Mikem's oppinion on Matt Ryans Slump

Slimm

Why has Matt Ryan played so poorly? Does anyone know? First off here are some stats from his slump.

Slump

Game_____Comp/Att_Pct____Yds______Avg____TD______Int______Sck_SckY_Rate_Current Pass D Rank

CHI________19/33__57.6____185_____5.6_____2_______2_______0____0___68.4___195.3 (8th)

@Dal_______19/35__54.3____198_____5.7_____2_______2_______4____24__66.1___227.4 (18th)

@NO________19/42__45.2____289_____6.9_____1_______3_______3____8___46.6___227.7 (19th)

WAS________17/24__70.8____135_____5.6_____1_______1_______3____10__81.1___162.7 (1st)

@CAR_______22/41__53.7____224_____5.5_____1_______2_______0____0___57.4___186.4 (4th)

I notice a couple of things when i look at these stats.

1)His touchdowns are always less than or equal to his ints....TD<INT

2)The pass defenses have been very good

3)He has been sacked 12 times in 5 games before that he was sacked 2 times in 4 games

4)lets look at jenkins stats during ryans slump

5 games, 14 receptions, 123 yards, 8.8 avg

5) lets look at jenkins stats before slump

4 games, 14 receptions, 187 yards, 13.3 avg

6) you may ask about roddy...he has played consistant minus his 27 yard game against WAS

My take:

It would be unfair to put all the blame on Matt but i am not saying the slump is not his fault. I think it is a combination of the strength of the pass defenses, our oline, Jenkins, and matt ryan.

We have all watched the games. We have all seen Jenkins dropping balls like they are hot and matt ryan over throwing open receivers and laying the ball right into the hands of the defense. Everyone has seen the Oline fall apart against pass rushers.

What i am trying to say is...This isn't one big problem, it is many small problems. We can fix this before we are out of the playoff run. we fixed the run game and look at how turner has performed in the last 3 games! Lets hope he comes back soon, but i beleive we can still be fine with snelling and stecker. What i am trying to say is this isn't a Matt ryan slump it is a pass offence slump. it is unfair for us to put it solely on ryan. Have faith people! Smith and Mularkey can fix this.

---------------------------------------------------

Hope you enjoyed what i had to say...remember people it is just my opinion :D

Let's Go Falcons :)

IMO the difference in Ryan last year/early season and the past 4 games is timing. Before the slump Ryan wasn't holding the ball very long. He used to take the 3-5 step drop and get rid of the ball immediately before the receivers come out of their route. When the receivers turned their head the ball was right there. That's one of the reasons why he had very few sacks. DBs didn't have time to react.

Now, it seems like Ryan is holding the ball much longer. Waiting for the receiver to end the route or come open. I think the opposing defense figured out his game and are throwing different coverages at him. It seems like when the balls are reaching the receivers, the defenders are facing the play and in many instances there are 2-3 guys around our WR.

As with any QBs, pressure can also throw off the timing. Defenses seem to be blitzing more which forces the Falcons to keep more players in to protect Ryan. There has been situations where we're passing on 3rd and long and only sending 2 receivers out into a Nickel defense. I just don't understand why the Falcons don't run plays to counter this such as draw plays, screens, slants, or sending a RB or a WR underneath.

This is also where we miss Norwood. We can dump the ball off to Norwood in the open field where he is most dangerous with his speed. Last year we had a lot of big plays and even a TD on a short dump off to Norwood in the flat or between the DL and LB. Turner isn't very good at catching the ball out of the backfield.

I also don't understand why they stopped running the no-huddle offense. It seems like every time the Falcons ran the no huddle they would march down the field and score. It kept the opponent on their heels. Suddenly this year they just abandoned it for the most part.

IMO the difference in Ryan last year/early season and the past 4 games is timing. Before the slump Ryan wasn't holding the ball very long. He used to take the 3-5 step drop and get rid of the ball immediately before the receivers come out of their route. When the receivers turned their head the ball was right there. That's one of the reasons why he had very few sacks. DBs didn't have time to react.

Now, it seems like Ryan is holding the ball much longer. Waiting for the receiver to end the route or come open. I think the opposing defense figured out his game and are throwing different coverages at him. It seems like when the balls are reaching the receivers, the defenders are facing the play and in many instances there are 2-3 guys around our WR.

As with any QBs, pressure can also throw off the timing. Defenses seem to be blitzing more which forces the Falcons to keep more players in to protect Ryan. There has been situations where we're passing on 3rd and long and only sending 2 receivers out into a Nickel defense. I just don't understand why the Falcons don't run plays to counter this such as draw plays, screens, slants, or sending a RB or a WR underneath.

This is also where we miss Norwood. We can dump the ball off to Norwood in the open field where he is most dangerous with his speed. Last year we had a lot of big plays and even a TD on a short dump off to Norwood in the flat or between the DL and LB. Turner isn't very good at catching the ball out of the backfield.

I also don't understand why they stopped running the no-huddle offense. It seems like every time the Falcons ran the no huddle they would march down the field and score. It kept the opponent on their heels. Suddenly this year they just abandoned it for the most part.

He's holding the ball for a shorter period of time than before. The average time now is between 2 and 2.5 seconds. Before - he had 3 to 4 seconds to throw the ball. His time to plant and deliver has been reduced.

Ryan needs to step into his throws and just trust himself. He's seems so hesitant now. Also...

There has been situations where we're passing on 3rd and long and only sending 2 receivers out into a Nickel defense. I just don't understand why the Falcons don't run plays to counter this such as draw plays, screens, slants, or sending a RB or a WR underneath.
Blame Mularkey for not sending 3,4,5 WRs out there. Some of the blame goes to Mularkey

One thing to keep in mind about Matt Ryan. He has one of the strongest work ethics in the NFL. Yes, he is having problems right now. Everybody has problems from time to time. What separates the elite from the rest of the rest of the pack is how they handle their problems. Matt Ryan works and studies his A$$ off. With his work ethic, I do believe that he will correct his game ASAP.

Unfortunately, Matt Ryan can't fix the rest of the team's problems. He can't fix the defense, heal the injuries or catch the balls that he throws. The rest of the team will have to step up as well. Which I think they can do. Oh yeah, just in case anybody didn't already know, FOOTBALL IS A TEAM SPORT..!!!