Large Investment, Small Returns

insight

One disturbing trend about the Falcons 2009 team is the number of players who are earning large salaries for pedestrian contributions.

This same argument could be made for past players like Keith Brooking, Lawyer Milloy and Joe Horn but clearly their leadership qualities added to there value.

This new regime seems to lack leadership and an identity on both sides of the ball.

I don't have 2009 salaries, but based on 2008 numbers here are some examples:

John Abraham - salary $6,001,920 / Sack Total 4

Micheal Jenkins - signed 4yr 20 million dollar deal / 386 receiving yards NO TD's

Jason Elam - salary $3,331,200 / Ranked 32nd in FG Accuracy

Jamaal Anderson - salary $3,874,920 / Sack Total 1

I'm sure TD is well aware of the production he is getting from players. Last year we ended up ridding ourselves of Brooking, Milloy, and Boley. Not worth what they made in 2008, or what they would get in 2009. If someone doesn't perform, they'll be on the out(Abraham included).

One disturbing trend about the Falcons 2009 team is the number of players who are earning large salaries for pedestrian contributions.

This same argument could be made for past players like Keith Brooking, Lawyer Milloy and Joe Horn but clearly their leadership qualities added to there value.

This new regime seems to lack leadership and an identity on both sides of the ball.

I don't have 2009 salaries, but based on 2008 numbers here are some examples:

John Abraham - salary $6,001,920 / Sack Total 4

Micheal Jenkins - signed 4yr 20 million dollar deal / 386 receiving yards NO TD's

Jason Elam - salary $3,331,200 / Ranked 32nd in FG Accuracy

Jamaal Anderson - salary $3,874,920 / Sack Total 1

The production of a defense lineman CANNOT solely be measured by the number of sacks he has!

The production of a defense lineman CANNOT solely be measured by the number of sacks he has!

DE's who command large salaries do so buy having the ability to pressure the QB and sack the QB.

Are you suggesting that these players are playing to the levels of there contracts?

Abe is a bargain compared to Peppers at 16 mil.Abe still gets pressure but needs help.

Peppers 16 mil is inflated because of it being a Franchise tag.

That being said, Abe has 3.5 sacks, 1 pass defended, and 23 tackles. For 6 million.

Peppers at 16 million, has 7 sacks, 3 passes defended, 4 forced fumbles, 1 int for a TD, and 29 tackles.

Yeah he's making 10 million more this year, but i'd rather have the defensive end that is having a pro bowl year.

Peppers 16 mil is inflated because of it being a Franchise tag.

That being said, Abe has 3.5 sacks, 1 pass defended, and 23 tackles. For 6 million.

Peppers at 16 million, has 7 sacks, 3 passes defended, 4 forced fumbles, 1 int for a TD, and 29 tackles.

Yeah he's making 10 million more this year, but i'd rather have the defensive end that is having a pro bowl year.

I dont know if Peppers will have Probowl numbers at that end of the year given that he is playing with a Broken Finger and wears a cast on his hand, but he is still playing better than Abe and he has a visible handicap.

That is an excuse for non-production. ABe has not performed at a level that is excpected of him and honestly neither has JA98 overall. JA98 is a below Average DE, but he has the potential to be a above average DT.

Abe is a bargain compared to Peppers at 16 mil.Abe still gets pressure but needs help.

Last Year Abe had 16.5 sacks, and should have made the Pro-bowl. His play was a critical part of us making the playoffs. This year he has disappeared in several games and no longer seems to come up with the big play when we need it.

Last Year Abe had 16.5 sacks, and should have made the Pro-bowl. His play was a critical part of us making the playoffs. This year he has disappeared in several games and no longer seems to come up with the big play when we need it.

We never knew how much we would miss Grady Jackson but you know what they say about hindsight.Plus Abe hasn't done much since Jerry went down.Abe gets the double team now.

To an extent. Anderson has actually played pretty well this year, imo. Abe has just disappeared in games. That's alot of money for what amounts to a decoy...

+1

Decoy is the truth. He is not a premier pass rusher. There was talk he would hold out this year. Glad we didn't pay him

+1

Decoy is the truth. He is not a premier pass rusher. There was talk he would hold out this year. Glad we didn't pay him

Amen to that. I remember when his name was called yesterday that I mentioned to a buddy that's the first time I've heard his name called making a play in weeks. We still have work to do up front and I don't think Abraham is the answer any more, unless someone more creative comes along to design our defenses. Mainly, I just think he's lost a step or two and just can't get it done like that anymore. Wish they would see what Sidbury can do. I think he has potential.

Great post. This is so true, we are not getting our value out of any of the players you listed. We could get more production from players making far less.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out next year- if we cut any of them.

Plus we will finally have Dog Boy's money off the books next year- that alone will let us add another high salary to the team.

I've never seen anyone fall off the map like Abraham has this year.

People have to realize that it is not just the defensive backs that are bad its the defensive line they're just not getting to the qb. I could have threw for almost 400 yards with the time Eli had in the pocket.

That's why I'm with the Ravens' mindset of defense. You send everybody it takes to make sure that QB has about 2-3 seconds to do something with the ball. It might mean getting beat downfield from time to time, but you have to be relentless in blitzing on every down you can. I'd rather be beaten long than sufffer a thousand cuts while a QB sits back there for 5-6 seconds deciding on what to do. No DB can cover that long. Until we bring in a DC who has that mentality, we'll sit through QBs having career days on us for years to come.