Rookie CB's

hawkeye

If we don't get a CB in FA or possibly re-sign B. Will,(which I really don't want to do) then we may have to go

with a rookie starting. I only like 2 FA and they are Bodden/D. Robinson. And Robinson will probably cost too

much or get franchised. It's really not much out there to choose from. I think I would trade out of the 1st and

try to get Cox in the 2nd and he would be my starter with Houston. Or we could just go with Owens/Houston. That's

still like going with a rookie though. My question is what rookie CB is worthy of starting b/c I really don't

think FA will be the answer. Either Owens or a rookie.

The only rookie CB that might have a shot at a starting spot is Haden ... all other CBs coming out this season have serious question marks. If we don't get a veteran CB via FA or trade, we will have the same problems again.

That said, our bigger problem is that our CBs have to cover way too long, because our DLine can't generate any pressure. Abe is regressing, Biermann had a hot start but isn't as good as some thought he would be, Davis isn't the big pass rusher, JA98 isn't a good pass rusher from the DE spot and I'm sure there's a very good reason that Sidbury doesn't really see the field (guess he's just not ready).

And from the DT spot Babs gets some pressure in some games, but he's very hot and cold, he has 1-2 good games and follows them up with a bad game ... and the other DTs are career backups for a reason.

Our defense has so many holes that we either start giving money to seasoned vets to win now, or we accept that it will take another 2-3 offseasons (if everything works out) till we have a solid defense.

Edited by falcon82

The only rookie CB that might have a shot at a starting spot is Haden ... all other CBs coming out this season have serious question marks. If we don't get a veteran CB via FA or trade, we will have the same problems again.

That said, our bigger problem is that our CBs have to cover way too long, because our DLine can't generate any pressure. Abe is regressing, Biermann had a hot start but isn't as good as some thought he would be, Davis isn't the big pass rusher, JA98 isn't a good pass rusher from the DE spot and I'm sure there's a very good reason that Sidbury doesn't really see the field (guess he's just not ready).

And from the DT spot Babs gets some pressure in some games, but he's very hot and cold, he has 1-2 good games and follows them up with a bad game ... and the other DTs are career backups for a reason.

Our defense has so many holes that we either start giving money to seasoned vets to win now, or we accept that it will take another 2-3 offseasons (if everything works out) till we have a solid defense.

I think Haden is overrated.

I think Haden is overrated.

Depends ... he's the best CB in the 2010 Draft (if he comes out). Is he worth a early first round pick? No, he's not that good ... Yet, everybody else I've seen has either big deficits when it comes to technique, tackling or athletic abilities. There's no CB in the draft where you can be sure that he'll start, all of them need a lot of work. 2010 is not the year to draft a CB early.

Edited by falcon82

Depends ... he's the best CB in the 2010 Draft (if he comes out). Is he worth a early first round pick? No, he's not that good ... Yet, everybody else I've seen has either big deficits when it comes to technique, tackling or athletic abilities. There's no CB in the draft where you can be sure that he'll start, all of them need a lot of work. 2010 is not the year to draft a CB early.

It's really not the year but I don't think we have a choice. I just don't like FA.

I tell you who I wish was coming out and that's Patrick Peterson.

Edited by hawkeye

It's really not the year but I don't think we have a choice. I just don't like FA.

And you'd draft somebody with 3rd round talent (in a decent CB class) in the 1st or early 2nd (if we trade down) just to get one? Please say "NO" ... we have so many holes there will be better talent available when we pick.

I might be "happy" with Haden with a pick in the late 10s/early 20s, not earlier. Any other CB in the draft isn't worth more than a mid-2nd round pick (even if P. Robinson might go off the board in the early 2nd ... based on athletic ability, but his technique, awareness and tackling is questionable).

In my book, we really should fix other holes this draft, if we can't get the #1 CB ... we can't get any pressure, so get a DE ... even if we pick up somebody like Kampman, we might need a 2nd DE.

I'd be pretty angry if we added another project-CB to a group of young CBs ... what we need there is a veteran or somebody who can step in and set the tone, not another CB who might become a starter in a year or two.

Edited by falcon82

And you'd draft somebody with 3rd round talent (in a decent CB class) in the 1st or early 2nd (if we trade down) just to get one? Please say "NO" ... we have so many holes there will be better talent available when we pick.

I might be "happy" with Haden with a pick in the late 10s/early 20s, not earlier. Any other CB in the draft isn't worth more than a mid-2nd round pick (even if P. Robinson might go off the board in the early 2nd ... based on athletic ability, but his technique, awareness and tackling is questionable).

In my book, we really should fix other holes this draft, if we can't get the #1 CB ... we can't get any pressure, so get a DE ... even if we pick up somebody like Kampman, we might need a 2nd DE.

I'd be pretty angry if we added another project-CB to a group of young CBs ... what we need there is a veteran or somebody who can step in and set the tone, not another CB who might become a starter in a year or two.

I think our biggest need is CB. I would take a DE in FA. And yes I would try to trade down and get Cox in the

2nd. But speaking of Haden.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/11/joe-haden-to-petition-for-nfl-evaluation.html

Florida junior cornerback Joe Haden -- a potential first-rounder in the eyes of many scouts and analysts -- told the Sentinel that he expects to file paperwork for an NFL draft evaluation.

The NFL Draft Advisory Board is composed of professional football scouts, experts and general managers to offer opinions on a player's draft stock.

Haden has 50 tackles, three interceptions, three sacks and a forced fumble through 10 games, prompting Coach Urban Meyer to call him "one of the best players in the country." ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said Haden could be the top cornerback in the 2010 draft.

"There's wasn't a definitive top cornerback going into the year, so Haden could certainly slide into that top spot," said Rob Rang, director of NFLdraftscout.com. "One thing that could make scouts nervous is that Florida has so many playmakers that Haden can roam free and have a lot of freedom. He doesn't have to be the man. But with that speed, he certainly has the makeup of a solid corner."

This past draft was "supposed" to be a very weak draft for CBs, yet there are a number of guys making an early impact.

It is just all about finding the right guy. Owens was/is a project. He is undersized and coming from a small-school. He has a much steeper learning curve than most other guys.

We just need to find a solid player who can contribute. Trevard Lindley, Perrish Cox, Crezdon Butler, Ras I Dowling, Brandon Ghee and a few others have the potential to be solid players.

Look at the Saints. They have Tracy Porter and Jabari Greer. Not household names, but very solid starters. That is what we need. It is extremely rare to find a Shut-Down CB.

Don't blame the Pass rush either. Our CBs are getting beat as soon as the ball is snapped. We get KILLED by slants and quick passes because our CBs simply cannot cover.

We definitely need to continue to get a better rush, but that wouldn't help much with what we have now at CB.