Why do some of you think we should draft a RB early?

This isn't a personal attack on anyone; I am just curious as to why some people think we should draft a RB in the first round of the draft. We have a top 3 back in Turner, Snelling and Norwood. Now to be honest I don't know if Norwood is going to be here next year but I'm sure Snelling will be.

I understand that this is a league now where all teams pretty much have 2 running backs that take alot of carries. But, we have so many holes on the defense that taking a RB in the first round just seems moronic. We need to get a CB and LB before we even think about a backup running back. (I think we also need to get a veteran corner in FA as well because a rookie won't make an immediate impact.)

I am not opposed to drafting a RB, but not before the 4th round.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on this to help me understand.

Edited by ConnFalcon
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd definitely take a look in the early rounds due to Norwood's injury issues. You are right about this becoming a 2 back league. I love Norwood's explosiveness but it doesn't do the team much good if he's in the training room more than on the football field. Heck the Cowboys have THREE quality backs on their roster. I think Snelling is solid but he doesn't give you that explosive element Norwood and Turner do.

I do agree that we need to sign some veteran FA on defense as well. But you build through the draft. Teams want to stay young, and fast.

But why take another CB in the draft. We have youth on the defensive side of the ball. We get back Jerry and Moore next year. We just need to get more explosive on the offensive side of the ball. Thats why I think we should address that via the draft.

Being a GM is all about resource management.

Spending a 1st rounder on a RB when that is arguably our strongest position would be ridiculous.

A third rounder? Maybe.

A fourth rounder? Sure, that would make sense, a 3rd down type back who falls for lack of size.

But anything higher would be silly. Besides, without a new CBA Norwood will be back as an RFA on the cheap.

I say we either go OLB or CB in the 1st round, with the next pick being one of the previous mentioned and DE. Things we can look at on offense is offensive line depth(and maybe a replacement LG), a potential Norwood type player if we want to replace him(since he seems to have a serious injury bug), and maybe a speedster WR to work on. A kicker via UFA, additional CBs, a young guy to groom at C, and a mauler TE with okay hands is also worth checking out.

On offense next year I see us working with Roddy, Douglas, and bring in Jenkins as the outside WR on 3+WR sets with Douglas taking the slot role.

Dude, Talent is talent..CJ Spiller can do so much for this team and truthfully, in the nfl, whos to say Turner is not built to carry the load from now on out. I say we take a WR with the first pick (depending on who is there) but we have to get more explosive on the offensive side of the ball

It won't matter what he does if teams are putting up 30+ points against our defense a game.

Dude, a WR for the first pick? I think you play way to much madden. We already have a very good offense. A vet WR in FA may do that trick, but NOT with the #1 pick. You don't seem to understand that you need to be strong on both sides of the ball to be succsesful. Our offense is our strong point, now we have to help the D.

This isn't a personal attack on anyone; I am just curious as to why some people think we should draft a RB in the first round of the draft. We have a top 3 back in Turner, Snelling and Norwood. Now to be honest I don't know if Norwood is going to be here next year but I'm sure Snelling will be.

I understand that this is a league now where all teams pretty much have 2 running backs that take alot of carries. But, we have so many holes on the defense that taking a RB in the first round just seems moronic. We need to get a CB and LB before we even think about a backup running back. (I think we also need to get a veteran corner in FA as well because a rookie won't make an immediate impact.)

I am not opposed to drafting a RB, but not before the 4th round.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on this to help me understand.

We dont have to get a 1st or 2nd rounder, but with Norwood likely walking into free agnecy and Turner not getting any younger (will be 28 in the offseason), I think we have to get a very nice developmental RB in 3rd round that can start to learn the system and play behind Snelling/Turner. Snelling has definitely taken Norwood's spot and I think he may even share snaps with Turner next year or late this season if they can stay helathy at the same time respectively. We really need a Felix Jones/Johnathan Stewart type back who can catch out of the backfield.

Taking a WR in the first round is idiotic every time. I don't care how good they were in College or how good they end up in the NFL. But on that note, I know Ryan has been inaccurate at times, but if Jenkins does not step his game up and make some clutch plays like last year, with Douglas back, Dimitroff should consider shopping Jenkins for a 3-4th round pick or a nice young tall reciever.

I say we either go OLB or CB in the 1st round, with the next pick being one of the previous mentioned and DE. Things we can look at on offense is offensive line depth(and maybe a replacement LG), a potential Norwood type player if we want to replace him(since he seems to have a serious injury bug), and maybe a speedster WR to work on. A kicker via UFA, additional CBs, a young guy to groom at C, and a mauler TE with okay hands is also worth checking out.

On offense next year I see us working with Roddy, Douglas, and bring in Jenkins as the outside WR on 3+WR sets with Douglas taking the slot role.

I think we either go DE or OT in the 1st. I can see us finally spending some money on a FA CB this offseason and also drafting a CB in middle rounds.