Looking Ahead...Shipley from Texas as #2 Receiver Next Year

Just for the record, I haven't given up on our '09 season, but I can't help but look ahead to see how we can improve our team for next year.

The very FIRST thing we need to address in the off-season is our inconsistent defense...namely our SECONDARY! Decoud and Moore look solid for the future, as starting safeties, but we need to start COMPLETELY OVER at our starting CB positions. Grimes is a solid nickel/dime CB, IMO, as he plays with tremendous heart in almost every game.

On offense, JENKINS IS DONE, IMO!!!! :angry::angry:

If he's available, I'd LOVE to draft Shipley (WR) from Texas!! Dude is SICK WITH IT! He has great hands, speed, and the ability to create separation on a CONSISTENT basis!

Roddy, H. Douglas and Shipley would be a "good look" at receiver! :D:D

What do you all think??

I don't think we'll draft a WR in this draft. WR isn't a major problem to address for our team. It's at CB and LB.

I said the same thing 2 years ago when we drafted Harry Douglas. Although he hasn't played this year, it seems like that will turn out to be a pretty good decision going forward. :)

If we draft any offensive skill position players, it'll most likely be another RB. I don't expect Norwood to get resigned.

A back-up RB shouldn't be difficult to find at all through either FA or the draft.

I live in Austin (have now for 8 years).

I was at the game Saturday night.

I turned to a buddy of mine and said just that

Shipley is going to be an amazing #2 or slot receiver in the NFL

The 2nd coming of Wes Welker...

That's EXACTLY what I project!! He might turn out to be even better. We can DEFINITELY use his skill set. For years, the Colts have been dominant on offense and, in recent years, have a added a pretty good defense. It would be nice to provide Ryan with all the weapons he needs for the future. :D

I don't think we'll draft a WR in this draft. WR isn't a major problem to address for our team. It's at CB and LB.

If we draft any offensive skill position players, it'll most likely be another RB. I don't expect Norwood to get resigned.

I think that getting HD back will help our problem at WR, but the HD injury did show us that we need more help at WR, because we cant count on Jenkins to be consistent. I actually think we will use a pick to get a WR probably in the 4th or 5th round, there is some good talent there.

To the OP - I dont think that Shipley is that much different from HD, so i mind adding him, but i dont think he is the best fit for what we need here, plus given the fact that Shipley will be a early pick probably 2nd round.

Would love to get Jordan Shipley. Not only does he have great skill as a receiver and enough size to play on the outside, as well as the slot, but when you watch him play he plays smart. He's one of those receivers that reads the field really well. If you put him on an option route he makes the right read on the defense most of the time. Plus it seems like he catches everything Colt McCoy throws his way. Will it happen, us getting him? Don't think so, but it would be nice!

If we DO draft a receiver, it wont be until the 6-7 round, if at all. We have WAY to many problems on this defense to be thinking about drafting a receiver. This is not madden.

WR is one of our problems even with HD coming back. Finneran is old, Booker has been non-existent, Jenkins is not consistent, Weems is not the answer. The HD injury proved that we lack solid depth at WR and we cant count on Jenkins, so I do consider WR a problem to our offense being successful. We need to address this in the offseason, I just wish that the Aaron Kelly project would have worked.

WR is one of our problems even with HD coming back. Finneran is old, Booker has been non-existent, Jenkins is not consistent, Weems is not the answer. The HD injury proved that we lack solid depth at WR and we cant count on Jenkins, so I do consider WR a problem to our offense being successful. We need to address this in the offseason, I just wish that the Aaron Kelly project would have worked.

I think WR is a problem as well and I am not opposed to drafting a receiver entirely, just not early. We just need soo much help on defense that it outweighs everything, at least in my mind. Maybe a FA receiver?

Would love to get Jordan Shipley. Not only does he have great skill as a receiver and enough size to play on the outside, as well as the slot, but when you watch him play he plays smart. He's one of those receivers that reads the field really well. If you put him on an option route he makes the right read on the defense most of the time. Plus it seems like he catches everything Colt McCoy throws his way. Will it happen, us getting him? Don't think so, but it would be nice!

I can tell you actually watch the games and KNOW a little something about football...UNLIKE some of my other Falcon fans!!

Shipley has been CONSISTENT over the last 2 seasons at Texas! Dude GETS OPEN...Point blank, period.

Right now, Roddy and Gonzo are the only ones that get open on a fairly consistent basis! All defenses have to do is "shade their coverage" to his side of the field and we are pretty much DONE, since our OC rarely moves him around to create mis-matches!

We'll CONTINUE to struggle without a dependable #2 that deserves attention from opposing defenses. <_<

No no no. Jordan Shipley is way overrated. He plays against terrible defenses week in and week out. If we get a WR in the 2nd round it better be A.J. Green out of UGA.

Are you serious?? Do you watch/study the PLAYERS??

AJ Green is a pretty good player, but I don't believe he's as CONSISTENT at getting open as Shipley!

I think WR is a problem as well and I am not opposed to drafting a receiver entirely, just not early. We just need soo much help on defense that it outweighs everything, at least in my mind. Maybe a FA receiver?

The problem with drafting a WR is the issue we had with Roddy. It may take the guy 2-3 years before he is really ready to play... and we need the impact sooner rather than later. I would rather pick up a free agent (like, say, Kevin Walter of the Texans) that we know can play that gamble on a draft pick.

for the last freakin time, jenkins is not going anywhere. he just renewed a rich contract this past year.

Who gives a sh!t about him receiving a "rich contract this past year"!!! Dude is GARBAGE!! He doesn't have to go anywhere, HOWEVER, he doesn't necessarily have to see the field much EITHER! He can be used as a #3 or #4 receiver, IMO. Blame the FO for wasting money on QUESTIONABLE TALENT that can very well be labled as a "ONE HIT WONDER"! <_<

Edited by BirdzEyeView

I dont think we will be using a early pick on a WR either, but we do need one, thankfully we can find WR talent in the later rounds given the influx of JR that will hopefully declare. I think we will use a 4th - 5th round pick probably compensatory pick, but if there is a WR that drops to us in the 3rd we might pull the trigger.

I can tell you actually watch the games and KNOW a little something about football...UNLIKE some of my other Falcon fans!!

Shipley has been CONSISTENT over the last 2 seasons at Texas! Dude GETS OPEN...Point blank, period.

Right now, Roddy and Gonzo are the only ones that get open on a fairly consistent basis! All defenses have to do is "shade their coverage" to his side of the field and we are pretty much DONE, since our OC rarely moves him around to create mis-matches!

We'll CONTINUE to struggle without a dependable #2 that deserves attention from opposing defenses. <_<

It is not a matter of HIm being good or not, we wont draft him simply because he is not going to last through that 2nd round at the latest and we wont be using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a WR. Just so you know HD was supposed to be used as our #2/Slot combo just like New England uses Wes Welker

i like our offense other than the terrible pass protection we give ryan at times. so if we draft offense, i would be more pleased for the pick to be on the offensive line than at wide receiver.

we have two huge problems on defense though. firstly our pass rush is nonexistent and our "best player" on the defensive line is now decrepit. i like our defensive tackles, as babineaux can come in for the big play consistently and peria jerry can fill the other spot. maybe jamaal will be better from dt after having a full offseason to devote to just that.

that leaves, however, two defensive end spots. i think kroy is a starting-caliber player. he's smart and always gives it his all and seems to make progress. that other defensive end spot, though, is very shaky. no one has come in and been a playmaker this season. i could see us drafting defensive end with our first pick and relegating tye hill to the rcb and grimes at lcb, or vice-versa. grimes and hill have shown they can make plays when the quarterback is pressured so that's why i think we should draft defensive end before corner. the corners are not great, but as long as we can get a pass rush then i don't see us needing to draft a corner in the first round.

on the safeties, i think decoud will be a star in this league with more experience and for god's sake i hope we put william moore at strong safety because erik coleman is hot garbage.

If we DO draft a receiver, it wont be until the 6-7 round, if at all. We have WAY to many problems on this defense to be thinking about drafting a receiver. This is not madden.

"This is not Madden"... :lol::lol:! Who said it was?? :huh::huh: Last I checked, you can't just "trade players around at will" even in Madden!!

Yes, we have many problems on defense, but FOR YEARS the Colts had a bad defense and a GREAT offense and STILL WON CONSISTENTLY!!

I agree TOTALLY!!