Is Emmitt Thomas the Problem?

We drafted a physical beast in Houston. We drafted two pretty physically gifted players in Owens and Jackson. We got a physical FA in Grimes.

All of these guys have only ever been coached by Thomas and they all show some of the same tendencies out there (same types of blown coverage, never turn their heads, etc).

Meanwhile when we bring in a FA like Foxworth and Williams who were coached by others they come in and look spectacular next to our guys.

I know Thomas is a legend for us and has been around a while, but maybe he isn't getting the job done with our draftees.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm for givin' HILL and OWENS the SAME time on the field that the corners that have NOT gotten it done have had!!!! :angry:

sigh.................can Owens be as bad as Houston?? We've seen the same thing from this guy for 3 years now..............3. He is not going to change it obvious he isn't going to get better. How did he go from park ball(if he played)to highschool,thru college and into the pros without learning how to look for the ball, or have any resemblance of ball awarness? Didn't Mckay take a receiver upto Arkansas to evaluate this guy? What was he looking at? Mckay hit some and missed some but this is a clear wiff. Finally if your vet plays like a rookie then we should play the guy who actually is a rookie! Am i being irrational............anybody!!

lol since when has tye hill looked spectacular??? he had the ball bounce into his hands once and took it to the house, but other than that he's been fairly pedestrian.

When did I say anything about Hill looking good? He was coached by the Rams and then by Thomas so he falls right into my questioning of our secondary staff.

I don't know if Emmitt is the problem or not, but I cannot deny that his name did float through my mind today concerning Chris Houston.

Can he not teach that dude to turn his head? Why does he put up with that bad technique from him?

Houston stays with all receivers but plays like he has a neck brace on. If he cannot learn let him sit. BTY if he and grimes were not pulled today then how bad is owen and hill

i'm with u. We had a great young DeAngelo Hall but he never learned the ends and outs of the game and he couldn't get by on athletic ability anymore. so he regressed from top 5 CB in the league to anything but. besides him being recognized for what he did as a player himself i've yet to see any improvement from our own DB's under his coaching while he was in charge of the secondary.

I believe it's a coaching issue--because all of our DBs play the man and never play the ball. I bet if we put Houston in the Raven's system he would look like an entirely different corner. I watched how the Ravens teach their DBs to play the receiver and it's nothing like how our CBs play the receiver. I use to just think it was Houston, but not anymore.

For all the hype, I've never been that impressed with him as either a gameday coach or a developer of talent. Since Thomas got here, I can't think of any corner that we've had that has gotten better than he was when we first acquired him...

Amen...and Alvin Reynolds must not be any better.

Alvin R. This man is the secondary coach BTW

Thomas in the secondary coach though and was in charge of the DB;s long before Reynolds got here. This is only his 2nd year. We've had DB development problems for years! If Hall would have ever developed instead of getting by on athletic ability he'd be the best CB in the league by now, or atleast top 3.

For all the hype, I've never been that impressed with him as either a gameday coach or a developer of talent. Since Thomas got here, I can't think of any corner that we've had that has gotten better than he was when we first acquired him...

Exactly, I know Houston has had some pretty bad days. But he is physically talented on all levels, and according to the reports he works very hard at practice.

It seems like Thomas hasn't taught them anything on timing. Once you have taken so many steps it's time to turn the head and I can't imagine Houston is so dumb that he never does. I think he's coached not to.

Exactly, I know Houston has had some pretty bad days. But he is physically talented on all levels, and according to the reports he works very hard at practice.

It seems like Thomas hasn't taught them anything on timing. Once you have taken so many steps it's time to turn the head and I can't imagine Houston is so dumb that he never does. I think he's coached not to.

I was thinking the same thing. After watching Houston chase a receiver half way across the field you gotta know eventually you need to start playing the ball.

I think this is a fair question...the corners have talent but the only one that truly shows it at times is Grimes and he's so limited with his physical size/stature. Someone needs to step up and take responsibility for how poorly this secondary is playing.

I agree. I think we only kept him since the players love him and he brought some stability to the 07 team, when he took over from Petrino

• 1 month later...

We drafted a physical beast in Houston. We drafted two pretty physically gifted players in Owens and Jackson. We got a physical FA in Grimes.

All of these guys have only ever been coached by Thomas and they all show some of the same tendencies out there (same types of blown coverage, never turn their heads, etc).

Meanwhile when we bring in a FA like Foxworth and Williams who were coached by others they come in and look spectacular next to our guys.

I know Thomas is a legend for us and has been around a while, but maybe he isn't getting the job done with our draftees.

If this seasons debacle can be attributed to a secondary coach, this franchise is worse off than I could have imagined. Talk about not having the fortitude of tissue paper. If the defensive coordinator is the problem, you can fix that and expect things to fall into place behind him.

If a secondary coach can corrupt and bankrupt an entire defense/season, then this franchise is truly unhinged from every imaginable angle.

If this seasons debacle can be attributed to a secondary coach, this franchise is worse off than I could have imagined. Talk about not having the fortitude of tissue paper. If the defensive coordinator is the problem, you can fix that and expect things to fall into place behind him.

If a secondary coach can corrupt and bankrupt an entire defense/season, then this franchise is truly unhinged from every imaginable angle.

Corner back is not an easy position to play and its even harder to draft a good one. For every great corner there are a hundred scrubs. I think that the secondary has some discipline issues. Houston exhibits bad technique. I think he probably always did, but got away with it for years because he is such an athlete. But that will get exposed in the pro's. Maybe Emmet is doing a top notch job, but we have bricks for corners?

I believe it's a coaching issue--because all of our DBs play the man and never play the ball. I bet if we put Houston in the Raven's system he would look like an entirely different corner. I watched how the Ravens teach their DBs to play the receiver and it's nothing like how our CBs play the receiver. I use to just think it was Houston, but not anymore.

amen. just look at domonique foxworth

You can't blame Thomas for someone who refuses to locate the ball in coverage (Houston) and someone who has the heart of a Lion but, the size of a mouse (Grimes).

News flash.

They just blamed Thomas.

All the money went towards offense. They let go of the guy who's unit got no attention from front office. Who determines starters anyway? Probably not Thomas. Whoever decided to start Houston is the one that should have been fired.