Didnt ALL of us know our secondary was trash going into this preseason?

Andre5000

What made this staff think we could get by with a bunch of guys with ZERO BALL SKILLS? We all wondered why we didnt sign anyone in the offseason.. We made a last ditch effort with Brian Williamsd and Tye Hill.. Too little too late.. We all knew this was our achilles heal.. Well everyone but the Falcons staff..

What made this staff think we could get by with a bunch of guys with ZERO BALL SKILLS? We all wondered why we didnt sign anyone in the offseason.. We made a last ditch effort with Brian Williamsd and Tye Hill.. Too little too late.. We all knew this was our achilles heal.. Well everyone but the Falcons staff..

We'll the CBs are Junk, the safties are salvageable, they don't get scorched the CBs on the other hand, SUCK. :P I am so tired of watching Houston make dumb plays its sorry. :(

I have no clue on what the front office or Dimitroff was thinking with the secondary. His specialty is the secondary and for some reason he feels he needs to hold on to Houston and Grimes. Get rid of both of them already. Its just embarrassing to see those guys get whipped every game.

The Saints just signed Chris McCallister.. i dont know why we didnt.. ANYBODY is better than what we have.. Those guys are fast but they have zero play making ability.

Anyone think is may be Emmit Thomas's fault? He has been the secondary coach since Houston, Jackson, Owens and Grimes both came on the team. Both guy's are pretty athletic but possibly poorly coached by the position coach.

I don't think it's coincidence that our FA corners came from good coaching and played better than more physically gifted players.

Anyone think is may be Emmit Thomas's fault? He has been the secondary coach since Houston, Jackson, Owens and Grimes both came on the team. Both guy's are pretty athletic but possibly poorly coached by the position coach.

I don't think it's coincidence that our FA corners came from good coaching and played better than more physically gifted players.

You don't wanna say anything bad about Hall of Fame Emmit Thomas... How come he hasn't been able to groom CB's.

Houston -- He makes one or two good play in whole game and celebrates like Shut down Corner

Grimes... He can't cover 2 years old kid

Tye Hill -- I've no idea why are we giving so much chances to Houston or Grimes.. at least let him finish whole game...

C.Owens.. WTH is he?

Van Gorder sux as well IMO...

You don't wanna say anything bad about Hall of Fame Emmit Thomas... How come he hasn't been able to groom CB's.

Houston -- He makes one or two good play in whole game and celebrates like Shut down Corner

Grimes... He can't cover 2 years old kid

Tye Hill -- I've no idea why are we giving so much chances to Houston or Grimes.. at least let him finish whole game...

C.Owens.. WTH is he?

... haven't seen Houston make a play since wk 2, yet Grimes can't cover??? Isn't he leading our CB's in INT's? and tied with Decoud in leading the team... yeeeeeaaaah....

We were going after him early in the game and D had some success. But We let him shred our secondary later on.. that was killing.. Why the **** would stop it when it's working.

I've been wondering this for a few weeks. When our defense sends the pressure, we have good success, but when BVG drops folks back and only sends three or four, we are getting ripped apart. I just get to feeling like that line in Remember the Titans. "We Blitz all night long!"

I'm not saying our secondary has loads of talent, but I disagree that we have a bunch of guys with zero balls skills. We have only one of those...Houston.

As for the other, well, they all have weaknesses:

Grimes - Good coverage and ball skills, but lacks height and physicality

Jackson - Great ball skills and short area burst (proto cover-2 guy), but lacks vertical speed and experience

Hill - Great ball skills and coverage speed, but takes chances and lacks physicality and durability

Owens - Good ball skills and physicality, but lacks height and experience

Like I said, I'm not trying to defend these other players other than to say they all have some degree of ball skills.

There are alot of places on the field that a team canget by with youngsters starting, but the defensive backfield isn't one of them, imo. Give me the 'wiley vet' any day over some kid with tons of athletic ability and no feel for playing NFL pass coverage. I was on board with letting Milloy go. He just didn't have any speed left, imo. But I figured we would reload with vets rather than relying on kids to do the job. It has been hurting us this year.

But, even with the awful play of our DBs, this team still lost most of its games on the offensive side of the ball. The defense repeatedly put this team in a position to win games, and whether it has been our kicker blowing easy FGs, our receivers dropping easy balls, or our QB's 2nd year struggles, the D cant' really be blamed for our losses.

In NE it was a tight game most of the way. Our offense couldn't get going, and then our ST's failed us. In New Orleans, had our kicker hit the FGs, the outcome could've easily been different. Same for the Carolina and Giants games, though Jenkins is just as guilty in that one for dropping an easy TD which would've been the game winner as itturned out. The only game that our D just flat gave it away was in Dallas.

So, while I think we all knew that the D was the weak link on our team this year, it hasn't been the reason we find ourselves at .500 2/3 of the way through the season.