Matt Ryan is our Quarterback...

Quarterback

Right up front I'll tell you as a former Quarterback myself I have been concerned over Ryan's play the past several weeks, and I think it stems from unwarranted (IMO) pocket fear, abandoning the pocket too early at times, too quick to dump the ball off out of bounds, overthrowing wide open targets several times this season, and worst of all, untimely interceptions that were avoidable. So, I'm not a blind homer who will avoid or deny some of his recent challenges and shortcomings, and I was one who had not yet anointed him as the next great NFL QB. I think this has to be proven through adversity and over time--not on early impressions.

However....

This is one of the most discipline, hard working, well meaning, humble, and capable QB's for a second year player we'll ever get and not only do I believe he is only going to get better and better, year after year, he is also the type of person we should all be very proud to have as the Quarterback of our Atlanta Falcons. Just as many of us were wondering what happened to Michael Turner the first 4-5 games of this season, Ryan is going through the same thing in a different position, and just like Turner has responded the past three games, I am predicting right now that Matt Ryan will learn from this experience and will be a better QB because of it. I predict that Matt Ryan will play better the balance of this season and even better next year.

No, he may not have the rifle arm of a Farve or Elway, but this kid has every other essential tool and intangible to be one of the better Quarterbacks in the NFL for the next 10-12 years. These tools, coupled with what I believe is a person this city can be proud to claim as our Falcon Quarterback and one who'll always represent us in a professional and honorable way, is deserving of our support right now, not these angry, resentful and often childish attacks. This is a good guy who is giving it his very best so let's get behind him rather than trying to tear him down during a tough learning curve.

Seriously, why would any true Falcon Fan not want a person like Matt Ryan to be successful?

Edited by Quarterback

Right up front I'll tell you as a former Quarterback myself I have been concerned over Ryan's play the past several weeks, and I think it stems from unwarranted (IMO) pocket fear, abandoning the pocket too early at times, too quick to dump the ball off out of bounds, overthrowing wide open targets several times this season, and worst of all, untimely interceptions that were avoidable. So, I'm not a blind homer who will avoid or deny some of his recent challenges and shortcomings, and I was one who had not yet anointed him as the next great NFL QB. I think this has to be proven through adversity and over time--not on early impressions.

However....

This is one of the most discipline, hard working, well meaning, humble, and capable QB's for a second year player we'll ever get and not only do I believe he is only going to get better and better, year after year, he is also the type of person we should all be very proud to have as the Quarterback of our Atlanta Falcons. Just as many of us were wondering what happened to Michael Turner the first 4-5 games of this season, Ryan is going through the same thing in a different position, and just like Turner has responded the past three games, I am predicting right now that Matt Ryan will learn from this experience and will be a better QB because of it. I predict that Matt Ryan will play better the balance of this season and even better next year.

No, he may not have the rifle arm of a Farve or Elway, but this kid has every other essential tool and intangible to be one of the better Quarterbacks in the NFL for the next 10-12 years. These tools, coupled with what I believe is a person this city can be proud to claim as our Falcon Quarterback and one who'll always represent us in a professional and honorable way, is deserving of our support right now, not these angry, resentful and often childish attacks. This is a good guy who is giving it his very best so let's get behind him rather than trying to tear him down during a tough learning curve.

Seriously, why would any true Falcon Fan not want a person like Matt Ryan to be successful?

Good post. Matt is going to rise above these critics and make them kiss the two Super Bowl rings he wins for this franchise :D

Were you sitting in front of an American flag when you typed this? Was Glory, Glory, Hallelujah playing?

Matt Ryan = Trent Edwards - when was the last time you posted anything positive on these message boards - oh wait, I can't recall you ever doing that! Just shut up and go away already! We have heard you say it over and over - you think Matt Ryan is not a good quarterback - WE HEARD YOU Jack A, now shut up and go away if you don't have anything intelligent to say! Which QB in Falcons history do you think has done a better job? Which Falcon QB had a better record at the same amount of games played as Ryan? Which Falcon QB ever had winning seasons back to back? If you cannot see why people defend this Kid in his 2nd season (Remember most QB's don't start/play their 1st season) you are truly a moron!

Ryan might turn out to be a bust, but I am sticking with the guy with the best record, done a better job in the games played (I'm talking about what matters here W vs. L), and has the ability to do what has never been done in Falcons franchise history, bring a back to back winning season to the Atlanta Falcons.

So do everyone on this board a favor since you are apparently not a fan and shut the h3ll up and go away!!!

who are u a former QB of if you dont mind me asking??

A Georgia High school, and SEC University, and survived two years in the pros as a seldom used backup and #3 on the depth chart. Been involved in neuro and spinal surgery since.

To protect my anonymity and other's objectivity I'll leave it at that.

However....

Joe Montana wasn't known for his arm stregnth either, and look where he is...

I saw Joe the other day at the Golden Corral, I about had to knock him down because he was taken too long in the buffet line :lol:

I could not resist - I agree with you - Matty ICE is the Future of the Atlanta Falcons and will lead us where no QB for the Falcons has ever taken us before!!!

I saw Joe the other day at the Golden Corral, I about had to knock him down because he was taken too long in the buffet line :lol:

I could not resist - I agree with you - Matty ICE is the Future of the Atlanta Falcons and will lead us where no QB for the Falcons has ever taken us before!!!

lolol........That was hilarious.

However....

How could anyone disagree with this? Very good post!

The best NFL "system" (and this is not meant negatively) QB ever in my opinion was Montana. "System" meaning their respective offenses and supporting casts were perfect for their particular strengths. Others were Bart Starr, Bob Griese, Fran Tarkenton, Joe Thiesmann, Phil Simms, Kurt Warner and now Drew Brees.

The best NFL QB's that had the raw talent for any system, IMO, were/are (in order): Tom Brady, John Elway, Troy Aikman, Peyton Manning, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Roger Staubach, Joe Namath, Bret Farve, Johnny Unitas and maybe Terry Bradshaw.

Like Matt Ryan, no one could easily predict extended greatness for any or at least most of these guys above coming out of college. I will hold off on my predictions until his third year in the league when we'll find out how Matt is able to overcome the types of growing challenges he is now experiencing. I am optimistic!

Edited by Quarterback

The best NFL "system" (and this is not meant negatively) QB ever in my opinion was Montana. "System" meaning their respective offenses and supporting casts were perfect for their particular strengths. Others were Bart Starr, Bob Griese, Fran Tarkenton, Joe Thiesmann, Phil Simms, Kurt Warner and now Drew Brees.

The best NFL QB's that had the raw talent for any system, IMO, were/are (in order): Tom Brady, John Elway, Troy Aikman, Peyton Manning, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Roger Staubach, Joe Namath, Johnny Unitas and maybe Terry Bradshaw.

Like Matt Ryan, no one could easily predict extended greatness for any or at least most of these guys above coming out of college. I will hold off on my predictions until his third year in the league when we'll find out how Matt is able to overcome the types of growing challenges he is now experiencing. I am optimistic!

Year 3 for Ryan to come into his own.

Year four he will destroy the league.

The best NFL QB's that had the raw talent for any system, IMO, were/are (in order): Tom Brady, John Elway, Troy Aikman, Peyton Manning, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Roger Staubach, Joe Namath, Bret Farve, Johnny Unitas and maybe Terry Bradshaw.

When I brought up Joe Montana, I was just trying to say that sometimes arm strength is overrated. You're right though, Bill Walsh and Joe Montana were the perfect combination.