drive where he went like 7 for 7 or something at one point shows that if you give Ryan plays that “WORK” (Mularkey) he can march up and down on anybody. As long as the focus of the plays you call is not on Tony G and you can get comfortable not throwing to him every time pressure comes, then you can spread a team out and march like he did. All we need is a solid O Line that can protect him like they protect Peyton, Tom, Rodgers (oops lol) but you get the point. They are starting to turn the corner even though they are 1-4 in the last five games, I think they have performed well vs teams coming off of their Byes. We played a top team in DAL and NYG coming off their byes which is tough for anybody.

4. So all in all, we have come to see then end of a 5 game stretch where our team faced every kind of regular season adversity possible and I think they handled it pretty well for such a young team. Yea there were a lot of picks but not the 18 Jay Cutler has thrown or the 14 Delhomme has thrown lmao. But even Peyton and Brees have thrown 9 ints. When a QB is just given the reigns of a team in his SECOND year and he hasn’t thrown 20 picks, then I commend him on a job well done. Ryan is averaging somewhere in the 30s in the number of attempts he throws a game. This team, lest I remind you, played the #1 defense and put up 31 points and 0 INTs. AND THEY CAME OFF THE BYE WEEK! First Five Games: 4-1 Last Five Games: 1-4. What team did you see in the second half of that Giants game?

Hats off to my Falcons and I’m looking forward a rewarding decade or so of fandom in the city of Atlanta!

1. DeCoud is (arguably) THE brightest spot on the defense. He is consistently giving all of his effort regardless of the situation. Lofton comes in at a close second (I’ll put him at 1b). Lofton statistically is the best overall player on the team but he can get lost sometimes but it seems like DeCoud is covering up everybody’s mistakes in the secondary. DeCoud laid a solid lick on Jacobs to give this defense the courage it needed to stop the run which they did. But our corners clearly can’t handle man-to-man duties because none of them know how to get their heads around. I learned that the first time I played corner (age:6) and I knew I couldn’t handle it so I moved to safety; but if you have played this position your ENTIRE life and get paid MILLIONS to do it, you should know how to turn your head around and squeeze a wideout to the sideline. I hope you guys are watching the Jets game and how Revis squeezes Moss to the sidelines every chance he gets. It’s not rocket science, especially not if the same things keep happening to you week-in and week-out. Grimes is scared to jam a receiver which is why they kept eating him alive with the comeback routes. If you play 5 yards off the WR and your first step is a backpedal then you are beat already. Trust your skills, but it is hard to do that when you don’t have anything to trust but your jumping ability. Houston is strictly a zone corner with man corner speed. When BVG sent the zone blitz and Houston saw the ball and knocked it down, it wasn’t a miracle, Houston was just comfortable because never had to take his eyes off the ball. We need better coaching for our corners (plus a talented one). Plus, BVG either needs to be an attacking DC or a passive DC, not in between because games like this happen. I’m not saying it was a horrendous game but it was a lot of confusion on the field and they never got settled until the end of the game when we came back. It shows how badly we miss Jerry in the middle as well as a dominant pass rusher. Abraham is not helping his case of coming back after an expired contract. Everybody knew we were gonna have growing pains and the fact that that thought is coming to fruition is what is killing everybody. Trust in the process. Not every elite team of this season has been elite, the Saints had growing pains, Colts, Steelers, Patriots even had them. Relax and hold on cuz it’s gonna be a bumpy ride.

2. The bare essentials of our team are very strong. Look at who was out this game/season:

Norwood, Turner, Douglas, Finneran, Jerry, Moore, Williams, Schneck (yea the long snapper)

And we still went to OT with a tough Giants team, losing by 3. If I had Turner/Norwood/Snelling vs this Giants team as well as Douglas and Finneran out there as options, I don’t think they would have stopped us because Finneran **** well would have caught that lay-up of a touchdown thrown to Jenkins. Plus, Mike Schneck being the long snapper might have something to do with Elam missing (Long Shot but a thought). But then add on top of that a dominant young Peria Jerry and Williams being as solid as he was, and put Moore wherever he would have been (maybe Coleman’s spot today). That is a LOT of talent on the sideline and we are still not getting blown out of the games we lose, when the opposition has clearly a more talented team on the field. That is something to be proud of. If we get 9 wins and don’t make the playoffs, I wouldn’t be upset because I already factored in the curse would be broken and our team would have another year of experience under their belts against some of the best competition in the league. The adversity we faced this season so far would have broken so many teams in this league but we stuck through it as young as we are.

3. Our team can be carried on Matt Ryan’s back. No INTs today. 40+ @ 57%. 2 TDs. I think that is a solid outing for a second year QB without his safety net in Michael Turner. Even the last drive where he went like 7 for 7 or something at one point shows that if you give Ryan plays that “WORK” (Mularkey) he can march up and down on anybody. As long as the focus of the plays you call is not on Tony G and you can get comfortable not throwing to him every time pressure comes, then you can spread a team out and march like he did. All we need is a solid O Line that can protect him like they protect Peyton, Tom, Rodgers (oops lol) but you get the point. They are starting to turn the corner even though they are 1-4 in the last five games, I think they have performed well vs teams coming off of their Byes. We played a top team in DAL and NYG coming off their byes which is tough for anybody.

4. So all in all, we have come to see then end of a 5 game stretch where our team faced every kind of regular season adversity possible and I think they handled it pretty well for such a young team. Yea there were a lot of picks but not the 18 Jay Cutler has thrown or the 14 Delhomme has thrown lmao. But even Peyton and Brees have thrown 9 ints. When a QB is just given the reigns of a team in his SECOND year and he hasn’t thrown 20 picks, then I commend him on a job well done. Ryan is averaging somewhere in the 30s in the number of attempts he throws a game. This team, lest I remind you, played the #1 defense and put up 31 points and 0 INTs. AND THEY CAME OFF THE BYE WEEK! First Five Games: 4-1 Last Five Games: 1-4. What team did you see in the second half of that Giants game?

Hats off to my Falcons and I’m looking forward a rewarding decade or so of fandom in the city of Atlanta!

I agree with most of this not seeing the game at all except the O-Line that one point I do take exception too. The O Line has been the one constant steading factor this whole season. The most consistent and the most malighned by us the Falcons fan base. What do you or others expect here? That´s been the one part that is most difficult to be around the back and forth fan logic. No leave the O Line alone and give them some proprs for being steady where all ortherr parts of this team this year have not. Good post othwerwise + 1.

PS: I don´t get this score system or the points system in here reminds of High school and demerits...can anyone explain it to me

ok i can give the O Line some credit to an extent. yea Ryan is either holding the ball too long or not longer enough and bailing but i feel that is because of the pockets collapsing so much in some the earlier losses that he is uneasy and anxious but he showed it late in the last game that he still has his patience

3. Our team can be carried on Matt Ryan’s back. No INTs today. 40+ @ 57%. 2 TDs. I think that is a solid outing for a second year QB without his safety net in Michael Turner. Even the last drive where he went like 7 for 7 or something at one point shows that if you give Ryan plays that “WORK” (Mularkey) he can march up and down on anybody.

Great post... but I think you should change this bit to... if you let Matt Ryan call his own plays in the no-huddle...