Despite our record, several reasons to be optimistic for the rest of the season

1: Of the 6 games we have left, 4 are at home

2: Our next 3 games are at home

3: We only play 2 teams with a winning record over the rest of the season, both of which are at home

4: We are 11-1 at home since the Smith/Ryan/Turner combination came in the door at the beginning of the '08 season

5: Ryan showed real flashes of getting back into form in the second half of today's game

6: We will be much better on the ground once Turner (and potentially Norwood) come back from injuries. No knock on Snelling - just that 2/3 RB's is better than 1...

1: Of the 6 games we have left, 4 are at home

2: Our next 3 games are at home

3: We only play 2 teams with a winning record over the rest of the season, both of which are at home

4: We are 11-1 at home since the Smith/Ryan/Turner combination came in the door at the beginning of the '08 season

5: Ryan showed real flashes of getting back into form in the second half of today's game

6: We will be much better on the ground once Turner (and potentially Norwood) come back from injuries. No knock on Snelling - just that 2/3 RB's is better than 1...

CB'S have to be fixed

Switch up Jackson and Owens. I don't like Jackson's speed to play outside.

I actually think rotating them would be best. Owens is a mini-me CB like Grimes (he's almost exactly the same height) but he's much, much more physical. I would love to see Chevis on the bigger, more physical wideouts while the Owens takes the smaller, quicker WRs.

Oh, what a dream. Too bad BVG won't do this to save his life. :angry:

Tye Hill just isn't a good player. He struggled badly against Carolina, hence why he got benched. The annoying thing is Houston made as many good plays as bad plays today but people won't see that. Same for Grimes. Both guys actually had good coverage ... unfortunately Eli Manning made some utterly brilliant throws that just can't be defensed if the pass rush doesn't get to him in time. We blitzed a fair bit but we didn't get pressure with the blitz which makes it really tough for your cornerbacks.

The encouraging thing, as the commentator said, is you can teach people to turn their heads around but its a lot harder to get them in tight coverage which we had for a lot of the game. Our unit is young and you see some of the plays Houston made today, and how tight his coverage was and I see improvement ... I see the tools to work with. But cornerback is a tough position and it takes time. Asomugha wasn't a star until however many years in the league. I see players developing, making some mistakes, but developing.

We blitzed too much without getting pressure, that a concern for me today, especially after we started the game getting pressure with 4. It should be noted that the touchdowns came against the linebackers and safeties(or at least I remember them doing so). We could use a corner, but I wonder if an upgrade on Peterson might be better (Peterson may have intangibles but he's not the player he once was and is probably better suited to playing the MIKE role)

Tye Hill just isn't a good player. He struggled badly against Carolina, hence why he got benched. The annoying thing is Houston made as many good plays as bad plays today but people won't see that. Same for Grimes. Both guys actually had good coverage ... unfortunately Eli Manning made some utterly brilliant throws that just can't be defensed if the pass rush doesn't get to him in time. We blitzed a fair bit but we didn't get pressure with the blitz which makes it really tough for your cornerbacks.

The encouraging thing, as the commentator said, is you can teach people to turn their heads around but its a lot harder to get them in tight coverage which we had for a lot of the game. Our unit is young and you see some of the plays Houston made today, and how tight his coverage was and I see improvement ... I see the tools to work with. But cornerback is a tough position and it takes time. Asomugha wasn't a star until however many years in the league. I see players developing, making some mistakes, but developing.

We blitzed too much without getting pressure, that a concern for me today, especially after we started the game getting pressure with 4. It should be noted that the touchdowns came against the linebackers and safeties(or at least I remember them doing so). We could use a corner, but I wonder if an upgrade on Peterson might be better (Peterson may have intangibles but he's not the player he once was and is probably better suited to playing the MIKE role)

First of all, Hill was benched not because of his coverage. It was because of him missing tackles. That's been a knock on him since, well, forever. He's not a very physical corner. And that's precisely why Spags got rid of him in St. Louis. But he's always been a good cover guy. Just had a few bad plays against Carolina, mostly on poor tackling ability. His coverage was only bad on one play that I can recall, with Delhomme making a couple of really good passes on the others. Isn't that the excuse you are using for Houston? Why isn't the same standard used to defend Hill. Even still, Hill's much better than any of our other guys if healthy (and that's a big if with him).

Secondly, where are these "good plays" by Houston you are talking about? Good for the G-men, maybe. But Houston stunk up the joint today all game long. Hill looked bad for two drives versus Carolina. Houston was trash for 4 1/2 quarters today.

Lastly, ball skills can not be coached. I repeat - ball skills can not be coached. I wish people would start to understand this. Houston has always struggled to get his head around. Even in college, he only had a couple of pick for his entire career. He has no ball skills. Notta. Zero. Zilch. He's never had them, and he never will. The quicker BVG realizes this, the better off our secondary will be.