I wonder what the percentages are about OT and the coin toss

The way our corners played all day today I pretty much knew we were done for as soon as the Giants won the OT toss but it got me to thinking about the winning percentage of teams that win the toss vs. that of the ones that lose it.

I would think the percentage of wins would weigh heavily in favor of the team that won the toss and took the ball first. It almost doesn't seem exactly fair but I don't know another way to do OT.

The college system of deciding games is way too long and drawn out.

The way our corners played all day today I pretty much knew we were done for as soon as the Giants won the OT toss but it got me to thinking about the winning percentage of teams that win the toss vs. that of the ones that lose it.

I would think the percentage of wins would weigh heavily in favor of the team that won the toss and took the ball first. It almost doesn't seem exactly fair but I don't know another way to do OT.

The college system of deciding games is way too long and drawn out.

Somebody has already researched this - you will be surprised at how little difference it makes:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_percent_of_teams_that_win_the_coin_toss_win_in_overtime_in_the_NFL