PETER KING on Matt Ryan

Under Pressure

Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta

You know the old quarterback line: "The quarterback gets too much credit when you win, and too much blame when you lose." Most often, I buy it. But Ryan's getting bashed a little too much for my taste in the Falcons' precipitous slide, seeing that he's still put up 22 points a game in Atlanta's 1-3 skid.

But he's also not seeing the field as well, and part of being a great quarterback is finding a way to extend drives to keep a poor defense off the field. And make no mistake about it: The Atlanta defense has slid since a solid 4-1 start.

I also think as much as Ryan's gained with the addition of tight end Tony Gonzalez, he's lost with the subtraction of slot receiver Harry Douglas, who was a revelation as a rookie last year, as Ryan was. I think he needs to be checking down more, particularly if Michael Turner's out this week with his ankle injury. It's early in his career to have the weight of the team on your shoulders, but that's exactly what Ryan will feel Sunday in New Jersey.

Checking down more? That is 99 percent of what I see us doing.

This. What Ryan's problem is (other than having happy feet and throwing the ball away far too many times) his inability to look past Gonzo to find another target. He's simply trying to find the TE far too much instead of checking to see if White or Jenkins is open then checking down to the TE.

I think Weems will add the speed that we're missing at the slot...

He'll make a great target for Ryan to check down to when Gonzalez is being double teamed. Once teams begin focusing in on him, it could open up better opportunities for Jenkins and Booker.

A good read. Peter King is right though Ryan is missing Douglas and Jenkins hasn't played that well this season either.

Because teams can easily drop six in the backfield on us...part of it is scheme too. Mularkey needs to draw up some better routes to expose our opponents' coverages. Slants, curls, etc. can keep them honest when they try to drop that many back...it's one reason why Turner has had three consecutive 100+ yard games...teams are scheming to stop Ryan now. IMO, we don't need to be an explosive offense, but an effective one, ****, Ryan can dink and dunk it all day as long as it ends in seven.

could'nt agree more about impact of loss of douglas. also agree that ryan could check down more, but the biggest problem i see is that he is throwing into double coverage and not seeing a more open option. he needs to stop throwing to guys that are bracketed over/under. also micheal jenkins sucks, he has the hands of a cross eyed dyslexic. i crossed him off my draft list after his piss poor sr bowl, and i would not have re-signed him. i want to find a true #2 to help roddy and cut jenkins as soon as his contract allows it. ryan needs a RB for 3rd downs that can run and recieve and i like ben tate in rd 3 for that very reason. if we cant get a WR then atleast get a TE that can be the #2 TE and take over for gonzalez when he is done. peele is a keeper as #3, zinger is a goner.

Our "creativity" is very lacking when it comes to our offensive play calling.

If I see that quarterback waggle, or roll-out to the right sideline again tomorrow I swear I might take hostages at an Arby's.

I've been wondering about the offensive play calling too. Most times it has seemed fairly obvious to me what is coming. I wonder if this has anything to do with the injuries to Norwood and Douglas. Both of these guys are so explosive that they can cause a defense fits. Without them, nothing against the other players, but defenses have been able to focus on coverage of Roddy and Tony on passing downs and key on Turner or Snelling on the running downs. Also, from the packages we've been sending on the field, its been pretty easy to determine run or pass lately.

And all that being said...if Elam weren't going through this funk, the Falcons should still be 7-2.

I think Weems will add the speed that we're missing at the slot...

He'll make a great target for Ryan to check down to when Gonzalez is being double teamed. Once teams begin focusing in on him, it could open up better opportunities for Jenkins and Booker.

So let me get this straight.. You want Gonzo, Jenkins, Booker, Weems, and White all on the field at once? What about RB?