WDE's Falcons midseason performance appraisal

I just finished up a performance appraisal for one of my employees whom I'm constantly complaining about. After analyzing all of the criteria, I had to give the guy an overall grade of "proficient", second only to "expert." That led me to do the same for the 2009 Atlanta Falcons because they are truly my second love behind only my family.

In order to shorten this post, I think most of us here knew the atmosphere after the Petrino/Vick fiasco and the expectations afterward. Nobody gave the Falcons a chance and for good reason. What happened? Arthur Blank got really lucky in finding a GM and more importantly found a gem in Matt Ryan and had a VERY favorable schedule.

Well, the cards didn't fall so easily this year and the team is struggling. Everyone had the highest expectations of the team although they also realized the schedule was brutal. Guess what, you were right.

I've seen post after post today complaining about Ryan and Elam, with due cause. However, no one is talking about the big picture. Here's how I see it:

The ENTIRE organization has taken a step back from last season, and it should be expected by educated fans. Last year was a miracle season.

1. Dimitroff - 2008 draft class one of the best in Falcons history. 2009 - where are they?

2. Smith - Coach of the year in 2008 - 2009, cost the Falcons atleast 2 chances at a win already

3. Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, Roddy White, Michael Jenkins, Sam Baker, Jerious Norwood, Harvey Dahl, Todd McClure, Jason Elam, and especially John Abraham - ALL having less production from last year.

The list goes on and on but this shouldn't be a surprise. There are no KC, STL, or DET's on the schedule this year. Last year, no one got hurt. This year, everyone is getting hurt.

The only game I was disappointed with the performance was against Dallas. The players are playing hard and it's up to the coaching staff to put them in the position to win.

They have let the team down this year but I'm sure they know that. It WILL improve.

Most of my friends are old codgers who live for football and they all say the same thing about Ryan. "You've got a winner there, give the kid some time." That's good enough for me.

The good thing is a foundation has been set in place and we're on the right track. Who would've thought that Babineaux would be playing at a pro bowl level? Decoud and Lofton have been awesome. JA98 is finally earning earning his paycheck. Beirmann is a stud.

The future looks bright people.

+1

I admit to being one that thought Matt didnt need "education". Well the darndest thing is that the mistakes Matt makes is actually what will make him a better QB down the stretch (as in 2-3+ years kinda stretch).

Im not throwing the season away, but in the spirit of your post, Im enjoying to see how our players react to the diversity this season brings. In the large picture, it will only make em better.

Tbh I just have to stop thinking 1 season at a time. Im a Falcon fan for life, so thats what I will give em. On my deathbed some 90 years from now (I fully expect to be over 120 years old when I pass away), and if the Falcons still havent won a SB yet.. then I will make a post entitled: "Bench Matt Ryan". Untill then, Im gonna enjoy me some Falcons football, win or loose.

:lol::lol::lol:

Thank you! It's refreshing to read a positive post.

I agree...We've had some injuries and playing much stronger teams. Next year we will get our younger players back. It will be like having two 1st round picks (when we get Jerry back) and two 2nd rounders (with Moore coming back). Not to mention HD!!!!!

Hang in there Fellow Falcons Faithful!!!! We are going to be OK!

Great post, I kind of figured that if we were 5-3 at the mid-point then we were on track, which we were... and if we go 5-3 for the second half, which we should then we should have a wildcard berth. The one main thing that I have been watching this year is for improvement and we have improved every game, the last two notwithstanding. Of course we need to get back on track very quickly for this to pan out.

Summarized, I believe that we are still in better shape for the long haul than I have seen this team since its inception. Of course that doesn't necessarily do anything for us this season with all the injuries that we have but most of us knew that this was gonna be at least a three year process anyway.

Am I sad that we lost? Absolutely, but the Falcons are still my team and I am behind them 100%

Thank you! It's refreshing to read a positive post.

I agree...We've had some injuries and playing much stronger teams. Next year we will get our younger players back. It will be like having two 1st round picks (when we get Jerry back) and two 2nd rounders (with Moore coming back). Not to mention HD!!!!!

Hang in there Fellow Falcons Faithful!!!! We are going to be OK!

I think the loss of Harry Douglas, and the injury to Norwood, is why our offense aint clicking.

+1

I admit to being one that thought Matt didnt needed "education". Well the darndest thing is that the mistakes Matt makes is actually what will make him a better QB down the stretch (as in 2-3+ years kinda stretch).

This is the cold hard truth. It should be pinned at the top of this forum for everyone to see.

I think a lot of people are disappointed right now and that's understandable. It's tough after a loss when you know your team could've won. I say it's time to take a step back as a fan and try to enjoy the "journey" or "process" as Smith would call it.

Anyone who thinks this roster is capable of a Super Bowl run is either highly optimistic or slightly delusional. Those of you who do, did you watch the Pats/Colts game last night? If you did, then you should be happy where the Falcons are today because they're doing pretty well with much less talent than those guys.

This thread is a breath of fresh air. Well said amigo. We knew coming in this was a brutal schedule and we are fighting our way through it with injuries. Yes we are headed in the right direction and the good thing is we are capable of playing much better. We have some pieces to add to the puzzle too so chins up!!