Turner not ruling himself out for Giants game

Statick

Turner not ruling himself out for Giants game

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

FLOWERY BRANCH – Falcons running back Michael Turner, who suffered a high ankle sprain against Carolina and will not practice on Wednesday, did not rule himself out for Sunday's game against the New York Giants.

"I don't have a time frame on the injury," Turner told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Wednesday. "I'm not going to count myself out right now. It's only Wednesday. I'm going to take a couple of days. Later on in the week, I ‘ll know for sure if I'll be able to play or not."

Falcons coach Mike Smith told the New York media in a conference call that Turner would not participate in practice and that he was "day to day."

A few weeks back, Smith said Jerious Norwood was "day to day" with a hip injury. Norwood has missed four games.

Turner, the Falcons leading rusher who helped power them to an 11-5 mark and the playoffs last season, went down early in the second quarter against the Panthers. He had been averaging 9.1 yards per carry over his last three games.

"I've just been doing rehab stuff, basically the stuff that everybody deals with when they have an injury," Turner said. "I just have to keep working at it. But at the same time I have to let it get some rest, too."

Turner's ankle was put through several medical tests on Monday.

"They didn't tell me anything about the tests," Turner said. "Just an ankle sprain. They didn't say no degrees or weeks or anything like that. It's different for every person. They just tell you what it is and you've got to deal with it."

The Falcons also added wide receiver Troy Bergeron back to the practice squad. He was released on Monday to make room for running back Aaron Stecker, who was re-signed to add depth at running back with Turner's injury.

If Turner is unable to play on Sunday, Jason Snelling and Aaron Stecker will play. They are hopeful that Jerious Norwood, who has missed the last four games with a hip flexor, is ready to return.

9.1 YPC? thats insane we need him back, asap.

Though, I think Stecker serves as a good backup. I think him and Snelling will do fine should Turner miss any games.

I just don't think that Stecker nor Snelling possess the big play ability that Turner and Norwood possess. If we can get Norwood back this week, I will feel ok. If neither play, then I feel confident that NY will blitz us to death and we will be 5-5.

I love Michael Turner, liked him ever since I saw him in the 2007 playoff game where he went one on one with Bob Sanders and laid him out cold. So case in point, I would love to have Michael Turner in the game, however, I wouldn't want him rushing it and the injury progressing further.

I love Michael Turner, liked him ever since I saw him in the 2007 playoff game where he went one on one with Bob Sanders and laid him out cold. So case in point, I would love to have Michael Turner in the game, however, I wouldn't want him rushing it and the injury progressing further.

I agree 100%! We still have some big games to play and I would much rather have him back healthy as possible down the stretch.

Turner was getting 12.3 a carry before he went down on Sunday.

I think with Jerious it is more about the concussions. Two is two too many. Look at what happened to Westbrook when he came back too soon from a concussion, he got another one. His career might be in jeopardy. Our staff is smart enough to keep Jerious of the field for his own health, whether he likes it or not.

4 weeks and jerious is still day to day????wow

His injury is a pretty painful one that can limit your ability to run and cut, I hope you never have to go through something like a hip flexor injury. Walking can be a challenge if the injury is bad enough.

hip-pain-hip-flexor.jpg

This illustrates where the injury usually occurs, it's a pretty painful one to work through.

His injury is a pretty painful one that can limit your ability to run and cut, I hope you never have to go through something like a hip flexor injury. Walking can be a challenge if the injury is bad enough.

hip-pain-hip-flexor.jpg

This illustrates where the injury usually occurs, it's a pretty painful one to work through.

Hip-flexors are some of the most serious injuries players, especially RB's, can suffer. The main problem being, if you do not let it heal completely and try to rush it, the injury can come back to haunt you for the rest of your career. I would love to have Norwood's speed back this week, but if not Stecker will suffice. Let's get #1 and #2 healthy. We have 3 straight home games after NY so we will need them back for those to guarantee wins. No sense in risking further injury for either.

I admire his toughness, but I don't think he's playing. Nor should he if it truly is a high ankle sprain.

I get the feeling we might see him in 3 weeks though.

Norwood is out for the season. Reminds me of when JA55 had that hamstring back in 06

And even if he comes back, he will be out very soon. Norwood injuries are a real problem and I think, that you can call him injury prone. And that is a real label for a running back, who is getting hit, of course.

Roddy said it right. Turner is the offense MVP. But I do not think, that he will be avaialabe for the NG game.....That would me really suprise.

But Snelling will do okay, but he is not a homerunhitter. I like really Stecker. I liked him in NO as player. He does a lot of little things and is a good 3rddown back. So Matty...instead of throwing in triple coverage, please use checkdown Stecker! Thanks!

And even if he comes back, he will be out very soon. Norwood injuries are a real problem and I think, that you can call him injury prone. And that is a real label for a running back, who is getting hit, of course.

I tend to agree. I say go ahead and rush him back this week. If he plays this week, or when his is 100% healty, I don't know that his chances of finishing the whole game are any different.

Turner isn't back this week, period. I say he'll be back after the Eagles game. We have to throw other teams off and not let them know what's going on. It's call strategy. If he comes back early and re-injures himself and have a season ending injury, we're done. Same with Norwood.