NFL vs. Tailgaters.

NFL vs. unruly fans: League out to protect game day experience

USA Today article.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-11-18-1a-cover-nfl-fans_N.htm

----------------------------------

For many fans, tailgating is as much a part of the game experience as the game itself. For more than a few, maybe even more so than the game. Putting added restrictions on tailgating may well be the final indignity visited on many long-term season ticket holders.

Some see this as a conspiracy to limit the time to tailgate, restrict the time consume food and beverages, and therefore increase sales at the concessions. I, for one, wouldn't put it past the NFL management groups to think like that.

As for DUI checkpoints outside the stadiums after games: Naw . . . that won't cause any problems.

Considering I arrived at the Sunday night game 5 hours early and Dantanna's already had a 4 hour wait that is ridiculous to limit it to 3 1/2 hours. I know there are plenty of people who travel long distances and make a day of it starting with a breakfast buffet. I was unaware that it is not possible to get drunk in less than 3 1/2 hours. Their intentions are good but the method of going about it is ineffective.

Seems like the NFL has become the "No Fun League", deciding how long you can/should drink and how long it might take for anyone to become a drunken disorderly problem. Regardless of when you begin your tailgate fun, it's each persons responsibility to maintain their composure and pace themselves regarding their consumption of alcohol. This holds true for every party, college game, and occasion where people enjoy themselves away from home and have a drink or two. If you do drink to excess and can't drive, or become a behavior problem, you are subject to the consequences of your actions: including arrest and jail.

If a fan is drunk and disruptive at the game, or in a public venue or parking lot before/after the game they should be subject to arrest. If the drunk and disruptive fan is a STH, they should face the possibility of losing their season tickets.

NFL teams should always have enough law enforcement people around to watch for obviously drunk and disorderly fans, before, during and after the game, for the protection of the drunk and for the protection of the rest of us. The potential arrest of fans is certainly an uncomfortable position for the teams; however, the team is hosting an event that promotes having fun and drinking--therefore they should take more active responsibility for having enough law enforcement around to maintain safety and order.

What type of unrulyness are they referring to?

There's some pretty bad stuff that goes on at some tailgates, lets just leave it at this, I've seen illegal gambling and people blitzed out of their mind drunk at several NFC East stadiums. Those people have a pretty good potential for ruining quite a bit of fun trying to be had by other fans both of the home team and visiting.

There's some pretty bad stuff that goes on at some tailgates, lets just leave it at this, I've seen illegal gambling and people blitzed out of their mind drunk at several NFC East stadiums. Those people have a pretty good potential for ruining quite a bit of fun trying to be had by other fans both of the home team and visiting.

I believe there was an RV running prostitutes from Tampa outside of the GA Dome a few years back. In my 15 years of tailgating I haven't really seen a problem at least during the 1PM games.

Seems like the NFL has become the "No Fun League", deciding how long you can/should drink and how long it might take for anyone to become a drunken disorderly problem. Regardless of when you begin your tailgate fun, it's each persons responsibility to maintain their composure and pace themselves regarding their consumption of alcohol. This holds true for every party, college game, and occasion where people enjoy themselves away from home and have a drink or two. If you do drink to excess and can't drive, or become a behavior problem, you are subject to the consequences of your actions: including arrest and jail.

If a fan is drunk and disruptive at the game, or in a public venue or parking lot before/after the game they should be subject to arrest. If the drunk and disruptive fan is a STH, they should face the possibility of losing their season tickets.

Here here well said. I get SO IRRITATED with these attempts to regulate behavior on such a general scale. I don't see any "unruly" behavior when I go to games. Deal with the individuals who are causing problems, but don't go trying to overreact by dealing a death blow to one of the most sacred traditions in the NFL.

Goodell and his corporate buffoons better get off their high horse, and come crashing back to the realities of the REAL WORLD before they lose their fanbase at games. I personally will not tolerate being treated like some idiot because of a few "unruly" fans. I like my beer, and I know how to behave like an adult when consuming it.

But I can just as well sit at home before I submit to being treated like some idiot adolescent from the corporate clowns at the NFL front office.

NFL teams should always have enough law enforcement people around to watch for obviously drunk and disorderly fans, before, during and after the game, for the protection of the drunk and for the protection of the rest of us. The potential arrest of fans is certainly an uncomfortable position for the teams; however, the team is hosting an event that promotes having fun and drinking--therefore they should take more active responsibility for having enough law enforcement around to maintain safety and order.

One good thing about the Ga Dome is that since it's downtown the various parking areas are spread out so the Falcons can't necessarily control all of them.... as opposed to newer stadiums where all/most of the parking is on the property.

You are right, really no chance they could do anything in Atlanta. Me and my buddy ate over at Ted's Montana Grill before the last game, and there were people tailgating over there. I think we were nearly a mile away from the stadium. How are they going to shut down tailgating a mile away? No chance.

The NFL's greed to take all our $$$ knows no boundaries.

Fortunately I wasn't buying those overpriced beers anyway! B)

I'm not goint to lie, I had a bunch of those beers at the last game....but my buddies paid for all of them. I had about 5 of them and I couldn't even tell you how much they cost.

You know what this will result in, more people "pre-gaming" at home, meaning they'll already be tipsy on their way to the parking lots = NOT GOOD. :o

What's a few accidents or even traffic deaths compared to the revenue of selling an extra 1,000 or so beers at the stadium.

You obviously don't have the best interests of the owners . . . uh, team at heart.

It will never see the light of day. It's a good idea to LOOK like you want to help out with unruly fans or what not, but cities like Pittsburgh would RIOT. Those people show up in the lots 1-3 days in advance and basically camp out there for days. Add in that they have no mass transit system and it would be a major disaster.

One thing people need to learn is that taking children to events like this require a certain amount of acceptance. There's going to be drinking and swearing going on. Quit trying to shield children from every little thing and just accept that they may hear the F-word once in a while. It's healthy.

And just an aside...the cities of Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, Baltimore, New York and Boston will never accept this stuff and it would be business as usual. I promise you that.

You are right, really no chance they could do anything in Atlanta. Me and my buddy ate over at Ted's Montana Grill before the last game, and there were people tailgating over there. I think we were nearly a mile away from the stadium. How are they going to shut down tailgating a mile away? No chance.

I tailgate/park a good ways from the dome.. Im normally at the very top of a parking deck on between spring and cone st ( walton st).. theres a few people that hang out up there.. i dunno we have a good time. cheap parking too, 10 bucks