Guess The Quarter Back - One is Ours

Tandy

Ryan is 16-9 as a starter in the regular season. He would have won at least one playoff game last year had it not been for that idiot Brooking.

Those are the only stats I need to know. Your screen name lets everyone know in advance what a moron you are, you should change it.

Chill with that brother. Everyone on that team lost that game. Brooking wasn't the one that got burned by Larry Fitzgerald. Brooking also wasn't the one that had a missed tackle on Boldin's long TD. Brooking wasn't the only one that lost that game.

Chill with that brother. Everyone on that team lost that game. Brooking wasn't the one that got burned by Larry Fitzgerald. Brooking also wasn't the one that had a missed tackle on Boldin's long TD. Brooking wasn't the only one that lost that game.

You are right. We win as a team and we lose as a team.

Tandy -

No-one with half a brain cell is saying that they want Matt run out of town or that he is not ahead of the curve as a second year QB.

The question is more whether he is living up to expectations. Matt's first season was IMO the 3rd best rookie season ever, behind two of the greatest to ever play the game.

You've put the 2nd year stats for one of them up. I will put up the other:

Marino: 185 / 278, 66.5%, 2672 yrds, 27/8

Manning P: 186 / 311, 59.8%, 2519 yrds, 17/10

The culture of expectations is a curse - but I think the major problem for the majority of the rational posters is that MATT WAS LIVING UP TO THOSE EXPECTATIONS. If his pace from the first quarter of the season was extrapolated, he would currently be at:

Ryan (based on 4 games): 185 / 277, 66.7%, 2200 yrds, 16/5

That stat line bears comparison with both the names mentioned above.

-------

We want Matt to succeed and myself, as I do not not have as deep an understanding as either Matt or the coaches, I find it difficult to rationalise why Matt's game seems to have regressed just as the running game is getting going.

Whether the stats reflect it or not, I have seen 5 BAD throws in as many games and I just want to know what is going on.

I would like to be patient but part of the emotion of being a fan is feeling the lows as well as the highs. Maybe I jusst need re-assurance.

Hope some of this makes sense...

--------

EDIT - I think one of the other things is that we have made steps to win now - noteably bringing Tony G in. I know that Matt will be a great QB in 3 years time, I just really hoped that he'd be a great one now, realistic or not. Anyway writing this post has made me realise that compared with how bad we have had it in the recent past - it could be so much worse. It's the nature of the message board to complain about soemthing and I'm glad it's not anything more serious!

Oh - I get the frustration completely. I hate watching it myself. The difference is that I'm not surprised.

This is a normal part of the maturation of a quarterback. The problem is that he did so well his first year - everyone thought he was immune to the normal ups and downs of a QB transitioning from rookie to mature QB.

I knew that he would struggle in a lot of games this year. We are facing tougher opponents, he's being given more responsibility and he's trying to transition from game manager to game changer.

That doesn't mean I enjoy watching it any more than you do. I get upset and frustrated even knowing that it is normal.

I just believe that he has the work ethic, the smarts and the fortitude to come out a winner for us on the other end of this.

Right now - it's just important that he doesn't lose his confidence, his aggressiveness or his competitiveness during this process. We the fans will suffer the most through this - we always do.

However, look at San Diego - dumping Brees during his struggling beginning - basically throwing him away. I can't tell you how many other teams have made this mistake. Brett Favre anyone?

We'll be okay - and I still believe we make the playoffs this year. I think we sweep at home and take at least one on the road - Tampa or the Jets or both. That will make us 10-6 or 11-5 depending on one or two. With the way the NFC has been panning out - that should get us the wildcard spot.

Then - it's on us. Let's hope Ryan has it together by then!

Great Post Tandy,

Every QB struggles and pays his dues in the NFL.

Ryan is doing so at this point in time and we still have a good shot at reaching the playoffs.

Yep - I think we are lucky to be in the position we are in when it comes to a second year QB - most teams struggle much more.

There are some Cinderella years for QB's - yet I don't know of one who hasn't struggled at some point - normally the 2nd or 3rd year.

No one got the extra points - I'll point them out:

a. 153 of 275 for 55.6% AND 1617 yards - 5 TDs 13 Ints and rating of 59.3 = Troy Aikman - Superbowl Winner and HOF member

b. 145 of 258 for 56.2% and 1737 yards - 8 TDs 15 Ints and rating of 63.1 = Terry Bradshaw - Superbowl Winner and HOF member

c. 178 of 298 for 59.7% and 2008 yards - 14 TDs 12 Ints and rating of 78.8 = Matt Ryan - Just a second year QB - long way to go

d. 119 of 222 for 53.6% and 1456 yards - 4 TDs 5 Ints and rating of 70.7 = Steve Young - Superbowl Winner and HOF member

e. 141 of 263 for 53.6% and 1842 yards - 10 TDs 19 Ints and rating of 58.5 = Johnny Unitas - Superbowl Winner and HOF member

f. 125 of 225 for 55.6% and 1641 yards with 9 TDs and 10 Ints and a rating of 73.6 = Warren Moon - HOF member who never made it to the Superbowl.

g. 185 of 278 for 66.5% and 2672 yards - 27 TDs 8 Ints and rating of 118.0 = Dan Marino - HOF member who never won a Superbowl

h. 174 of 302 for 57.6% and 1813 yards - 9 TDs 13 Ints and rating of 67.1 = Drew Brees - 9th year veteran - no Superbowl appearances

i. 173 of 269 for 64.3% and 1797 yards - 10TDs 12 Ints and rating of 77.3 =Tim Couch - QB played 5 years & only started 1 full season due to injuries. No Superbowl.

j. 161 of 322 for 50.0% and 1883 yards - 11 TD 18 Ints and rating of 56.2 =Ryan Leaf - QB started 21 games in NFL due to injuries - Career 14 TD 36 INTs. No Superbowl appearance.

k. 149 of 250 for 59.6% and 1909 yards - 11 TD 5 Ints and rating of 89.9 =Matt Ryan - rookie year

l. 173 of 302 for 57.3% and 1743 yards - 11 TD 8 Ints and rating of 75.0 =Donovan McNabb - 10th year veteran QB currently active. No Superbowl win.

m. 165 of 278 for 59.4% and 1701 yards - 12 TD 13 Ints and rating of 71.9 =Brett Favre - 19th year veteran Superbowl winner.

n. 166 of 307 for 54.1% and 1585 yards - 9 TD 13 Ints and rating of 60.8 = Joey Harrington - 8th year veteran - no Superbowl appearances

o. 97 of 179 for 54.2% and 1190 yards - 6 TD 5 Ints and rating of 74.5 = Michael Vick - 7th year veteran currently backup QB - no Superbowl appearances.

p. 110 of 212 for 51.9% and 1691 yards - 16 TDs and 15 Ints and rating of 74.2 = Fran Tarkenton - No Superbowl ring in 3 appearances but is a HOF member

q. 149 of 302 for 49.3% and 2072 yards - 12 TDs and 17 Ints and rating of 62.6 = Joe Namath - Superbowl winner and HOF member

r. 126 of 196 for 64.3% and 1410 yards - 13 TDs 7 Ints and rating of 92 = Joe Montana - Superbowl Winner and HOF Member.

MORAL OF THE STORY - Don't judge a Quarterback by his second year performance. QB's take time to develop and travel different career paths. We have a long way to go before we know which path our young QB takes to the end of his career.

Ryan is 16-9 as a starter in the regular season. He would have won at least one playoff game last year had it not been for that idiot Brooking.

Those are the only stats I need to know. Your screen name lets everyone know in advance what a moron you are, you should change it.

Brooking misplayed on that last play but Ryan should have seen the huge hole on the right hand side of the O-line before the snap of the Turner fumble. That cost us the game...deflated the defense and offense.

Apologists can shine up a turd and make it look like gold. whats wrong with admitting the guy is in a prolonged slump? Jeez. These posts are akin to pep rallys

Uninformed whiners can crap on a gold bar and make it look dirty. What's wrong with admitting that he's a second year QB and is going through the normal struggles all quarterbacks go through?

Easier to sling crap and hope it makes you feel better?

You want results - 16 - 9 overall, 11 - 1 at the dome and 5-8 on the road. Those are the results with Ryan at QB. A 64% winning record overall and a 92% winning record at home and 39% winning record on the road.

We play 4 of the remaining 7 games in the dome. At 92% - we should win all of them 3.7 = 4. We play 3 of the remaining games on the road. At 39% we should win at least 1 on the road.

The results for the year if this holds true = 10-6. Should be resulting in Playoffs.

There you go - Results.