ATTENTION: Is anyone here a lawyer?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer is the Commerce Clause. Good luck!

:lol::lol:

Ours was actually on whether or not the writ of habeas corpus should extend to detainees at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan, and we had to argue both sides. It was a real page turner. I'm pretty sick of the commerce clause, and it's technically non-existent step brother, the dormant commerce clause.

I am a lawyer, and you law students are causing me distress reminding me about law school.

PI and WC. If you have a question about how to avoid getting taxed on money you have raised through an existing business entity, without setting up a proper non-profit, not sure i can help, but I'll try.

I've got three words for the law students: Uniform Commercial Code.

You too man, keep up those grades. My grades first semester . . . not that good. Got the first C I've ever had in my life in contracts. But I worked my butt off in the spring and pulled my grades up tremendously, and I hope to keep it at an upward trend.

Funny thing about Contract Law. As a Business Development Executive, I work with our corporate lawyers regarding contracts. My role is to lead the negotiations to ensure Revenue and GP goals are achieved for the line organization while my counsel is there to identify Risk. If you practice in corporate law after you graduate, it will serve you well to remember that your role is to identify risk, help with the mitigation, but remember that counsel does not have the final say. Sometimes, company decisions will go against recommendations, as mine, and you need to be ok with that. If not, I would practice in another area.

Good luck with school guys and hope you do well... Law is a great field and will be very rewarding to you financially, especially if you own or become a partner in a firm. The best way to make some serious cash, is to have lawyers working for you that are billable. That way, you can work less, and make more.

KB

Edited by whitekb011

You too man, keep up those grades. My grades first semester . . . not that good. Got the first C I've ever had in my life in contracts. But I worked my butt off in the spring and pulled my grades up tremendously, and I hope to keep it at an upward trend.

Woah, a C? What kind of curve do they have over there? As someone who has had their fair share of C's, I plan on staying at B+ or above. Maybe I just got all my C's finished with in high school and undergrad :lol:

I am a lawyer, and you law students are causing me distress reminding me about law school.

I like to spread the stress. Especially by messing with the other students :lol:

Good luck with school guys and hope you do well... Law is a great field and will be very rewarding to you financially, especially if you own or become a partner in a firm. The best way to make some serious cash, is to have lawyers working for you that are billable. That way, you can work less, and make more.

Thanks. Currently the jury is out on if this will be financially rewarding. I might be the guy with a JD working at Target stocking the shelves. I want the days of redonkulous salaries for everyone back! And yes, I subscribe to the American dream of doing little work and making lots of money.

Funny thing about Contract Law. As a Business Development Executive, I work with our corporate lawyers regarding contracts. My role is to lead the negotiations to ensure Revenue and GP goals are achieved for the line organization while my counsel is there to identify Risk. If you practice in corporate law after you graduate, it will serve you well to remember that your role is to identify risk, help with the mitigation, but remember that counsel does not have the final say. Sometimes, company decisions will go against recommendations, as mine, and you need to be ok with that. If not, I would practice in another area.

KB

The firm I work for during the summers does alot of health care transactional work, and we help the providers renegotiate their managed care contracts with the insurer networks because most of the time some hospital exec just signed it without looking at it, and the terms and rates are alot more favorable to the insurer. We see what they want in the contracts, but they largely support what we suggest. It's pretty interesting stuff.

Woah, a C? What kind of curve do they have over there? As someone who has had their fair share of C's, I plan on staying at B+ or above. Maybe I just got all my C's finished with in high school and undergrad :lol:

I like to spread the stress. Especially by messing with the other students :lol:

Thanks. Currently the jury is out on if this will be financially rewarding. I might be the guy with a JD working at Target stocking the shelves. I want the days of redonkulous salaries for everyone back! And yes, I subscribe to the American dream of doing little work and making lots of money.

It was a C+, but we had a pretty tough contracts teacher. It's funny though, because I still felt like I learned more in his class than the others, haha. I just didn't prepare adequately. It was the first and thus far only, and I plan on keeping it that way.