Rev's thoughts from the Giants game

Rev_Hal

Perspective. The word today is perspective. That is what we have to have in regard to where this team is and what it is capable of doing.

1. Anyone that knows me knows that I have been disappointed in Jenkins all year. The buy has been invisible all year. He has not been open and has had major drops. The one in the end zone cost is a victory. Right now, he reminds me of another Falcons WR – Dez White. This offseason, the Falcons need to get a legitimate #2 receiver, because Jenkins is showing that it is not him.

2. Elam is done. He is 108 years old and he has lost it. His 3 points he left on the field yesterday also could have won this game for us. How many games have his misses directly affected the outcome? I have to think that if there was anyone sitting at home that TD thought was any better, they would be signed by now. That is about the only reason I see Elam still on this roster.

3. The loss of Turner and that other guy… what is his name again? Oh yeah – Norwood. Having those 2 out of the game was a blow. But I thought Snelling was doing fine, and I didn’t understand why we basically bailed on establishing the run. Snelling is a baller, and he was as effective (if not more) than Turner has been for most of the season. I think that Mullarkey gave up on the run far too early, and the Falcons offense could not get into a rhythm until the second half.

4. When the time came, Ryan put this team on his shoulders and marched down the field twice in the 4th quarter for scores. I hope that someone besides me can see that all of the crying and whining about Ryan last week was ridiculous. He is not the reason we have been losing, and he is not the reason we lost yesterday.

5. We all know that Grimes is just in over his head. He has a ton of heart and plays hard, but is a Nickel or Dime back at best. But I have been holding out hope that Houston would step up and become the player that he showed flashes of as a rookie. I just don’t see him improving or progressing at all. He is playing at the same level he did as a rookie 2 years ago. Chevis Jackson was not any better – he was constantly running behind the WR that just beat him. Decoud is not a cover corner, and he showed that when he was put in that position yesterday. TD has a job this offseason – we are not going to be able to compete for a championship until the secondary is fixed.

6. I miss Abe. Remember him when he used to rush the QB and get sacks? Good times…..

7. The bottom line is that this team is not at the level we thought they were at the beginning of the year. Especially the defense. I know injuries have really hurt, but we have taken a step back from last season. I know and understand the “process”, and this is going to be a winning team for the next decade. But I just thought we were better than we actually are. We are still a playoff team, but we are 3 players and a kicker away from being a Super Bowl team.

8. The good news is that the next 3 weeks are at home, and we have a chance to get right back into the playoff hunt. Just as important to me, we have the opportunity to seriously close in on the magical 9th win.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Consecutive losses again. It's disheartening, but you are right about us having some bright spots to hang on to (ie. QB Matt Ryan). I hope that we can get a new kicker NOW and fix most of the secondary in the offseason. I agree with the Abraham assessment. Where the heck is he?

Perspective. The word today is perspective. That is what we have to have in regard to where this team is and what it is capable of doing.

1. Anyone that knows me knows that I have been disappointed in Jenkins all year. The buy has been invisible all year. He has not been open and has had major drops. The one in the end zone cost is a victory. Right now, he reminds me of another Falcons WR – Dez White. This offseason, the Falcons need to get a legitimate #2 receiver, because Jenkins is showing that it is not him.

2. Elam is done. He is 108 years old and he has lost it. His 3 points he left on the field yesterday also could have won this game for us. How many games have his misses directly affected the outcome? I have to think that if there was anyone sitting at home that TD thought was any better, they would be signed by now. That is about the only reason I see Elam still on this roster.

3. The loss of Turner and that other guy… what is his name again? Oh yeah – Norwood. Having those 2 out of the game was a blow. But I thought Snelling was doing fine, and I didn’t understand why we basically bailed on establishing the run. Snelling is a baller, and he was as effective (if not more) than Turner has been for most of the season. I think that Mullarkey gave up on the run far too early, and the Falcons offense could not get into a rhythm until the second half.

6. I miss Abe. Remember him when he used to rush the QB and get sacks? Good times…..

- i think we have a guy in Douglas when he gets healthy.

- agreed. idk what is up with him this year, but he needs to go.

- I've been saying this for a while, but Mularkey is what is wrong with this offense. his playcalling is choking this team.

- yeah, i miss him too =(

Personally I think that if the Ravens can dump a draft pick and pickup a guy off the streets to nail a 40+ yarder then we can too. Elam seems to have lost his confidence and is directing his lack of success to everything but himself. I really thought Koenen was going to punch him in the face yesterday for that look. The guy has lost his mojo and it's time to move on.

Ryan proved that he is the guy for the job. He really is the only reason we were in this game. True, he did give up a bit early on a couple of plays but he protected the ball and made some great throws! The drop Jenkins made, while WIDE OPEN, is a bit disheartening. I have seen some flashes from him but its obvious that we miss Harry Douglas!

I pray that his off season Demitroff makes some solid pickups in the defensive backfield. Two good corners and this team would be vying for the division right now!

<We are still a playoff team, but we are 3 players and a kicker away from being a Super Bowl team.>

Pretty much sums it up.

I agree with just about every point you make. Especially the <sigh>. smile.gif

Edit: Why not have Koenen do the FGs? He has done them before.

His accuracy stinks.

I pray that his off season Demitroff makes some solid pickups in the defensive backfield. Two good corners and this team would be vying for the division right now!

It can't all be done through the draft either. We are going to need to look at some FA pcikups. They don't have to be huge name free agents, but we have holes we need to plug right away.

It can't all be done through the draft either. We are going to need to look at some FA pcikups. They don't have to be huge name free agents, but we have holes we need to plug right away.

I agree, Rev. I had a feeling that we were going to take a look at Bodden. I know the guy isn't the second coming but he would have been an improvement over what we have now. I never would have thought that the loss of Brian Williams would have been so devastating to this team.

His accuracy stinks.

very true.. i remember watching koenen miss quite a few fg's a couple of years back...

and the last thing we want is someone who cant hit a fg, and give your team a chance to win...oh wait :lol: I think some of the kicking issue is on the timing.

I really dont feel THAT bad about the offensive side of the ball this week... it seems like the second half play calls were a bit better.

The defense is atrocious though. I have seen flashes of what we are trying to do, but dear god we are not there yet. it was bad.. we are not terrible against the run, but the pass is not good.. it is bad. it is really really bad.. not good... very bad.. very very bad.. but itll get better.. but for now its bad.. really bad..

Good points Rev...

We need to sign a Veteran Corner and Veteran DE and trade out of the first. Acquire 2 2nd round picks. Draft a corner and DE and we will be fine. Houston and Grimes are not getting the job done and really affecting how we are playing defense. When we had Brian Williams, it seemed like our D was playing WAY better because we could attack offenses. Now we have to play a fairly conservative D. You see how NYG put 8 in the box every play and was blitzing basically every play. They have corners who can cover. We do not. It seems like every 3rd down, the Giants ran a back shoulder fade every play or went deep and converted everytime.

We also need a #2 WR. I would love to see us sign Malcolm Floyd since he is a FA or even a Vincent Jackson but we know SD is going to resign one. That TD drop by Jenkins just reaffirmed my thought process of him being a BUST. He never comes through when it matters the most. I TRULY could see the Falcons taking a WR early in the draft. Peter King even mentioned it. We need someone opposite of White. Douglas is a pure slot WR. Thats his natural position. The Colts did the same thing when their defense is terrible, they drafted Reggie Wayne and look how that turned out for them.

If we can get a some veteran help on the defensive side of the ball in the offseason, I think we truly will go WR with the first pick...

i think we will have douglas come back in as our number 2 receiver next year. Jenkins would then be in the slot and weems would be our 4th stringer. I like what i see from weems and wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the slot receiver. i just can't see us getting a number 2 wide receiver in FA.

Hey Rev, as always, great post- all the twits that complain they get flamed for "just being real" should read your posts to see how honest critiques work. Of course, most of the people saying that are just trolls anyway.

Yeah, if Jenkins was having the year he had last year, no one would be talking about a slump for Ryan. He's cost matt about 3 TDs and 3 INTs, Douglas is really missed.

Ryan had a great second half- that kind of performance from him means the Falcons still have a shot at playoffs.

I'm hoping the foot injury that had Abraham on the injured list for 3 weeks is what's kept him so quiet, and that he heals up for the last 6 games.

Since TD has been here, he's drafted 6 secondary players in two drafts, made trades for 2 more and signed a couple of free agents- I think he knows it's a problem area. Unfortunately, both lines need work and they have to get fixed first.

What disturbed me as much as the secondary just getting beat, is being completely out of position. some of that will come from experience- the TD pass that Boss caught where Decoud got there a half-second late , for example, the next time he may react quicker, get in front of it and get the INT.

And with all that, if the Falcons hold serve on their home court and beat a couple of sub 500 teams on the road, they're still in the playoffs.

What disturbed me as much as the secondary just getting beat, is being completely out of position. some of that will come from experience- the TD pass that Boss caught where Decoud got there a half-second late , for example, the next time he may react quicker, get in front of it and get the INT.

Houston is in his third year of starting. If he is not getting it now, I doubt he ever will. Grimes is a nice guy, but just doesn't seem to have the skill set needed to be a CB in the NFL. He got beat repeatedly yesterday.

And some of it is either horrible scheming or people way out of position. How do we leave the TE opend all day? There was never anyone within 10 yards of him. That was probalby a linebacker out of position or a bad defenseive call, but that was killing us.

for the most part I agree

heres the think about Elam that I am not getting - on both of his misses (both huge misses) in teh past two games he did that stutter step thing - why? it occurs to me we need a new holder and/or snapper as much as we need a new kicker - either way, we can have no more missed field goals the rest of the year

I still think we can get to 10-6 - what I do not know is if that will be enough for the playoffs

Yesterday was a heart breaker. I'm very proud of Ryan for leading us down the field twice in the 4th on scoring drives, and I'm very proud of Snelling for pounding the rock in Turner's absence. I think we need to get whatever we can for Norwood in the offseason, let him hang out on some other team's trainers table most of the season and draft a back to develop behind Turner and Snelling (Ben Tate or Dexter McCluster).

After two seasons ago, aka the Bad 'Ol Days, there were several games we maybe could have won had we had an actual FG kicker. Elam was brought in last year to win those close games for us. He can no longer do that, and must be let go. Nothing else even needs to be said there.

We need to draft or sign a #2 receiver. Jenkins is not earning his current paycheck. I am excited to get Douglas back next year though.

The defense . . . meh. We HAVE to sign at the very worst a mid-level corner in FA, but we NEED to pursue a top-flight corner. I know that's not Dimitroff's MO, but he can get over himself. The draft will NOT fix our secondary. Even if we take a CB in the first, he's going to be a rookie and fixes nothing. We need a veteran presence (yes, we have B. Williams, but after shredding his knee and being on the wrong side of 30 I don't know what else he can give to the D). I love Grimes effort, but like others have noted he's a dime, maybe a nickel. Houston is done. All the talent in the world, but he just doesn't get it. Oh well.

The bright spot on the defense - Kroy Bierman. Whether he's out there on ST running down kick returners or causing havoc in the backfield, this kid is a gamer. I'm calling it now, he has the potential to be a Allen/Kampman type player for us. Abe no longer has "it" and we need to develop Sidbury accordingly.

Houston is in his third year of starting. If he is not getting it now, I doubt he ever will. Grimes is a nice guy, but just doesn't seem to have the skill set needed to be a CB in the NFL. He got beat repeatedly yesterday.

And some of it is either horrible scheming or people way out of position. How do we leave the TE opend all day? There was never anyone within 10 yards of him. That was probalby a linebacker out of position or a bad defenseive call, but that was killing us.

I agree, I think Grimes would be a great nickle back going up against slot receivers. But a pass rush would help those guys out immensely.

for the most part I agree

heres the think about Elam that I am not getting - on both of his misses (both huge misses) in teh past two games he did that stutter step thing - why? it occurs to me we need a new holder and/or snapper as much as we need a new kicker - either way, we can have no more missed field goals the rest of the year

I still think we can get to 10-6 - what I do not know is if that will be enough for the playoffs

People were talking about his stutter step last week. He blamed it on timing. It's Elam, no one else. What i don't understand is how other teams,i.e. colts, raven, etc., have picked up decent kickers to fill rosters and we can't seem to find one. Elam has had the chance to do his part for this team and he screwed up. Cut him.

People were talking about his stutter step last week. He blamed it on timing. It's Elam, no one else. What i don't understand is how other teams,i.e. colts, raven, etc., have picked up decent kickers to fill rosters and we can't seem to find one. Elam has had the chance to do his part for this team and he screwed up. Cut him.

The coaching staff must see somethign we dont. That is the only reason I can think of for Elam to still be on the roster. I'm not trying to be harsh, but he has consistantly put us in bad positions, and directly cost us at least 1 game.

The coaching staff must see somethign we dont. That is the only reason I can think of for Elam to still be on the roster. I'm not trying to be harsh, but he has consistantly put us in bad positions, and directly cost us at least 1 game.

Yup. I am not one to start calling for players heads, but this one is just getting out of hand. Either he is old and done, or has a lingering injury. Either way we need to get a replacment. It is not good to actually be scared when my kicker is kicking an extra point...