After the punt on 4th and 2, the deep pass (intercepted)

Down 19-21

3:59 in the 4th quarter

You have the ball

1st and 10 on the CAR49

Why a DEEEP pass?

What did our OC think?

You run the ball, eat time, advance to the red zone/FG zone

Why a deep pass?

Even if we had scored, the Panthers would have plenty of time to win the game

That was a stupid call and an horrid pass by Ryan

Its not the coaches fault its matt ryans fault, rememeber the NO game when Coleman forced Pierre Thomas to fumble and we had the momentun and about to go ahead and score the go ahead TD, but Ryan threw the pick forcing it to TG?

Someone called that pass

Ryan pass was horrid, but the call was even worse

You don't call a deep pass on 1st and 10 on the 49 yards line with 4 minutes left.

It just doesn't make sense

Down 19-21

3:59 in the 4th quarter

You have the ball

1st and 10 on the CAR49

Why a DEEEP pass?

What did our OC think?

You run the ball, eat time, advance to the red zone/FG zone

Why a deep pass?

Even if we had scored, the Panthers would have plenty of time to win the game

That was a stupid call and an horrid pass by Ryan

We had a big stop, a big return, an momentum was on our side. Strike while the iron was hot. Have no problem with the route called. It was pretty well covered though, and would have to of been a very good pass to complete it. Ryan was off high (as he's been for quite a few weeks now), and that was the problem. Would have liked for him to of checked off that throw into a safer one.

JMO.

+ 1

Noticed that alot this year with Smitty....seems to make weird play calls in obvious situations....the NE Pats game was the same way....4th and 2 with 7 mins left or something and they decide to punt? just weird!!!

To me this is the thing, fans gripe and complain that we're too conservative, and/or too predictable in play calling, so when we mix it up or get aggressive, it's usually those same fans griping and complaining "WTH were they thinking". Not saying that's what this thread is, but guarantee you there are a lot of people who've been begging us to be more aggressive that are now hammering some of the aggressive play calls that didn't work (just logged in & can't back that up yet, but this would be a 1st if it's not happening).

We had a big stop, a big return, an momentum was on our side. Strike while the iron was hot. Have no problem with the route called. It was pretty well covered though, and would have to of been a very good pass to complete it. Ryan was off high (as he's been for quite a few weeks now), and that was the problem. Would have liked for him to of checked off that throw into a safer one.

JMO.

No I'm sorry

I have never like that type of calls (something the Eagles love to do)

You don't run to score when you have to run the clock

We just needed 3 points, not 7

All we had to do was running the clock

Even with a TD, the Panthers would have had 3 minutes or more to score again

To me this is the thing, fans gripe and complain that we're too conservative, and/or too predictable in play calling, so when we mix it up or get aggressive, it's usually those same fans griping and complaining "WTH were they thinking". Not saying that's what this thread is, but guarantee you there are a lot of people who've been begging us to be more aggressive that are now hammering some of the aggressive play calls that didn't work (just logged in & can't back that up yet, but this would be a 1st if it's not happening).

I've never seen the Patriots trying a deep pass in that situation,

They usually eat the clock and score with few seconds left.

They don't leave 3 minutes to the opponents

It's not aggressive. It's stupid

No I'm sorry

I have never like that type of calls (something the Eagles love to do)

You don't run to score when you have to run the clock

We just needed 3 points, not 7

All we had to do was running the clock

Even with a TD, the Panthers would have had 3 minutes or more to score again

We'd just missed an easy FG the drive before.

There are a lot of plays we send a receiver deep & Ryan throws a different direction underneath. Really don't see the problem with the route (although I do understand your point about running to take the time off the clock). The QB's decision to throw that pass is definitely questionable.

If you want to question a coaches decision, how about going for two after the TD?

If you want to question a coaches decision, how about going for two after the TD?

I don't see how that could even be questioned. Going for 2 was the right call, without any doubt at all.

However, I totally agree with you on this play. If Matt had a good chance to complete the pass, then fine. The problem was the double or triple coverage and the small space he had to throw it into.

I don't see how that could even be questioned. Going for 2 was the right call, without any doubt at all.

However, I totally agree with you on this play. If Matt had a good chance to complete the pass, then fine. The problem was the double or triple coverage and the small space he had to throw it into.

With 13:50 left to play???? How was that the right call?

As you saw, Carolina scored and with their extra point we were then 9 points down and needed 2 scores to win. Kick the XP at 13 minutes & when we got the ball back for our last possession with under 2 minutes left, we still would have only needed the 1 score to have a chance to tie. Absolutely the wrong call. JMO.

With 13:50 left to play???? How was that the right call?

As you saw, Carolina scored and with their extra point we were then 9 points down and needed 2 scores to win. Kick the XP at 13 minutes & when we got the ball back for our last possession with under 2 minutes left, we still would have only needed the 1 score to have a chance to tie. Absolutely the wrong call. JMO.

I'll bump the other thread where we talked about this. Gimme a sec.

Absolutely, positively, without any question whatsoever that was the right call.

This was a totally different situation. It actually would have benefited us more if we would have played more conservatively on that last drive.

It was not like we needed a TD. The only thing we needed was a FG. That is the time to get conservative and eat up clock.... not in the 1st quarter and virtually all game.

It was not like we needed a TD. The only thing we needed was a FG. That is the time to get conservative and eat up clock.... not in the 1st quarter and virtually all game.

Well scoring a TD is always better than a FG. And being up by 5 is always better than being up by 1.

If you have a good chance to complete the pass, then it's fine. No one would be complaining if it was a catch. But Ryan shouldn't have tried it, because Jenkins was surrounded and not really open.

I didn't understand why Moose was saying we shouldn't have. An extra point still meant we were down by 1 and not converting only put us down 2.

Someone called that pass

Ryan pass was horrid, but the call was even worse

You don't call a deep pass on 1st and 10 on the 49 yards line with 4 minutes left.

It just doesn't make sense

No one "called" the deep pass.

Ryan read the coverage and threw a poor pass into double coverage.

Quit trying to blame Mularky.

This one is all on Ryan.

I didn't understand why Moose was saying we shouldn't have. An extra point still meant we were down by 1 and not converting only put us down 2.

The way the game played out, when we got the ball back the last time, we were down 2 scores. That's why we should have went for 1 when we failed on the 2 pt. conversion. If we had just kicked the XP, on that last possession, we still would have had the chance to tie, instead of needing a score, onside kick and another score with one of those having to be a touchdown.

The way the game played out, when we got the ball back the last time, we were down 2 scores. That's why we should have went for 1 when we failed on the 2 pt. conversion. If we had just kicked the XP, on that last possession, we still would have had the chance to tie, instead of needing a score, onside kick and another score with one of those having to be a touchdown.

Eh, I think you have an opportunity to tie in the 4th after trailing most of the game you go for it. Especially if you can still go up with a FG if you get a stop.

There is a very big problem in the logic of your argument. Your solution requires the team to succeed on a single 2-point conversion either way (earlier or later). That being the case, would you rather be tied or down by 1 in the 4th quarter? No brainer.

Edited by Firstiary

Naw dawg! Being agreesive is going for it on 4th and 2. Being stupid is throwing a deep ball on a play action fake on the 50 yard line. All we needed was 3. RUN the ball. Keep the momentum going. Bad throw, worse play calling.