A 64.3% won't get you out of high school...and probably not kindergarten either!

Mr. Right

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody knows better than No-way-in-El-AM-I-making-that, that 64% is bad.

The true fix is going to come when the Falcons hire a better long snapper and use another roster spot to get a TOP HOLDER from the free agent market.

If you keep giving him bad snaps, and bad holds, and an insufficient Timer, well then do not be surprised when that ball hooks so far left the cheerleaders have to duck!

It's not his fault and he is certainly going to fix it as we are not going to give a thought to bringing anybody else in here to try for his spot.

Mike Smith's approval rating on ESPN is 57%. Why didn't you pick that number. It's much lower.

Because that's more of an opinion. 64% is a fact. Elam is a hired professional. If a surgeon could only operate successfully 64% of the time, I probably wouldn't hire him.

Edited by Mr. Right

Because that's more of an opinion. 64% is a fact. Elam is a hired professional. If a surgeon could only operate successfully 64% of the time, I probably wouldn't hire him.

No, but none of us would mind seeing that surgeon take a scalpel to you....

With a blindfold on.

In the dark.

Drunk.

How many kickers (flights) are 100% year in and year out since commercial flights were available?

YOu bring up something that is very important. Gary Anderson from the Vikings was perfect all season long, but when it mattered the most, he missed. 1998 NFC Championship Game. Versus our Atlanta Falcons.

Jason Elam made a lot of easy misses last season, but nailed that one against the Bears.

Let's put this in perspective with a graph comparing Elam so far with the league average. We can see three things from this graph.

1) Elam is extremely inconsistent - hence the volatility of the red line.

2) Elam is WAY below the league average of 81%.

3) The gray area is the amount of points Elam lost for us. That's a lot!

elam.jpg

Edited by Mr. Right

Actually a 64% in high school is passing. Not passing well; but passing.

And speaking of passing, completing 64% of your passes isn't a bad success rate right?

Actually a 64% in high school is passing. Not passing well; but passing.

And speaking of passing, completing 64% of your passes isn't a bad success rate right?

hey, see there you have point, lets keep this up

if I went to Vegas and won 64% of the time at blackjack, I'd be doing great

actually in my Catholic school failure is 69.5...so your incorrect

Win.

A 64.3% won't get you out of high school...and probably not kindergarten either!

Can anyone name me the Quarterback that completes over 80% of their passes every game every year?

Let's take Payton Manning for example. His lowest season average is 56.7%, and his highest completed year has been 67.6%. Do you also realize that Peyton Manning threw as low as 42.5% in a game his Super Bowl season? He also threw under 64.3% 9 times in his Super bowl season.

So, yeah. A few sub 65% pass completion games a year from a teams quarterback can earn a Super Bowl victory.

Edited by cali_fan420

I am learning from the FO and TD that 64% is okay for a Field Goal percentage and we all must learn to be happy with this.

Reach down deep and think positive thoughts!

64% is better than 50%!

Knowing that he might make 6 out of his next 10 FG attempts actually should give you hope.

Think of the fun you'll have trying to guess which ones he'll make.

He is definitely encouraging the opposing defense to ramp it up on 3rd downs inside their own 40.

"If we hold them, there will be a bad snap, muffed place, and an ill-timed hook that give some fan a ball and us the ball back!"

Let's all be positive and rally around "No-Way-In-EL-AM-I-Making-That" and let him know that Almost Worst beats Last!!!

Let's put this in perspective with a graph comparing Elam so far with the league average. We can see three things from this graph.

1) Elam is extremely inconsistent - hence the volatility of the red line.

2) Elam is WAY below the league average of 81%.

3) The gray area is the amount of points Elam lost for us. That's a lot!

elam.jpg

Okay Mr. Right, let's take an objective look at your graph from a mathematical standpoint. You cannot make a graph where your Y-axis (FG% in this case) contains the X-axis as a divisor (FG attempted in this case). You have violated algebra at this point and let me explain in very simple terms why. On your graph say Elam makes his first FG but then continues the rest of the season as reality has shown...a large chunk of the gray area disappears. Now say the first 13 kicks go as reality has shown but he makes number 14. As percentages would have it, only the tiniest of tiny bits of the gray area would go away, whereas in both scenarios his overall percentage would have been exactly the same, thus making the points made/missed the exact same. This graph is an absolute figment of your imagination of how math should work and I really hope your job doesn't depend on graphs...for all of our sakes.

Onto Elam. I don't think one person on here isn't upset with the performance of Elam at this point. As a kicker myself, you will not get any argument from me that 64% is a bad percentage. Just to clear this up: someone blamed it earlier on the spotter. False. The spot was perfect on the late Carolina kick. There was a timing issue with the snapper. But even with that, let me explain that the kicker's motion begins with the motion of the football, not necessarily the timing of the snap. So even though there was a timing issue with the snapper, Elam, especially with the sheer amount of successful kicks he's had, should have been able to recognize the issue and adjust to the sight of the ball being snapped, then begun his motion. The timing issue is a cop-out because it's not uncommon that the kicker and the snapper aren't on the same page. It's not a coincidence that this last FG attempt sailed left...like EVERY missed FG he's had this season.

I have to just imagine that Elam is in a funk. I'm truly surprised he's been given the opportunity to hang around in an environment like the NFL with his performance this year, but he can take it and learn from it. His 3 prior years, he's operated with an average of 91% success rate. Turner's had a funk this year. Ryan is having a funk this year. Elam is having a funk. Kickers have it too. He just needs to have the mentality to get it out of his head. Just....chill....out. With the schedule we've had to this point, be happy we're above .500 because the last half will be much easier than the first half.