Anyone else feel sick when Elam kicked the game tying extra point?

Falcons23384

Seriously, if you have to feel like that about an extra point, something's not right about the kicker...I have a feeling he may not be here by the end of the season.

Yup. I had mentioned this in another thread. It is not a good feeling when you are sitting at the edge of your seat on an extra point.

I wanted the two-point conversion try for many reasons, not the least of which being what you pointed out. Fans should panic a little on 50-yard FG attempts. They should not have to panic on extra points.

He missed an extra point earlier this season :mellow:

I wanted the two-point conversion try for many reasons, not the least of which being what you pointed out. Fans should panic a little on 50-yard FG attempts. They should not have to panic on extra points.

Honestly, I was thinking the same thing. I had 0 faith that our defense was going to be able to hold them. If we made it he would be called a genius, if he missed some fans would have wanted his head.

I think I am going to make a thread about this...

Edited by ConnFalcon

Honestly, I was thinking the same thing. I had 0 faith that our defense was going to be able to hold them. If we made it he would be called a genius, if he missed some fans would have wanted his head.

I think I am going to make a thread about this...

You know, I don't blame Smitty for making the statistically "smart" choice. But I also would not have blamed him, not in the LEAST, if we had gone for it and failed.

And this is why. You had a 50% chance of winning the toss, sure, and I'm sure statistically you have a lesser chance of making a two-point conversion. But the way Ryan was playing on those two final drives, the way his eyes and whole demeanor radiated energy after Gonzalez caught that touchdown, I have SO much faith that he would have converted come h*ll or high water.

Sometimes you have to take the pulse of your team in the moment and screw the stats.

You know, I don't blame Smitty for making the statistically "smart" choice. But I also would not have blamed him, not in the LEAST, if we had gone for it and failed.

And this is why. You had a 50% chance of winning the toss, sure, and I'm sure statistically you have a lesser chance of making a two-point conversion. But the way Ryan was playing on those two final drives, the way his eyes and whole demeanor radiated energy after Gonzalez caught that touchdown, I have SO much faith that he would have converted come h*ll or high water.

Sometimes you have to take the pulse of your team in the moment and screw the stats.

The way our luck is if we would have gone for the 2 points Jenkins would have been the only one open and he would have dropped the ball

That's what I was thinking. Ryan had just marched us down the field for two touchdowns, one on the prior possession and one on the current possession. He had the momentum, the fire, the desire, all of that...and—it seemed to me—the whole offense did, too. The PAT is the safe call and that's OK but if Smith had decided to go for two, I would have been absolutely fine with the call, win or lose. The "other" Falcons curse (which is we get screwed in subtle ways, such as coin tosses) was in the back of my mind as well as the sight of having watched Eli carve up our secondary, so I actually WANTED to go for two, not play for OT. Not only that, but I would have had to call the suicide hotline (if not have to buy a new TV) if Elam had shanked the PAT and, yes, I was worried about that.

Edited by DiMiante

First Post!

I think Smith has a good pulse on and a lot of trust for his team...which is why he chose the safe route. Didja notice earlier in the game when he went for it on 4th (I think they were near the Giant's 30)...most likely because he didn't think Elam would make it from that distance? I remember at the time the announcing booth saying they would have gone for the field goal...and thinking, "haven't they watched the last three games? Smith is going for it because he knows it would be a missed field goal!" That's sad when you have to do that from the 30.

C'mon, AB! Home Depot's stock isn't doing so bad that you can't spring for a younger, stronger kicker!

I'm with some of the others... when we were 2 TDs down in the 4th I was just praying we'd come back with 2 scores and run a bootleg for the 2-pt conversion. In their house, when we were going for the tie, they were totally deflated. That was our chance. The break going into overtime was just too much time for them not to recover some of their composure and confidence. Should have stunned them into silence when we had the chance.

celtik